Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndrewBrown

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: February 21st, 2018, 6:43 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]

A simple line-drawing puzzle game: Draw a line through a pre-defined space, navigating around obstacles, to an endpoint. Some puzzles have multiple lines, and they cannot intersect. Some levels contain conveyer belts and wormholes that force the line to move to another spot in the space. The smartest puzzles require the player to put a first line midway along a conveyer belt to create a wall that stops a second line, then retract the first line, allowing the second line to "magically" ignore the rules of the conveyer belt. Only a small number of puzzles require this tactic to solve. Each board has a number of tokens placed on it which require more complicated puzzle solutions to achieve; acquiring all the tokens felt like the "real" way to play the game, as ignoring them makes even the hardest levels trivially easy. The entire game is overlaid with an aesthetic of expanding and retracting dogs and dog-related paraphernalia. They're simple, cute, and well-animated, but their presence is a gimmick and nothing more. There are only eighty puzzles and only a handful of them provide any real challenge. The puzzles seem to be arranged in no particular scale of relative difficulty. But it's hard to complain as the game is a bargain price. An adequate distraction for a couple hours.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 4:40 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
23/02: Fe [Switch]

Okay, first things first: It's pronounced "fee-uh."

You play as a critter in an alien forest. Life is simple; you co-exist with the other forest animals, learning their songs and befriending them and generally treating their homes as your playground. You can find a selection of stones hidden throughout the environment, which unlock new abilities when you reach certain milestones, and also find stone tablets dotted around which give an oblique history of your home. It's most definitely a 3D platformer. But then creatures in sinister mechanical suits arrive and start capturing the other animals, and you set out to free them.

Fe's strength is how esoteric it is. I think it's unfair to compare it directly to Journey; it's not as directed or spiritual, but it does draw from Journey a refusal to explain plainly what the situation is. I imagine this is because the player is literally cast as a relatively primitive life form. It's intelligent and capable of empathy, but it lacks the understanding to comprehend the invaders which enter its home. Even all the way to Fe's surprising climax and muted ending, just who these invaders are and why they are doing the things they are doing remains unclear. Nothing else is explained either; I had to refer to everything within my limited understanding of its existence as viewed through the consciousness of a primitive monkey-rabbit. I don't know what the names of anything are because Fe doesn't want to tell me; even what the title refers to is a complete mystery. Fe exists right on the precipice between being vague and having no actual answers to be discovered, and if there's a community that builds around this game they will definitely be debating this subject for a long time to come.

But Fe's strongest aspects are its sound and visual design. The animal's songs are wonderfully alien; bizarre, yet musical. The invaders have a harsh, discordant tone to them, sounding menacing and a stark contrast to the "natural-digital" sounds of the animals and the forest. The music is great as well, with a somber, thoughtful cello underlying seemingly every environment which dies away when the invaders around, replacing it with a harsh staccato electronic track. It's visually strong as well, perhaps too obviously manufactured and digital, but effectively evoking a feeling of existing in an alien forest. There are trees, water, mushrooms, flowers, etc. etc. etc. but everything is just a little off in its coloring and shapes.

The best moment I had in the game was discovering a creature literally bigger than the monsters of Shadow of the Colossus... and yes, you get to the climb the thing, using trees growing from its size as anchors while you glide from roost to roost. The music of this moment really sells it, rising in triumph and wonder as you reach the summit at the creature's head to learn its song. This sequence alone was worth Fe's price tag.

It took me right around five hours to beat, but I didn't get all the collectibles.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)

Yup, it's Bayo 2 alright. Still just as fantastic as ever. But this time, on the Switch! I would have liked it if they could maybe have improved the resolution a bit, and perhaps tweaked some of the mechanics to address issues some players had with it. But on that latter point, considering that was never a problem for me in the first place, I don't mind. Still an absolute blast and a strong contender for all-time favourite.

I did have a quick go at playing in handheld mode, but I very quickly switched back to playing on the TV. As cool as the idea of portable Bayonetta is, I found it to be not a good way to play the game at all. There's way too much going on for that to be viable. Also the performance takes a big hit, as one might expect. Also kind of interesting that they renamed the difficulty settings in this version. Probably a good idea. The whole "1st/2nd/3rd Climax" thing even threw me off a bit at first. They just renamed them to Easy, Normal, and Hard. Infinite Climax is still the same, which I think it should be.
James

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
3rd Jan - Hidden Folks (Android)
13th Jan - Bleed 2 (PC)
13th Jan - Bleed (Xbox One)
14th Jan - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
16th Jan - Scanner Sombre (PC)
17th Jan - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4)
21st Jan - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One)
24th Feb - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (RetroPie - PSX)

Will contain my excitement for the podcast.

Also, in case "The Feds" are reading this, I own a PlayStation copy that I bought just last week from CeX. I couldn't be bothered to dig out our PS2 and hook it up though. Embrace the digital future! :ugeek:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

James wrote: February 24th, 2018, 3:31 pm Embrace the digital future!
With the constant reports of server shutdowns and games being pulled from digital "shelves" following the expiration of licensing deals or other such nonsense, thanks but no thanks. I'll embrace digital distribution as soon as it'll be as reliable, timeless and consumer-friendly as physical distribution, which might very well never end up being the case as far as I can tell.

Convenience isn't everything.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

January - Jade Empire: Special Edition (PC)
February - Resident Evil HD Remaster, Jill playthrough (PC)

February - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)

Another LucasArts point-and-click tackled in tandem with the missus, and this time we managed to get through without looking up a single solution online! There were a few times when we came very close though, as evidenced by our 17-hour completion time (howlongtobeat.com has the average at around 8.5 hours...).

It's certainly not the prettiest game around, with graphics that really show their age, but it's strange how after a relatively short time you can quickly become acclimatised to ropey visuals. We enjoyed the experience overall, although would quite gladly have done without some of the minigame-style sections. That hot air balloon - argghh!
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 9:51 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]

Old Man's Journey is not at all what I expected. I thought it would be another narrative game, perhaps in the style of Oxenfree. Instead... it's a puzzle platformer. Players guide the Old Man through the countryside (I believe it's set in France), using a cursor to lower and raise the hills to create new paths for the Old Man to follow. The interface is clean and effective; if a path can be followed between two hills, their intersecting point will be denoted by a small circle. Hills the Old Man are standing on cannot be moved, and occasionally obstacles such as impassable herds of sheep and waterfalls which carry the Old Man to a lower hill must be bypassed. It doesn't try to be anything more than this; the entire game is spent solving platforming puzzles by raising and lowering hills to create new paths.

Old Man's Journey has a lovely painterly style to it—I hesitate to ascribe a specific medium to it, because I'd probably be wrong, but it reminds me of many illustrated children's books Ive read—and simple, evocative animation. These in particular help to sell the story which is told. Periodically through the old man's Journey, he will stop and reminisce about what has brought him to this point in his life. This is captured in a simple vignette, a single image in time with minimal animation to it, before cutting back to the Old Man as he sets off again to his destination. It's a story told in a minimalist style, devoid of dialog, and it made me a little misty when I got to the ending. The ending is a little predictable, and perhaps overly sentimental—I don't think the mistakes the Old Man has made would be forgiven as easily as shown here—but Old Man's Journey tells it well. It's a story about regret and shame, but told in an upbeat way. The nuance and heartbreak of what's happening in these relationships couldn't be portrayed in the way this story is being told.

I appreciate Old Man's Journey for being what it is. It has one idea for a puzzle, and it follows through it. It has a simple story, and it tells that story. There are no desperate notions of making it a "videogame" by hiding tokens in out-of-the-way places. There are no enemies or bosses to fight. It lasts only as long as it needs to—I beat it in an hour and a half—and it ends once it's done everything it wanted to. It's gorgeously animated and has a beautiful soundtrack. I have a lot of respect for Old Man's Journey.

As to the digital discussion:

Give me physical any day. I'll happily wait a few extra months for a physical release of a digitally released game and pay a few extra bucks for it (though I have my limits of how much more I'm willing to pay). I don't trust digital storefronts. They're unreliable; they can go down through human error, or through the actions of certain malicious groups who seek only to irritate and enrage other people. Having said that, I recognize that digital storefronts have created a market far more conducive to certain budgets and design philosophies. The Indie videogame ecosystem couldn't exist without the digital distribution model, and there are too many great games (many of the best of the past few years, as far as I'm concerned) that wouldn't exist without digital distribution. So my compromise is this: Once I download a game, it stays downloaded. I don't delete it. Ever. If a game is too large for it to be practical to be downloaded at all times, then I own it physically, or I don't own it at all. These are exclusively AAA games so it hasn't been a problem yet, as AAA remains easy to get physically.

But we are clearly heading down a road where videogames will only be available digitally. I don't think the physical market will ever fade away entirely—even today, enthusiasts can buy vinyl printings of contemporary music if they know where to look—but it will be an option available only to diehard collectors willing to pay out the nose. I don't know what I'll do when that day comes. Certainly, I don't have the budget to buy physical games printed solely for collectors with lots of disposable incomes. Digital storage options are getting more and more effective by the day thanks to the Singularity. I remember ten years ago thinking it was preposterous that the Wii was trying to make downloadable content viable using SD cards; today I plug MicroSD cards with massive storage capacities into my Switch without a second thought. As storage options get cheaper and cheaper and larger and large, owning games digitally may cease to be an issue for me.

But I still don't like digital storefronts. I think they're a scam. You don't own a game; you own a license to play a game on that service. Once the storefront is gone, or if business changes the availability of the game on that venue, you can't access it anymore. And what happens if the internet is inaccessible, for whatever reason? If you can't afford an internet connection anymore, or if some global catastrophe shuts down the internet for large portions of the populace, if not all of them, then you can't play it if you want to. My friend Leif Johnson spent a long time living in rural Texas, where downloading a PS4 game would take days, if not weeks, on the only internet available to him. This is the main reason why once I download a game, I never delete it. I don't know where I'll be next week, or next year. It may well be that I won't have access to videogames in that unknown future. But if I do, I don't want to have half my collection inaccessible for something as dumb as a broadband internet connection.

The Wii Shop will be closed within a year. Everything on it will disappear. Digital games vanish from the Android and iOS stores daily without explanation. Admittedly, and vocally, I don't like most of these games. But I still recognize them as a valid and valuable form of art. Even games I hate, I don't want to see them vanish altogether. I don't know what the solution to these problems are; they may be none, an entire generation of art and artist's labor enthralled to the whims of capitalism. In time, pirates who are scorned by today's businesses may be seen as saviors of a generation of videogames. I'm learning to live with this trend as well as I can. It has pros and cons. But I see videogames going down a road with consequences too few people seem aware of, or willing to reckon with.
James

Post by James »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 24th, 2018, 4:02 pm
James wrote: February 24th, 2018, 3:31 pm Embrace the digital future!
With the constant reports of server shutdowns and games being pulled from digital "shelves" following the expiration of licensing deals or other such nonsense, thanks but no thanks. I'll embrace digital distribution as soon as it'll be as reliable, timeless and consumer-friendly as physical distribution, which might very well never end up being the case as far as I can tell.

Convenience isn't everything.
'Twas, of course, a joke.

That said, whilst you're right for most games, more and more of the discs we buy will be nought but coasters within two months of release. Physical distribution doesn't insure the purchaser against server shutdown, nor the barely-playable unpatched versions that reside on those discs.

And I agree that reliable, timeless, consumer-friendly digital distribution will never be the reality, almost certainly. Doesn't mean that physical releases will put the consumer in a much better position though. Sadly.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, terrible shame though that is, it also seems inescapably more true every day that goes by.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

February - Super Metroid (SNES Classic Mini)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

James wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:47 pm 'Twas, of course, a joke.
Yes I assumed it was, but since that exact same phrase is constantly being used in an unironic way in order to paint advocates of physical distribution as bothersome Luddites, I thought I would use your post as jumping-off point for a broader discussion.

With that being said, I don't disagree with anything you've pointed out. Physical distribution is unfortunately nowhere near as reliable nowadays as it was a couple of generations ago.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

ThirdMan wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:43 pmSo I finally have a Mario game under my belt!
As do I. I beat Super Mario Odyssey tonight. I'm glad the last level wasn't spoiled for me.

This was the first Mario game I've actually beaten!

I also finished Lego City Undercover for the Switch this past weekend. Very fun game!
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

February - Super Metroid (SNES Classic Mini)

After a slow start to the year, now my third in 24 hours (it's been a very quiet weekend...)!

February - Resident Evil HD Remaster, Chris playthrough (PC)
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

February 4th - DOOM (Switch)
February 7th - Oxenfree (Switch)
February 17th - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)

February 25th - The Fall Part 2: Unbound (Switch)

I really enjoyed Part 1 of The Fall on Wii U. A sci-fi story unlike anything I've played before, with odd characters, black humour, bleak aesthetic and some strange puzzles.

Part 2 feels like the character and aesthetic are well and truly intact, but the puzzles seem a lot more click and hope than before. I suspect that's because the fractured narrative and plot of interlinked AIs malfunctioning means it's very dense, cerebral and often pretty obscure. I found myself plain stuck on a fair few occasions, randomly switching between characters and hoping that something I'd clicked on before would now make sense in a very slightly different context. The combat wasn't great, something the first part rightly largely ignored, and the repetitive nature of the tasks meant I found myself getting irritated a fair bit by the heavy handed, awkward script. It was a bit glitchy too, with a few crashes and disabled prompts.

All in all, I do like the series, even if it's more of an interactive story than a game, in truth. It does something that no other title I can think of does and has had moments I'll recall for years, and for that reason alone I look forward to the final chapter. However that excitement has been dented by this cumbersome second chapter a tad. I think it'd make a good Cane & Rinse episode when complete though.

Part 1 is supposedly coming to Switch at some point too, for those who missed it...
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:53 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]

The second Minecraft-inspired videogame I've beaten this year, if we imagine Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, and Portal Knights existing on a spectrum between emphasis on building and emphasis on character development, Portal Knights is on the further end from Minecraft. Outfitting your character is important in Minecraft as it allows them to face the greater dangers in the deepest reaches of the world, but the equipment offers little in the way of choices, the combat is rudimentary, and it's all in service to building fancier and more intricate constructions. Portal Knights offers a greater choice of equipment across three different classes and a slew of upgradable crafting tables, and though you can build buildings from scratch if you want to, the environments offer you plenty of prefab structures you can move into. This is good because building things in Portal Knights doesn't feel as good as it does in Minecraft or Dragon Quest Builders; placing blocks feels imprecise and collecting enough of them to build structures large enough to house your possessions is a serious time investment. You can build things in Portal Knights, but you won't want to; it's easier just to pick an empty house and move in.

After outfitting your chosen class with the weapon and armor that best suits your play style, you can set out to combat the monsters of the fractured world. Combat is a step up from Minecraft, but still rudimentary. Using camera lock-on, you spam attacks at enemies and use a dodge roll to avoid highly telegraphed attacks. Most environments—48 in total—use palette swaps of the same few selection of enemies. There isn't much variety. Combat gets tedious fairly quickly.

All of the environments are procedurally generated into 48 decently-sized levels, and you can choose to explore your current world with any character on your file, explore a new world, or go online to play with others. Traveling between each level requires finding and activating a portal using shards that enemies drops; later portals take more shards to open, artificially lengthening the later portions of the videogame. Several others "dead end" on environments that have nominally "unique" features, but they're still procedurally generated and have the same stuff available in most other levels, so there's little reason to visit them unless you're really into exploring proc-gen worlds. Quests are similarly procedurally-generated and often request items which you have to travel back to your home to complete; after a few hours I started ignoring them as the loading screens became too much to bear, and the quests usually offer nothing of value. Seasonal and timed events pop up in various levels that give unique rewards to distract you from the main quest.

Its combat is straightforward and not particularly deep, enemy variety is lacking, so once you've delved to the bottom of each class's tech tree you've seen everything it has to offer. As a Minecraft-clone the building is weak and cumbersome. It's a fine distraction if you're looking for a Minecraft experience that focuses more on combat, but it's nothing to replace the original.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Life is Strange: Before the Storm - PS4.
(Jan) Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition - PS4.
(Jan) Watch Dogs II(platinum) - PS4.
(Feb) Marlow Briggs - Xbox 360.
(Feb) Shadow of the Colossus - PS4.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

The Evil Within 2(PS4)- Yeah I beat it and yeah it didnt get that much better, to be fair I think they improved on alot of things the original game dropped the ball on, I think the setting is well utilized this time and there are alot more creative set pieces, the boss fights are an improvement over the first games often 1-hit kos(though I'd argue they are still not great), the story is ok(not great by any means) as in I can actually follow it this time around, it's very cliché but it does the job and at the very least they build up Sebastian very in this game and I really like him now as opposed to the first game where he was nothing.

These things aside the game really is a chore to play for all the reasons I already listed and I honestly think the core combat was better in the first game, there at least there used to be alot to traps you could use against enemies and you could use matches to burn groups of enemies and I think the shooting in general felt better there. Meanwhile combat here just feels like a bad version of TLoU or a incredible poor version of RE4, in fact after finnishing this game I went and started up RE4 again and I played just the beginning and was shocked how much better that game feels in comparison to EW2, I mean Re4 feels so fast and the shooting is on point, the enemies dont feel unfair at all everytime you get hit is because you fucked up. It just so much more satisfying straight outta the gate that it's not even funny, the only thing one could argue that EW2 does "better" is that RE4's movement is more rigid but even then your movement in 4 is so much faster and the controls are so precise that it feels way better to control then EW2 more "free" movement.

I sincerely hope this is the end for the EW franchise it ends conclusively enough that I think it's likely this is the last entry and I hope Tango Gameworks move on to other projects, projects I might actually like for a change.

In happier news apparently Im some sort of Just Dance Savant because I crushed everyone this weekend at a friends party despite having never played the game before and that was way more fun then anything in the 18+ hours of EW2 XD. Also a friend also lent me his copy of Uncharted 4 so I want to finally see what's up with that, I dont like the uncharted gameplay in general and in fact I disliked it so much in 3 that I never even properly finnished the game because I was so fed up with it, but from the footage I've seen of 4 the gameplay seems improved so fingers crossed.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Todinho wrote: February 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm Re4 feels so fast and the shooting is on point, the enemies dont feel unfair at all everytime you get hit is because you fucked up.
Hey, isn't that the point that I was trying to make over in the RE thread?! :P
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

2/1 Battlefront 2 single player
2/1 Battlefront 2 Resurrection
5/1 inside iOS
26/1 Dishonored 2 Low chaos Emily play though
9/2 The Room : old sins

24/2Wolfenstin 2

It think it’s on par with the previous game. Though having played it before and after the patch that addressed the high difficulty I can see why people who played it at launch would say the gunplay was lacking/unsatisfiying. Thought the contraptions where a bit pointless and could have been better intigrated into gameplay.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Evil Within 2 was next up on my 'to play' list. I have it installed and everything :(

I might skip it.