Most Anticipated 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Most Anticipated 2018

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm personally super excited for Monster Hunter World and Sea of Thieves but I know there's more to come... I just can't see beyond those two right now.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm not the kind of player who buys tons of new games at launch or who likes to spend too much time speculating and fantasizing about upcoming releases. It's not because I'm losing my passion for the medium (far from it), but my philosophy has always been to focus my attention on the vast and easily accessible library of titles already at my disposal rather than wasting my time and energy hyping myself up and paying ungodly sums for what amounts to little more than unknown quantities. Not to mention that this philosophy has noticeably strengthened in recent years due to the increasingly unreliable nature of the industry. So in that regard, I believe that my 2018 will look very similar to my 2017: I'll play / replay a bunch of classics, keep on playing my current mainstay titles like Rocket League and Resogun, and limit my new purchases to a minimum.

Looking at the horizon, Yakuza 6 is probably one of two games I plan on buying at launch. The series holds a very special place in my heart and I can't wait to finally see how this final chapter will unfold after staying clear of spoilers for so many years. The other is God of War, because I feel like giving Cory Barlog the benefit of the doubt after his excellent work on GoW2. Other than that, nothing is certain. I'd love to finally be able to play Nioh as soon as a complete physical edition releases, but this doesn't seem to be a priority on the part of the publisher as far as I can tell. I'd be interested in getting into Monster Hunter and this new installment looks good from afar, but open world games are very quick to land on my mental "Maybe Later" pile due to the oversaturation of this genre I frankly dislike to begin with.

Certainly hoping for a couple of little surprises along the way, though!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I'm certainly more on Ksub's page - there's a greater joy in digging something special out of a sale or my own backlog than there is in hype for an upcoming release.

That said, I'm happy to get a little hyped for Sea of Thieves. Could be special.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Until Nintendo gives us more details about their lineup, the thing I'm most looking forward to is probably the expansion for Civ 6.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 30th, 2017, 2:19 pm I'm not the kind of player who buys tons of new games at launch or who likes to spend too much time speculating and fantasizing about upcoming releases. It's not because I'm losing my passion for the medium (far from it), but my philosophy has always been to focus my attention on the vast and easily accessible library of titles already at my disposal rather than wasting my time and energy hyping myself up and paying ungodly sums for what amounts to little more than unknown quantities.
Right there with you. On top of that, I also collect games for legacy systems for the purpose of playing them, so I'm spoilt for choice. I remember getting a Dreamcast in 2010 and being as excited about the system and building a small initial library for it as I usually am about getting a brand new gaming system!

That said, I also can barely wait for the (free!) Arcade Edition update for SFV.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Detroit for me.

Most people are not overly fond but in Heavy Rain I have had one of my best gaming moments so I will forgive him Beyond which had a couple of good points.

Red Dead probably but will see.

Hope SFV is great. I bought it day one and never clicked with it, I still boot up IV instead if I need a SF fix.
Beck

Post by Beck »

DomsBeard wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 3:31 pm Hope SFV is great. I bought it day one and never clicked with it, I still boot up IV instead if I need a SF fix.
I'm with you Dom. I've preordered Arcade Edition though as it looks like the cheapest way to get back into it. I'd be up for some fights, if you dive back in :)

Dragonball Fighterz was preordered today as well, I'm normally don't preorder but I get the feeling I'll love this game. I'll give it a trial during the open beta this month just to double check.
James

Post by James »

So. Many. Games.

The Room: Old Sins, A Way Out, Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night (maybe?), System Shock (remake), EITR (finally?), and loads and loads that there's no release date for as yet. I'd pop Bayonetta 3, Metro Exodus, Ori & The Will O' The Wisps, and Below on here, for example, but I'm not sure they'll see 2018.

Kinda wait-and-see on a bunch (Detroit, Griftlands, Onrush, RDR2, Spider-Man, State Of Decay 2, Vampyr), meaning 2018 feels like more of an unknown quantity than 2017 did at this stage, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is a definite for me too. Lots of excitement about the upcoming characters and the overhaul in general. The 30th Anniversary Collection has me equally excited, to be honest. Really hoping for a definitive Street Fighter celebration, where SFIITHDR and USFII kinda missed the mark (in different ways). Please Capcom!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Creative Assembly just announced a new Total War game based on the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history. I’m expecting it to leave the more fantastical elements to Koei and the Dynasty Warriors games, but it’ll still be interesting to see a fresh take on the source material. I’ve always thought there was scope for someone else to give it a try.