Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndrewBrown

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by AndrewBrown »

Beck wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 12:38 pmI'm loving that list of Switch games completed :)
I really need to diversify... I do a Switch podcast so I am somewhat obligated to play many of the new releases every week, though I have let it get a bit out of control of late. I'm playing through Destiny 2 on PS4 right now, I expect to finish it Friday, and will start Titanfall 2 some time after that. Planning to pick up God of War on release date as well.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

AndrewBrown wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 8:15 pm
Beck wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 12:38 pmI'm loving that list of Switch games completed :)
I really need to diversify... I do a Switch podcast so I am somewhat obligated to play many of the new releases every week, though I have let it get a bit out of control of late. I'm playing through Destiny 2 on PS4 right now, I expect to finish it Friday, and will start Titanfall 2 some time after that. Planning to pick up God of War on release date as well.
What is your podcast called?
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

ADumican83 wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 11:09 pmWhat is your podcast called?
Ohhhh, I'm sorry, I don't really think it's appropriate to plug it on this forum. I suppose technically I shouldn't have even mentioned it earlier.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s fine dude! Go for it.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Oh all right then.

switchfocuspodcast.com
James

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
3rd Jan - Hidden Folks (Android)
13th Jan - Bleed 2 (PC)
13th Jan - Bleed (Xbox One)
14th Jan - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
16th Jan - Scanner Sombre (PC)
17th Jan - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4)
21st Jan - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One)
24th Feb - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (RetroPie - PSX)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite (Remastered) (Xbox One)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 1 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
15th Mar - Actual Sunlight (Android)
18th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One)
21st Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
23rd Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1998 Mode]

Still on the BioShock kick! I replayed Burial At Sea Pt2 and decided to keep audio diaries and 1998 Mode separate. So, two playthroughs later and I feel like I've rinsed everything out of Infinite that I possibly can. I did fire up Clash In The Clouds, but see my comments about the BioShock (1) challenge rooms. Without a narrative thread, I found it sadly lacking.

1998 Mode was actually pretty trivial, knowing exactly where to go and where to find the upgrades I wanted. An interesting concept though, taking BioShock in almost a Dishonored direction.

Prolly start a BioShock 2 replay now, to be honest. :D

Oh, and the Historian achievement for finding all audio diaries in BioShock still hasn't popped nearly a week after finishing the game. Grrr!
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 9:13 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]
23/03: Destiny 2 [PS4]

I'm impressed by the improvements brought to Destiny 2. It's apparent that they took the criticisms of the first game to heart. The environments aren't differently-colored wastelands of rock. The stellar collection of voice talent isn't put completely to waste as monolithic quest givers devoid of purpose or personality (I will never, ever forget that Bungie landed Claudia Black and made her a token vendor). In my time in the first Destiny, I could catch fleeting glimpses of understanding of why people could spend hundreds and thousands of hours playing it, but they were immediately buried by how lifeless and superficial it all felt (all a result of a last-minute decision to scrub the story and basically rebuild it from scratch, recounted in Jason Schreier's excellent Blood, Sweat, and Pixels). It was a technically brilliant shooter but it didn't present me with a world and characters that I cared about and wanted to spend time in. With Destiny 2, I can kind of get it. It's a far more colorful galaxy to explore with much more interesting environments that make this place feel lived in, possessing a history and a purpose. I still won't be returning to Destiny 2, but not out of boredom this time, but because sinking a lot of time into earning tiny upgrades to my character stats so I can do it all over again in another tier of raid content is simply not where I'm at in videogames anymore.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
March 23rd: Dead Space

Surprisingly enjoyed this far more than first time around. Does not show its age at all.

Just started the sequel Immediately after. Isaac is doing a great job of annoying me with his new found voice, floaty controls and lack of dependence upon the tram at the end of every chapter.

I think EA broke the game with their pre-order incentive RIG suits. My collection ridiculously overpowers me if I decide to use any of them before the very end.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Excuse me, but can you say you've truly completed it without KSubZero coming in and comparing it unfavourably to Resident Evil 4? I think not. ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: March 24th, 2018, 12:01 pm Resident Evil 4
Never heard of that one. Is it any good? I'll see if I can squeeze its VR demo in my already tight schedule composed of writing dissertations about the communist codependency of Tetris' building blocks and supervising my crowdfunded campaign to help David Cage's dream Chrono Trigger reboot come to fruition. Ugh. Like, so many feels. Being mature is such hard work.

Prick. :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Haha, I suppose I haven’t completed it. I saw the end credits at the conclusion of the story which is enough for me usuallly these days

:)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm

supervising my crowdfunded campaign to help David Cage's dream Chrono Trigger reboot come to fruition.
As long as all the characters have slightly French sounding accents I’m on board
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm
Never heard of that one. Is it any good? I'll see if I can squeeze its VR demo in my already tight schedule composed of writing dissertations about the communist codependency of Tetris' building blocks and supervising my crowdfunded campaign to help David Cage's dream Chrono Trigger reboot come to fruition. Ugh. Like, so many feels. Being mature is such hard work.

Prick. :P
:lol:

Oh God, Detroit must be coming out soon, mustn't it? Of course you have to know I am a big fan of his games - how could it be different? - so that will be fun!

I actually avoid reading anything whatsoever about Quantic Dream or the man himself so as not to break the 'illusion'.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: March 24th, 2018, 3:01 pm Of course you have to know I am a big fan of his games - how could it be different? - so that will be fun!
Oh my god my sarcasm detector is busted. I have absolutely no idea if you're being genuine or just joking around again. :?

We are all our own biggest caricatures, after all. In unrelated news, I'm currently playing the original God of War, which is janky as f- *cough* I mean has aged like a fine wine.

Between acting like a virtual savage and getting all choked up about the Australian whales, I'd say it's a Saturday well spent. Emotional whiplash soothes the soul.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 24th, 2018, 3:18 pm Between acting like a virtual savage and getting all choked up about the Australian whales, I'd say it's a Saturday well spent.
Try spending your Saturday signing baseball-playing stickmen to new contracts and we can talk :)

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 24th, 2018, 3:18 pm Oh my god my sarcasm detector is busted. I have absolutely no idea if you're being genuine or just joking around again. :?
I have greatly enjoyed all three Quantic Dream games I have played; I know Alex is a fan too. Ok, Heavy Rain really self-destructed in the final third, and there are some icky parts in all of them, but they are good games and do some interesting things at times. I think Beyond Two Souls was my game of the year that year :)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.

Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Took me a good 15 hours to finish this. It likes to keep you doing different things, usually through the medium of golf, to keep things fresh, and in that regard I think it succeeds. Its not particularly good at the golf bit but a lot of the things the people in the game have you doing relates to the short game (high numbered irons and wedges), which is where I think the golf element is at its best. The dialogue is not particularly special, raising some smiles rather than laughs.I liked it but I don't have any real desire to go back to it or any potential sequel.
I'm an idiot and never twigged the shape of the landmass until it zoomed out at the end.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: March 25th, 2018, 10:08 am
I have greatly enjoyed all three Quantic Dream games I have played; I know Alex is a fan too. Ok, Heavy Rain really self-destructed in the final third, and there are some icky parts in all of them, but they are good games and do some interesting things at times. I think Beyond Two Souls was my game of the year that year :)
On first playthrough I loved all of them but beyond two souls was probably the weakest for me. I remember Fahrenheit being incredibly tense and heavy rain generated so much discussion with my friends as everyone seemed to have different outcomes. They lose a lot of impact second time around.

You say the three that you have played. Does that mean you haven’t played the Nomad soul?!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I thought there were some great moments in Beyond
...all of the childhood and teenage bits were great, and especially the bit in the apartment preparing for dinner where you, playing as Aiden, could spoil the evening for Jodie. I was screaming at her not to go through with her plans, but at the end of the day I had to recognise that was what she wanted and to stay out of it. A pretty great gaming moment for me, both in the intent and the mechanics involved
...and it had an underwater Arctic base! :D

I rebought Beyond and Heavy Rain on PS4 but haven't replayed Heavy Rain yet. If you haven't listened to that particular podcast yet you should prepare yourself :)

I only got to Fahrenheit last summer and enjoyed it a lot; is Nomad Soul worth checking out then?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: March 25th, 2018, 10:08 am I have greatly enjoyed all three Quantic Dream games I have played; I know Alex is a fan too. Ok, Heavy Rain really self-destructed in the final third, and there are some icky parts in all of them, but they are good games and do some interesting things at times. I think Beyond Two Souls was my game of the year that year :)
Nah it's an act, I'm not buying any of this! The part where a self-proclaimed TWD fan talks about being on media blackout so as to "not break the illusion" seems way too good of an open diss invitation to not have been intentional! :lol:

Just messing with you. I sincerely hope Detroit ends up being a total hit. For the record, I actually think the setting is quite interesting this time around.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Hopefully!

And maybe, just maybe, we get no woman-in-underwear scene this time round, though I'm not getting my hopes up.