Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
mikeleddy83

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Mega man 3
Jan - Mega man 4
Jan - Mega man 5
Jan - Mega man 6
Jan - Mega man 7
Jan - Mega man 8
Jan - Mega man 9
Jan - Mega man 10
Jan - Horizon: Zero Dawn
Jan - Metal Slug XX
Jan - Dead Rising: Case Zero
Jan - Talespin
Jan - Darkwing Duck
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Jan - DuckTales
Jan - DuckTales 2
Feb - Wild Guns Reloaded
Feb - Bound
Feb - Quantum Break
Feb - Monster Hunter: World
Feb - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
Feb - Steins;Gate 0 (platinum)
Mar - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (story and arcade)
Apr - Tekken 7
Apr - Ratchet & Clank (2016)
May - Resident Evil – Code: Veronica X
May - Hyper Dyne Side Arms
May - Street Fighter
May - Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
June - Street Fighter II′: Champion Edition
June - Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
June - Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
June - Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Giant Attack
June - Street Fighter Alpha 2
June - Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
June - State of Decay 2
June - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
July - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
July - Splatoon 2
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Scrustle wrote: August 1st, 2018, 11:40 am The game itself is pretty low budget, and has low production values too. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't great, the animation and general presentation is kind of bad, and the PC version has no graphical options outside of screen resolutions, and is locked to 30fps. The area you have to explore around is very small too. Just a small town separated in to a handful of zones. So I don't want to oversell it. It's definitely one of those lower tier games that is never going to blow anyone away. I guess it's along the lines of something like Earth Defence Force. But it's trying something very unusual, maybe a bit too ambitious for what it can pull off. But the fact that it's trying so hard is really pulling me in.
Yes, I watched a video of the opening twenty minutes or so after that, and your description seems spot on :lol:

Very intriguing writeup all the same; I might give it a go someday!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Since I decided to cut my finger in lieu of the avocado like some dexterously challenged Uncharted player and I now struggle to hold a controller properly (not unlike the pensioner in El Choppo's fable, really), I laid off R1 Spam 3 for the time being and focused on Fire Emblem instead. I feel like I've been somewhat unfair towards The Sacred Stones in the past. It has its fair share of issues - monster enemies and grinding opportunities do not belong in Fire Emblem for my money, and the end game is a bit of a mess - but it also has a fantastic mid-game, one of the best FE OST and antagonist, and probably the best sprite work in the series. Great game overall.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker

:shock: Didn't find the murderer, didn't even get close. I fell for a red herring right at the end but the game's left me with more questions than answers. Looking forward to you all playing it when it turns up on PS+ in a year or two :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 3:39 pm Since I decided to cut my finger in lieu of the avocado like some dexterously challenged Uncharted player .......
Sooooooo many times I've come dangerously close to such a wound, trying to get that seed out like a boss :lol: .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I mean, I know it is a seed but that word doesn’t do that massive, hard and shiny orb justice. Guess that’s we call it a stone.
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

On the plus side, once I was done appeasing the impromptu geyser through the use of a heavy-duty homemade contraption while verbally admonishing myself, the ensuing guacamole turned out to be quite delicious.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 8:33 am On the plus side, once I was done appeasing the impromptu geyser through the use of a heavy-duty homemade contraption while verbally admonishing myself, the ensuing guacamole turned out to be quite delicious.
I think, the word you're looking for here is Geezer, not a relative of Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park ;) :lol: .

Avocado is excellent. Chicken, bacon, avocado slices in a sub roll is boom 8-) .

My one year old is a big fan of Avocado too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I did actually mean the hot natural spring! I was using analogies and flowery prose to describe my laceration! :lol:

Guacamole is boss. The secret is in the cumin and a soupçon of chili flakes. Haven't received too many complaints about that one.
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol: I shall now promptly bow out with my English lesson then :lol: .

Yeah, guacamole is good, really refreshing.

My wife put's chilli flakes in it too (as well as everything else :roll: ) , cumin is a good shout man - I'll give it a try 8-) .
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

In the midst of the infamous Torrid Heat of 2018, a shadowy figure emerges through the door frame of an ordinary british kitchen. His temples dampened with sweat, his steps heavy with torpor.

"Dearly Beloved, throw a spoon of ground cumin into that guac, will you please?"
"...Something wrong with my cooking?"
"No, some random foreigner who doesn't know how to operate cutlery on my video game forum said it'd be a good idea."
"...How about some chili flakes instead, wise guy? This ought to cool you off and your crazy ideas."
Suits

Post by Suits »

Oh, you're familiar with the lingo in my house then ??

:lol:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

The Wolf Among Us completed. Played it with my wife, she got to make all the choices and I just sat with the controller. She made a lot of choices I wouldn't have, but I think I want to pick some darker choices than normal for a Telltale game? I would typically try to be better than those around me, but I wanted to teach a lot of people lessons in Wolf Among Us. Wonder if the noir vibe brings the worst out in me?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I had exactly the same thing with that game. I'll always try to play the good guy, but the fact you're literally playing as a wolf brought something out - smashing up the nightclub was a lot of fun.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ThirdMan wrote: August 4th, 2018, 1:06 pm 04 Aug: Absolutely: A True Crime Story (itch.io)

Ahhh... okay.

This is from Davey Wreden, the creator of my beloved The Stanley Parable. It's a 5 minute 'JRPG' where you play as Keanu Reaves, proving he's innocent of a murder he didn't commit by recalling some murders he did commit. It's ridiculous though, crucially, not one bit funny. So what's the point of it? A piss-take, but of what?
Just played it... and yeah, its a bit meh, and not particularly clever either.

But I guess it succeeded as clickbait... perhaps thats the point. :roll:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD
04/08
Cave story 3ds

Ive never played cave story before so I was delighted to be able to experience this fantastic achievement. It feels far removed from the work of one man and more akin to the finely tuned Nintendo games of yesteryear. I listened to the podcast shortly after finishing it and must say that it was one of the finest episodes. I’m keen to dive back in to try and seek out the third ending although I doubt my skills will get me across the finish line.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: August 4th, 2018, 7:19 am I had exactly the same thing with that game. I'll always try to play the good guy, but the fact you're literally playing as a wolf brought something out - smashing up the nightclub was a lot of fun.
Plus, interrogations start to get annoying and I wanted to "PUNCH HIM" a lot more than normal.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
May 3 - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Turnabout Reclaimed DLC (3DS)
May 5 - Final Fantasy IV (PSVita - PSP version)
Jun 4 - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (3DS - DS cart)
Jun 9 - Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Jun 23 - Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)
Jul 13 - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (3DS)
Jul 14 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) All 10 cups on 100cc
Jul 21 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4) Arcade mode - Normal
Jul 29 - Final Fantasy V (GBA version on an emulator)
Jul 30 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

I liked the graphics, the sound and the ideas in the game, whether they were Senua's condition or the Norse mythology in it. However I did not enjoy the actual act of playing the game in either the puzzles or combat.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker
Okay so first of all, I don't understand what this game is to begin with. I don't know if it expects me to cure the patients (based on what? I'm not a real-life psychiatrist), solve the murder (I can't use the evidence to point out contradictions like in Ace Attorney and 95% of the dialogue seems to be unrelated chatter), or simply sit back and enjoy (?) the story. Speaking of the story, I'm still not sure if it's meant to be either a classic whodunit like something from Agatha Christie, a high-concept tale dealing with the nature of dreams and sanity like Silent Hill, or an ingenious meta-narrative with carefully foreshadowed plot twists like Zero Escape, which I initially suspected and was hoping for at the beginning but didn't seem to go anywhere towards the end. The inscrutable sanity "mechanic" hints at the middle one, but that didn't go anywhere either as far as I could tell. I find sanity mechanics to be an fascinating concept when committed to like in Eternal Darkness, but this one never made me question the protagonist's mental state. All I saw were a bunch of loopy folks talking nonsense.

The dialogue sections often overstay their welcome with all the pointless babble they throw at you. I officially checked out of trying to understand the overarching story at around Chapter 4 or 5 due to the deluge of obfuscating information.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I gave up on the "ask a question" feature early on after being repeatedly confronted with the limitations of the program. According to this Steam discussion, the identity of the murderer depends on what dialogue choices (?) you've made throughout the course of the game, which is something I straight up dislike. Good writing needs proper character arcs, and a character that can simply be turned into a completely different person at the last minute without retroactively changing anything about their previous portrayal isn't a good character in my opinion. It renders the whole plot completely unsubstantial, same issue I have with choose-your-own-adventure books.

The acting is mediocre at best, but I don't think the actors are sorely to blame for that. There is something very unnatural about emulating one half of a conversation without any sense of rhythm or anyone to bounce off of while staring blankly at a camera, and most of the scenes feel rather phony as a result. Although some are better than others, like the older dude who only appears in one chapter. 3, I think?

The weird aggressive close-ups that the game uses whenever it wants to let you know how craaazy your interlocutor is gave me nervous whiplash.

It's not all bad, though. Some plot elements / dialogue strands were more interesting than others, and at the very least it gave me some insight into a facet of gaming I know nothing about. Considering I bought it at discount price, I can't complain too much.

I'm sorry if this isn't particularly substantial feedback, buddy. But I'm really scratching my head as to what else I could write about this game that left me with a truckload more questions than answers. But by all means, ask away and I shall do my best to respond to the best of my abilities.

PS: I almost forgot! Jaya was the murderer in my game. I accused her (out of 70% blind luck and 30% "Well it could be her, I guess?") which led to her talking vaguely threatening shit to me for 30 seconds and the game congratulating me. Cue credits. What.

All the other characters received happy endings in the epilogue. And the same epilogue also implies that one other doctor was in cahoots with... someone (?) and was declaring people insane for some legal scam or other. I have no idea what's going on.

PPS: It's entirely possible, though I firmly doubt it at this point, that the identity of the murderer had actually been subtly foreshadowed and hinted at during my playthrough. If that is indeed the case, then I'll gladly hold my hands up and admit that I didn't catch any of that subtext and that this game is significantly smarter than me. I'd love for an in-depth analysis to come out at some point and show me all this potential brilliance that I'm just not seeing at the moment.
TL;DR: Not good, not bad, but I don't get it.