GOTY 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: GOTY 2017

Post by Todinho »

Turns out I played few games this year so I'll only list 5:

Nioh- I playedthrough this game 3 times already and I love it to bits, this isnt a "soulslike" if anything it's an evolution in that genre, the perfect blend of an action rpg and a character action game, not only that but I really have to commend Team ninja for listening to the playerbase and adding things months after launch, this is something they've been doing since the alpha demo and it really shows how much they care, if I were to have a single game of the year Nioh would be it.

Hollow Knight-Now this is soulslike through and through and I love it, it has it's flaws but as I said this is my favorite metroidvania since Symphony of the Night, Hollow Knight nails the joy of exploration of gaining new abilities and experimenting with combat and somehow it even makes plataforming fun. That's saying nothing of the artstyle, music, tone and story of the game which are all great and can match any souls game in terms of atmosphere any day, also another game where devs just keeps adding free content to it =D.

Horizon Zero Dawn- Yeah it's check list open world game but it's the finest example of this genre, it's just big enough for you to get lost in but not enough to feel overwhelming by all the pop ups, also the gameplay here is really fun I enjoyed hunting machines with a bow and arrow way more then I ever thought I would, each machine is unique with it's weakness and fighting styles, one time you're fighting a giant T-rex with laser cannons and the other an invisible panther with a sniper rifle and I loved encountering and fighting each one of them. The story also really surprised me, hiding in this game is one of the best science fiction stories I've seen in games in a long time, I didnt really see it coming(insert persona joke here, man I really need to get that game :cry: )

Resident Evil 7- A step in all the right directions, this is a return to form and it's a classic Resident Evil game in almost everyway being more faithfull to it then any resident evil game post 4, also for once a resident evil story is somewhat good, I mean it's not shakespeare or anything but it works. Im really looking foward to what the RE team can build upon the foundations laid here.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen- I loved XCOM2 and war of the Chosen just improves and adds to something that was already great, adding nemesis system with this cool new boss enemies, the Lost, new hero units,soldier bonds, etc. It's a pretty brutal game at times but always a joy to play and as far as Im concerned, gameplaywise it's the best strategy game I've played to date.

honorable mention: Cuphead I started this a few days ago and finnished world 1 so I doubt I finnish it before New Years but Im loving everything about it so far :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

From what you said Hollow Knight looks right up my street. Fingers crossed it gets a PS4 or Vita release.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Still a few things from this year I didn’t get to play yet, but here we go anyway.

For me Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn are tied for first still. Both are amazing open world games with a few flaws, and each fixes the issues of the other. In future years I suspect it’s the Zelda game we’ll look back on as being the most influential, but the delicately crafted plot in Horizon shouldn’t be ignored.

The indie I had most fun with this year was probably The Sexy Brutale. I’m a little biased cause I know the developers very well (Lionhead massive in the house! Represent!) but this is a clever little game that sits about halfway between a point and click adventure and a walking sim. It’ll no doubt be discounted in sales by now, so do give it a chance.

On mobile, of the games released this year (sorry hearthstone) I probably spent the most time playing Fire Emblem Heroes. It’s very lightweight, don’t go in expecting anything as complex as the 3ds games, and yes, it’s a gacha collecting game, but the polish here is astounding. If you played it early in the year then walked away, give it another look as they’ve added a lot more story content and new game mechanics since then.

Honourable mentions: What Remains of Edith Finch, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, C.A.T.S.
Games that would probably be in the list if I’d played them: Hellblade, Shadow Tactics.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

2017 was a real good year of gaming for me but I only actually played three games from this year. So in terms of least best to best those games are Yooka Laylee, Sonic Mania and Horizon Zero Dawn. If I added all the games that I played to qualify for GOTY 2017 then Undertale is definitely tied with Horizon for my GOTY. Enjoyed everything this year with the sad exception of Grim Fandango, gameplay just did not gel with me.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I have managed to cram 2 days' worth of Breath of the Wild into the very last two days of the year, and... fine. The internet consensus is correct. GOTY.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve got to go for Elevator Action on PS4, an Arcade Archives release late in the year. I’ve loved this game for decades and by default any new version that appears is game of the year! As far as actual new games go though, I think Stardew Valley narrowly beats Everybody’s Golf as my game of the year. Here’s my top ten...

1. Elevator Action
2. Stardew Valley (PS4)
3. Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS)
4. Everybody’s Golf (PS4)
5. Pokemon Gold (3DS) Okay, it’s another pure re-release!
6. Wipeout Omega Collection (PS4)
7. Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS)
8. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (iOS)
9. Resident Evil Biohazard
10. Rogue Trooper Redux (PS4)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Here’s hoping we get another rerelease of Elevator Action Returns!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 31st, 2017, 9:06 pm Here’s hoping we get another rerelease of Elevator Action Returns!
I was just looking at the Most Anticipated thread and thinking exactly that!!! About time we had a definitive Taito Legends collection on PS4 - Operation Wolf, Bubbke Bobble, New Zealand Story... Top ten of the year all in one convenient package!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Somehow, in a year where my favorite developer released two of the best rated games ever, in two of my favorite series, neither is my GotY. For me, Persona 5 takes that honor. Other great games this year, in rough order of release:

Dragon Quest 8
I've enjoyed every DQ game I've played, and I've played almost all of them at this point, but DQ8 blew the rest of them away.

Tales of Berseria
Tales has been one of my favorite RPG series for a while, but the last couple of games have not been great. Berseria might be my new favorite game in the series, I hope it's a sign of more to come.

BotW
I feel like everyone else must be playing a different game. It's a perfectly good game, and I wish I loved it as much as everyone else seems too, but I just can't get over the loss of so much of what makes Zelda special to me.

Metroid: Samus returns
The first real 2D Metroid game in over a decade did not disappoint. Mercury Steam managed to make a great Metroid game, and if they're not working on Metroid 5 yet, they should be.

Super Mario Odessy
Unlike Zelda, Mario totally lived up to the hype for me. The movement felt fantastic, and it was exactly the game I've been waiting to play since Sunshine.

Fire Emblem Warriors
This one came out of nowhere for me. I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, but I expected this to be a fun distraction for 20 hours or so. 100 hours later, I still can't explain WHY I enjoy playing what is essentially the same 5 missions over and over again, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the DLC.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
It's slightly unfair to call Persona 5 my GotY, since I haven't finished Xenoblade yet, and so far it's fantastic, but P5 is a high enough bar that I don't expect Xenoblade to beat it.

It's been a really good year.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I'm sure we'll get into it when it's inevitably covered on the show, but I will say this about BotW - I have only played one other Zelda game and I bounced off of it hard. BotW was for me a pretty brave departure from everything Zelda-like, and while I appreciate some things were lost I think a lot has been gained. This is a real fresh start and I think several elements of what people loved about the older games could be re-introduced to this new template in the next iteration; however I think everything had to be thrown out in this first outing in order to make a bold break from the formula.

I'm also coming at Zelda from the perspective of someone who has primarily been playing non-Nintendo open-world adventures for a decade. I can't overstate how much this feels like a much needed shake up of the fundamentals. The joy of exploration and discovery in this game is possibly unparalleled.

For me, of course. It's all relative!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

For months, my game of the year was Breath of the Wild, that was until the unexpected happened, Assassins Creed Origins.

Having played all the previous entries in the franchise you'd think I'd have jumped at the chance to play the new entry, but I was burnt out and had no desire to play the game.

However, due to a mix of me being weak and having some trade in credit at Game I thought I'd give Origins a bash.

At first I was disappointed, it felt like more of the same with a worse combat mechanic. How wrong I was however, as the game gripped me like no other in 2017.

The setting is wonderful, the fact you can tackle missions your way, the combat works and the characters are likeable in a way they haven't been in the series for some time. There are just so many things that make me love this game.

I've ploughed almost 60 hours into Origins, and there are still a few things here and there for me to do. As soon as some DLC is released I'll be jumping back in.

I can't recommend this game enough, and had you told me at the start of the year that Assassins Creed would be the best game I played in 2017, well I'd have laughed at you.

An amazing package that I urge everyone to try, even if you've not enjoyed the previous entries in the series.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hey all - without spoiling anything whatsoever (I've managed to be completely blind on this game. Like totally I know nothing other than it shares some DNA with Gone Home and its ilk) - will I lose anything by playing the game via remote play on Vita? As in, are there any aspects of the game which require the use of the Dual Shock motion control or touch pad in any meaningful way? Both are emulated well by Vita during remote play, but it's not quite the same.

Thanks!

EDIT: What do you mean you can't read my mind!? I'm talking about Edith Finch! :lol:
James

Post by James »

Well, I didn't get to Hellblade, Nier: Automata, Night In The Woods, Observer, Gorogoa, Future Unfolding, Hollow Knight, Nex Machina, Pyre, Dead Cells, or The Long Dark before the new year rang out. I will, but until then, here goes...

Honourable mentions for a few games that I loved, but were re-releases or ports of games released prior to 2017:
Bleed - Love this game. Great to have it (and soon its sequel) available on a modern console.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Obviously. ;-)
Seasons After Fall - Released to console this year. Lovely Metroidvania-lite.
Shadow Tactics: Blades Of The Shogun - Released to console this year. Tough, stealthy tactics in period Japan.
The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - Up-to-date Isaac, back on a handheld console. :mrgreen:

As for the Top 10, it actually wasn't too much of a wrench to select them this year. I even feel I've got them in an order I'm happy with too.

10 RiME
A wonderful fairytale. Bright, colourful, and full of charm.

9 Injustice 2
Chock-a-block full of modes, characters, and unlockables. The blueprint for what modern fighting games ought be providing the player, IMO.

8 Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider
I really do feel the shorter, more focused Dishonored (sic) stories offer a tighter experience than their longer brethren. More Billie Lurk please.

7 Snipperclips
The best single hour I spent with a game this year was on the couch, playing Snipperclips with my better half.

6 Prey
I think Prey does some truly unique stuff with pacing in particular, but it also played with psychology, perspective, exploration, side stories and augmentations in ways that, to my mind, match the very best of the immersive sim genre.

5 Tacoma
As above re. stories and perspective. Tacoma was a short, but oh so (bitter)sweet journey into a difficult future of space labour and automation.

4 Super Mario Odyssey
Hands down one of my favourite Mario experiences. Ingenuity and quirk abound, and I've only seen about half of it!

3 What Remains Of Edith Finch
Touching and quirky. A family story that surprised with each vignette, and I've been thinking about ever since.

2 Cuphead
One more go in run 'n' gun form. Each boss is a marvellous little exercise in design that kept me joyfully battering my head against the wall until it broke open like a candy-filled pinata. True, devilish bliss. :twisted:

1 The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
Every so often I play a game and right from the off know it's an all-timer. A Link To The Past stood for a long time as my only Zelda experience, until A Link Between Worlds gave me a fitting continuation of that story. Breath Of The Wild feels like it fits perfectly after those two, even with all that's come between. I truly felt uplifted each time I turned the Switch on to play, from hour 1 to hour 115. Hello Link, my old friend.

That I still have a dozen or more of 2017's best to tuck into is an incredibly enticing and daunting thought. If 2018 can come anywhere close to matching its forebear then I'm in for a treat. :ugeek:
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

It's probably a confluence of factors that makes me feel so positively towards it, which means my opinion of it is likely to change significantly over time. First, I'm a huge fan of the series already and predisposed towards liking them (though, admittedly, the last few entries probably would not have topped a GOTY list had I been making them at at the time). It's a much-needed total reimagining of a series whose formula still worked, but the teams put in charge of refining that formula were clearly running out of ideas on what to do with it. More than a reimagining of the series formula, it completely turns the genre it represents on its head, transforming the open-world genre from retrieving a series of GPS tokens on a map to actually discovering, exploring, and inhabiting an open world.. Probably most significantly, it's been an absolutely miserable year to which this game has been one of the few rays of sunshine.

So.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I don't even know what my Number 2 game of the year is but the distance between it and Breath of the Wild is a chasm you couldn't see the other end of with a telescope.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nicely expressed, Andrew.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Thank you.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 5:40 pm Hey all - without spoiling anything whatsoever (I've managed to be completely blind on this game. Like totally I know nothing other than it shares some DNA with Gone Home and its ilk) - will I lose anything by playing the game via remote play on Vita? As in, are there any aspects of the game which require the use of the Dual Shock motion control or touch pad in any meaningful way? Both are emulated well by Vita during remote play, but it's not quite the same.

Thanks!

EDIT: What do you mean you can't read my mind!? I'm talking about Edith Finch! :lol:
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the game uses traditional controls the whole way through, sticks and bumpers.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My GOTY by a mile was:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Never put it down from the moment I started playing it and did 90% of the sidequests (the only ones I have not done are the time trial ones). Played the DLC day one too which was also amazing.

2nd Place

Resident Evil 7

Again completed it in one weekend and loved it. Massive fan of the series (apart from 6) so was a day one purchase for me. I picked up PSVR later on in the year and have gone back to it and it holds up as well in VR.

3rd place would have been Life Is Strange Before The Storm but the last episode ruined it a little.

Notable mentions to Mario Odyssey and Zelda. I picked up a Switch late December so have only dipped my toes in both. After a rocky start with Zelda I am starting to get into it now.
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 5:40 pm ...will I lose anything by playing the game via remote play on Vita? As in, are there any aspects of the game which require the use of the Dual Shock motion control or touch pad in any meaningful way? Both are emulated well by Vita during remote play, but it's not quite the same.
I played on Xbox One, so I can't say for sure how it plays on PS4. But it was all sticks and face buttons on Xbox.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks both - think I'll give it a try via remote play then. Much more likely to get played that way!