Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War

It's been really interesting to play this game and have my thoughts on it change as I played. Started off not liking it too much, but by the end I was really enjoying it. I've still got a couple of problems with it, but overall it's a great experience that was very satisfying, and actually told a decent story too.

The combat in this game is something of a strange beast. I feel like it works in spite of itself, like it was trying hard to overcome inherent problems with the core design structure, instead of it being a natural fit from the ground up. Despite that, it still manages to be an enjoyable system. Attacks feel really impactful and satisfying, and once things finally flesh out later in the game, it feels like there's enough variety of abilities to have a decent number of ways to affect combat in a meaningful way. But I have to say, it took far too long to reach that point. I only really started properly enjoying the combat around the halfway point when you get that other weapon that gives you far better crowd control ability. Once I was at that point, I rarely used the Leviathan Axe. There were a few situations where it was useful, but in general, the later one is better in almost every way. Even though a lot of my problems with the combat were solved by that, I still never really totally got over the feeling of it being somewhat sluggish and unwieldy. That started as a major problem, but then became a marginal one by the end. Overall it's good, but it never feels like it fully manages to free itself from the problems inherent to the kind of camera and control system they went for. Enemy design in general was really great though. Everything was fantastically animated with good tells, and there were lots of enemies with interesting behaviour. The Valkyries in particular were excellent. I found the final one was beyond my abilities, but I thoroughly enjoyed fighting all the others up until then. Those fights really are where the combat shines best. That is, aside from one attack a couple of them have which is similar to my most disliked enemies; the Dark Elves. Given the sluggish feel to Kratos, enemies that jump up in the air and fly away out of view are not a fun time, especially if they come in groups like the Elves do. But a one-on-one fight against an enemy that has a bunch of interesting and well-telegraphed attacks makes for a very satisfying encounter.

I think the world structure really needs praise in this game too. These days it seems like most big budget games go for one of two extremes. Either they're incredibly linear, which can make for a tight and well paced experience, but feel constrictive as a result, or they go for the massive open world sandbox, which can provide a sense of scale and freedom, but at the cost of pacing and individual level/encounter design. But God of War has a semi-open world system where narrow, tightly designed paths spread out from a single hub area in the form of a lake, that has its own small points of interest dotted around it too. It makes for an experience that has the same kind of feeling of freedom and player-led discovery as a sandbox game, but with individual areas feeling like they're very tightly constructed and feel just like you're playing a linear game that knows exactly how to give you a great ride. And because of this, the world gets away with being rather small, meaning it can be intricately detailed and unique in every corner. Every inch feels like its had the same attention as every other. I really wish more big games would do something like this. It proves there's no need to slavishly adhere to "bigger is better", or to railroad the player so much that they feel like they have no agency.

The RPG systems though, I'm not sure I was quite as much a fan of. Despite being somewhat connected to the world design, they didn't really feel quite right in a game like this. It meant that a decent amount of my attempts at exploring off on my own were a frustrating experience, as I was wandering in to areas that I wasn't a high enough level to deal with yet. I'm not sure that really has a place in an action game that's trying to focus on player skill with mechanics. That also impeded my progress with the Valkyries too in a way that was less than enjoyable.

But as for the story, I was pretty impressed overall. They dealt with Kratos in a brilliant way. With how at first he comes across as being aware of his past, but not wanting to fully come to terms with it, through gradually dealing with it as his relationship with Atreus evolves. Atreus too was very well handled. Seeing him learn more about the world and who he is, and how he deals with it was great. They weaved each character's arc and growth in to the other's really well. A lot of the side characters were really good too. Full of lots of personality and charm. Both the dwarves and Mimir were very enjoyable. Mimir interacting with Kratos and Atreus as he tells his stories was good too, with how they often related to the relationship of those two characters. Lots of interesting little tid-bits about Norse mythology as well. I'm pretty excited to see where they go from here, judging by all the teases late in the game.

Another thing that I think it worth mentioning is how well this game deals with scale. The big stuff in this game feels big in a really impressive way. That may seem kind of unimportant, but it really made a lot of the events in the game stand out, like something truly monumental was going on in front of your eyes. Really sells the believability of the world too. The God of War games have always been good at this, but this time they stepped it up a notch to something I haven't seen any other game rival.

And a minor point on performance. Despite appreciating how good the game looks, I did find the frame rate kind of distracting. I was playing on a Pro in the high frame rate mode, but it still didn't exactly feel great in a lot of situations. While it wasn't game-breaking, with the slower pace of the game probably helping a lot, often it did feel pretty choppy and lacking fluidity that could be distracting at times. It felt like the console was being pushed just a bit beyond its limits. So I guess we'll have to wait for a PS5 remaster to get 60fps, like with the older games.

Overall though I did thoroughly enjoy the game. I don't think it's the most amazing thing ever like a lot of people seem to, and when it comes to combat, it feels like it's fighting against itself somewhat, albeit mostly coming out as a positive experience. But aside from that, a great story, excellent world design, and brilliant presentation too. It took me a while to get sold on this game, but I'm very glad I stuck with it in the end. I look forward to what comes next, although I really hope they make some changes to iron some issues out.

Small side note; playing this game actually made me miss the old games somewhat. So I recently picked up Ascension, since that's the only one I haven't played so far. I'll probably be diving in to that soon. I got the digital version, and wow, that was a new low for how awful the PS3 PSN store is. 35GB for a PS3 game!! How? Why?? Took 6 hours to download, and an hour and a half to install. I am so glad the 360 was my main system last generation.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Suits wrote: May 27th, 2018, 8:26 am I was tempted to get Bloodstained but I’ve heard reports of it being rather short.

Not short in a good way either.
It is short. I beat the first difficulty Friday, the 2nd Saturday. I'm not so great at games anymore, so about three hours each playthrough. But, from what I understand, it was a stretch goal for the Ritual of the Night kickstarter, so it was always going to be more of an appetizer. I don't feel cheated for my $10, but waiting for a sale probably wouldn't hurt, either.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Tekken 7
Feb - Bloodborne
Feb - Fallout Shelter
Feb - Bioshock Remastered
March - Monster Hunter World
March - Bastion
March - Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Story)
April - Bioshock 2 Remastered - Still my favourite Bioshock.
April - Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Resurrection DLC. More story than the Last Jedi. This game sets the film up so well, shame the film was so terrible.
May - Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
May - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch) - This game is one of the first I remember finishing with my dad on the Sega Master System. The remaster is a wonderful trip of nostalgia that I thoroughly enjoyed my time with and which I would highly recommend. The ability to switch between the old and new graphics and audio is a very clever addition, the work put into redoing the soundtrack especially stands out.. You can tell the makers of this game have a lot of love for the original, which is especially evident in the credits where you see each developer as a child.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/02 - Final Fantasy II (PS Vita)
04/30 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
10/03 - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
13/03 - Bioshock: Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 2
17/03 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS Vita)
13/04 - Final Fantasy III (PS Vita)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
02/05 - StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
13/05 - Into the Breach (PC)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
28/05 - Hollow Knight (PC)

Can't recommend this enough. Absolutely among the best "Metroidvanias" I've played. Takes a lot influence from Dark Souls, but takes the right lessons, rather than just "difficulty."
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Wizard of Legend(PC)- This is a hard game allright out of all roguelites I played this one took me the longest until I scored a victory at the end, but like I said it felt fair everytime everytime I died was because I fucked up and there`s never a run where you feel like you`re doomed from the start because of how much control you have over how you start, this is what makes the game so replayed I think despite repeting alot of areas and bosses by roguelite standarts, you`re always trying to improve your run by crafting a combination of itens and spells trying to create a reliable combo and due to the variety of spells you can really play however you want either by standing back and blasting enemies with fireballs or getting up close and personal and even setting traps and using options. One thing you do have to have though is good reaction times and know when to dodge because combat is very fast paced especially the final boss that just dashes all over the screen dunking spells on you.
I`d definetly recommend this one if you like roguelikes but but dont feel like spending 200h on one and if you like fast paced combat abit similar to hyperlight drifter.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)

Back on board the masocore train but this one is rather unique. It is weird to call this one a platformer considering you have infinite jumps. It is more like an obstacle course. Touching lightly colored walls damages you and you can take 3 hits before dying while the collectibles in each level double as an extra hit. Touching a normal colored wall is an instakill and white/black walls are safe. Despite the genre, isn't all that difficult to beat the game. Doing everything the game has to offer is where the real challenge comes in. Perfecting a level requires not getting hit, getting all the collectibles, and beating the time limit for the stage which is usually fairly strict. There are also dark levels that are harder versions of the regular ones. Good for a short time to beat the game and it will take several hours more if you wish to do everything.

May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)

The Zelda: Wind Waker influence here is pretty clear. Sailing around to various islands doing the Zelda thing. Collecting medallions to eventually stop Oceanhorn's rampage. It doesn't do anything spectacular but it does everything well. Even the sailing that bugged me a lot in Wind Waker was fine here since it was short and you had to shoot enemies along the way so it wasn't boring. The only thing that annoyed me was this weird deceleration when moving on ramps. The other Zelda styled game, Blossom Tales, seemed to have received a greater critical reception but I much preferred this one over it. This is even getting a sequel that I'm now looking forward to.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

MajorGamer wrote: May 29th, 2018, 5:53 am

The Zelda: Wind Waker influence here is pretty clear. Sailing around to various islands doing the Zelda thing. Collecting medallions to eventually stop Oceanhorn's rampage. It doesn't do anything spectacular but it does everything well. Even the sailing that bugged me a lot in Wind Waker was fine here since it was short and you had to shoot enemies along the way so it wasn't boring. The only thing that annoyed me was this weird deceleration when moving on ramps. The other Zelda styled game, Blossom Tales, seemed to have received a greater critical reception but I much preferred this one over it. This is even getting a sequel that I'm now looking forward to.
I'm a big fan of this game. One of the things I liked most about it was the very calming atmosphere. It has a very relaxed, almost dreamy pace to it. Soundtrack probably does a lot to contribute to that. Really looking forward to the sequel too.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

February 4th - DOOM (Switch)
February 7th - Oxenfree (Switch)
February 17th - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
February 25th - The Fall Part 2: Unbound (Switch)
February 28th - Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch)
March 4th - Subsurface Circular (Switch)
March 28th - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
April 4th - Floor kids (Switch)
April 9th - Rime (Switch)
May 6th - Celeste (Switch)
May 7th - Nintendo Labo (RC Car / Motorbike)

May 30th - Axiom Verge (Switch)

Fascinating game. A Metroidvania that aesthetically reminds me of the Alien 3 games which brings some fresh ideas to the weapon and power up options. And it's all developed, music included, by one guy.

A remarkable achievement, given for the first half of the game I'd genuinely say I was preferring it to Super Metroid. The levels were vast but I always knew where to go. Save points were fair. Bosses were varied.

Then I got the grapple hook power up and I really struggled for a few hours, both in terms of using it, the difficulty spike and also knowing where to go. I had to resort to a Walkthrough video to eventually figure out where to go on a few occasions (I often struggle remembering level layouts in 2D games truth be told) and found some bosses were insanely tough to even get to, let alone beat.

But the final few hours got amazing again once I'd powered up, culminating in a terrific final encounter.

It lacks a bit of its own identity at times due to the NES-esque murky art style, but it's well worth a play through, and at times bordering on greatness.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension

After playing the reboot I got the urge to play some more of the old games, and since this was the only one I haven't played before, I thought it would be a good idea to fill that last hole in my experiences with the series.

Frankly, it did not stand up well. While it's still fairly impressive visually, it has so many large flaws that I can't say it was a particularly good time. The combat feels very sloppy and unresponsive, full of lots of poor design decisions. Both the block and dodge feel completely unreliable, and take way too long to come out after pressing the button, with the dodge having a long period to recover from after you finish rolling too. A lot of the attacks take a while to come out as well, and sometimes the game just seems to eat your inputs all together. But worst of all, it has this atrocious system that I can't believe anyone could have thought was a good idea. It drastically limits your range of attacks unless you have a full combo meter. It feels so unnecessarily restrictive. Does nothing positive for the gameplay, and only takes away. Enemy animations are pretty awful too, meaning attacks are really hard to read. The camera so often being too far pulled out to see what's going on makes things even harder to keep track of. So all that combines with the poor controls makes it feel like you're being mobbed from all sides uncontrollably, and being harshly punished for something that you have no control over.

It's kind of a shame, since I do have a soft spot for the older GoW games. While they didn't have this system of limiting your attacks, I do remember the problem of the unresponsive controls. But I never thought they were anywhere as bad as here. It wasn't too long ago that I last played them, but I guess nostalgia goggles can still be a factor.

The story is pretty bland too. While obviously it was never going to stand up to the new game, I think it's still rather below par in comparison to the old ones as well It feels pretty aimless here. Like you're just going through the motions, doing things just because this is a God of War game and it's the kind of stuff you do. The antagonists weren't really interesting, and Kratos as a character was pretty empty and came across as mostly apathetic. Sure, old Kratos was one-note and shallow, but here he barely even shares that single character trait of "ludicrously angry all the time".
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Mega man 3
Jan - Mega man 4
Jan - Mega man 5
Jan - Mega man 6
Jan - Mega man 7
Jan - Mega man 8
Jan - Mega man 9
Jan - Mega man 10
Jan - Horizon: Zero Dawn
Jan - Metal Slug XX
Jan - Dead Rising: Case Zero
Jan - Talespin
Jan - Darkwing Duck
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Jan - DuckTales
Jan - DuckTales 2
Feb - Wild Guns Reloaded
Feb - Bound
Feb - Quantum Break
Feb - Monster Hunter: World
Feb - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
Feb - Steins;Gate 0 (platinum)
Mar - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (story and arcade)
Apr - Tekken 7
Apr - Ratchet & Clank (2016)
May - Resident Evil – Code: Veronica X
May - Hyper Dyne Side Arms
May - Street Fighter
May - Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]
23/03: Destiny 2 [PS4]
31/03: Devious Dungeon [Switch]
31/03: Warp Shift [Switch]
01/04: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap [Switch]
02/04: Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder Devastated [Switch]
09/04: Attack on Titan 2 [Switch]
11/04: The Bunker [Switch]
14/04: Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe [Switch]
16/04: Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut [Switch]
18/04: L.A. Noire [Switch]
23/04: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition [Switch]
01/05: Saturday Morning RPG [Switch]
05/05: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze [Switch]
06/05: God of War (2018) [PS4]
13/05: Secret of Mana (2018) [PS4]
15/05: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle [Switch]
19/05: Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition [Switch]
22/05: Shadow of the Colossus (2018) [PS4]
25/05: Runner3 [Switch]
30/05: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Gold Edition [PS4]

It's interesting to look at how Resident Evil 7 exists in the context of the entire series. Where the first game drew from contemporaneous b-movies with an instinctual reliance on jump scares for most of its horror, Resident Evil 7 draws instead from found footage films. The first-person perspective lends itself naturally to emulating this filmmaking style, and the Baker clan loves to get right up in the camera to taunt the player, supplanting jump scares with literal in-your-face grossout horror. Intentionally or unintentionally, creeping through the house to avoid Jack and Marge Baker feels like an evolution of the game design present in first-person narrative adventure games like Soma and Outlast, where the game doesn't end if the monster finds you but a shootout happens instead (though if you are seen it's usually prudent just to fall back to your last autosave).

After years of action-packed derivations grasping fruitlessly at the brilliance of Resident Evil 4, it's refreshing to see a Resident Evil videogame truly return to the creeping pace and exploration of the original series vision. But the Baker estate is quite small and not particularly intricate; it so effectively captures the verisimilitude of an actual Louisiana plantation home that it doesn't hold a candle to the labyrinthine Spencer mansion or Raccoon Police Department. This might be okay, though, as avoiding the monstrous Jack and Marguerite Baker as they hunt for the player character would probably be a lot more aggravating if the estate had the sprawl and intricacy of earlier series' environments.

As a survival horror videogame, supplies are conceptually rare but playing on Normal difficulty I quickly found myself with more items than I knew what to do with. Aside from standard-use items, I also scavenged Chemicals which can be used to craft additional handgun ammunition or healing items. These chemicals come in two different tiers; I managed to beat the entire game without once dipping into my considerable stockpile of high-grade chemical or using gunpowder to replenish my handgun ammunition. Echoing classic Resident Evil titles, diligent exploration of the Baker estate also yielded me a high-powered Magnum and a Grenade Launcher; I literally accidentally beat the whole game without using either one once. I brought them with me to the final boss, but it died before I had an opportunity to use them! I could condemn Resident Evil 7 for not being a particularly challenging survival horror game that bears me down with too many resources... but the same has been true of every title since the first game, so I won't bother.

The first two-thirds of Resident Evil 7 follow these ideas and are good. Not great, but good. But once Jack and Marge are dealt with, I am thrust off to a new environment which becomes like another videogame entirely: A new player character, forced to start from scratch in a new environment, and with an enemy density and fractiousness that defies the meditative pace of the Baker estate. In Act 3, Resident Evil 7 suddenly notices it's played in first-person and decides it needs to become a first-person shooter, and an especially mediocre one at that. This section of the plot eventually wends its way back to the Baker estate, but not before wringing any good-feeling I had possessed for Resident Evil 7 into a disappointing puddle on the floor.

The Baker family have the potential to be horror classics, grotesque but pitiable, and the early parts of Resident Evil 7 show a lot of promise, but overall this one feels undercooked, completely unhelped by the miserable game design derailment in the third act.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
01/06 - Axiom Verge (Switch)

Another great Metroidvania
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
19 Mar: Splatoon (WU)
29 Mar: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
06 Apr: Actual Sunlight (Vita)
08 Apr: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
27 Apr: God of War (PS4)
07 May: Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica X HD (PS3)
20 May: Pikmin (Wii on WU)
28 May: Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

You're not getting much use out of the PS4 this year :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha, that's interesting! I hadn't noticed.

It's probably still my most used console overall, I'm just playing more day-to-day/routine/non-completable stuff on it.

I did complete Street Fighter I on there the other day, I just don't count it as I abused save states.
My next completion will also not be on PS4 though.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)

A 12 hour time loop murder mystery? What could go wrong? You wander around a sizable mansion while snooping on the guests and attendants to figure out how each one dies as well as come up with a plan to prevent their death. All taking place during a masquerade party. The masks have this weird power that freeze time and attack you if you enter the same room as a person (hiding in a closet is fine) so you need to save all of them through indirect means. Each person saved gives you a new ability that lets you get to further guests and save them. All while you can hear events happening to the other guests. That gun shot you hear from the tutorial guests is heard every single time. It is set up like Majora's Mask and has a cool concept.

Unfortunately, the interactions between everyone is rather limited. Anytime you save a guest, the day is automatically reset so there is no way to save everyone in the end. The day will always be the same which is a shame as I would have liked to see how saving one person would affect later events but I can understand that would greatly complicate creating this game.

Lastly, the entire crux of a murder mystery is the mystery itself. I won't be mentioning spoilers here but this was a big disappointment. There is almost no foreshadowing to what is going on in this mansion. I'd say the only real clue is about 90% through when the full reveal is about 20 minutes later anyway. However, I still guessed everything except for the "why?" part much earlier and I don't think it is even possible to see that bit coming. It really made the game end on a down note for me.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
01/06 - Axiom Verge (Switch)
03/06 - Zone of the Enders (PS3)

Thoughts on the pod!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Well, after 27 years, I finally saw the end credits of the first Sonic the Hedgehog! I don't know if this is agreed upon or not, but as an adult, that level design in that first game is nuts. Everything about it is the opposite of "going fast" and there's so much lava and water levels! Gotta take my time playing it safe, more like it...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Bloodstained Curse of the Moon(PC)- A pretty good game that apparently was a strech goal for Ritual of the night and if this game is any indication then they are on track to making a great Castlevania game.

While Ritual of the Night will emulate Symphony of the Night, Curse of Moon is a doppelganger of Dracula's curse the similarities are so big that if Konami were to sue them for it wouldnt be completelly unresonable XD. As someone who never got on with the Castlevanias of NES I was kinda of curious to see what I would think of the game and while I still have the same issues as with those games namely how stiff movement and jumping is and the amount of knockback enemies give you when you get hit, I ended up really liking the game and I think is because the difficulty has been toned down I finnished the game with lives to spare for example, add to that the fact that you have 4 characters each with their own health bar and you can take alot of punishment before you die.

But yeah I had alot of fun playing it, each of the 4 characters plays differently and has their unique properties that are really usefull in particular sections of the game which allows you to take alternate routes within levels, the bosses were also highlight they were both interesting to fight and the spritework on then in particular was amazing. Also the game is pretty short around 3 hours or so, so its great for an afternoon and to scratch to my Shovel Knight ich because the last DLC for that is still nowhere in sight.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

4th January - X-Com 2 (PC)
6th January - Last Day of June (PC)
22nd January - What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
4th February - Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
10th February - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
16th February - Rime (PS4)
3rd March - Watch_Dogs 2 (PC)
8th March - Layers of Fear (PC)
10th March - Superhot (PS4)
12th March - Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) (All golds on driving school and mission challenges)
18th March - Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
15th April - Nier Automata (PS4) (all main endings)
7th May - Mad Max (PS4)
3rd June - Far Cry 4 (PS4)