Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension
12/06 - Unravel Two
15/06 - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
23/06 - Vampyr
05/07 - Cat Quest
14/07 - The Legend of Korra (Extreme)
20/07 - The Vagrant
28/07 - A Hat in Time
31/07 - Way of the Samurai 4
25/08 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Knight)
25/08 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10/09 - Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner : MVRS
18/09 - Yakuza Kiwami 2
19/09 - Figment
20/09 - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
20/09 - AER: Memories of Old
22/09 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
11/10 - Forza Horizon 4

It's kind of hard to tell when to call this game "finished" due to how it's organised, but I think I've reached a point which reasonably constitutes that. I've completed the all the finale races for each of the major racing disciplines, got to at least level 10 in each as well, beaten every showcase, and done every side story mission. I've also got three stars on every drift-related event, but that was more of a personal goal than something that I think matters towards "finishing" the game. The only other things that I think might be considered finishing the game would be getting 100% on everything (no thanks) or maybe reaching driver level 200, as there's an achievement for that. I'll be continuing the play the game either way, and if I come across a more definitive "end" then I'll change the date as necessary. But for now I say this counts well enough.

As for the game though, it's great of course. No surprises there. Looks fantastic, the cars handle really well in that way characteristic of the series. It brings over the subtleties of a simulation physics engine but with a more approachable slant that makes it feel much more carefree and fun and not quite as punishing and demanding. So it lets you interact with all the stuff that makes sim games engaging, but doesn't ask so much from the player as to stop you from just cutting loose and having fun.

The setting this time around is yet again very nice. While it's not as exotic as somewhere like Australia, there's still a lot of fantastic scenery and lighting, and very varied environments. It's nice to see some familiar stuff this time around too. Changing seasons is very impressive. It totally changes the whole feeling of the world, as well as how it feels to drive of course. I think this may be a first too. I can't think of any open world game out there that has four whole distinct versions of its entire world like this. That's pretty impressive just on its own.

The changes to how the "career" works and progression in general, I have mixed feelings on. But in the end I think I came down positive on it. As has been the pattern of this series, this one is the least structured yet. There isn't really a career mode at all, and instead a bunch of distinct goals that have their own little progression ladder connected to them. No overall goal to drive towards or anything like that. The result is that it sometimes feels like everything you do just results in bars and numbers going up, but it doesn't really mean much. But I got over that without too much trouble, as on the other hand it creates a really compelling incentive to keep doing little things, and just get that next little step on the ladder, in whatever you happen to be paying attention to at that moment. It makes the game very more-ish, and makes the time fly by when playing. So I think when it comes to this series' goal of simply having fun in cars and trying to get you to do fun stuff without there being much pressure to prove you're the best or anything like that, this game does an excellent job. But at the same time, it doesn't really do a great job in encouraging you to develop your skills and get better over time. You can start off driving some of the fastest cars in the game without much trouble, and end in the same place. Or you can just stick to slow, easy to drive cars the whole time and never be challenged. I miss that skill curve somewhat, but I can appreciate what it's been replaced by.

And just a few other little things I wanted to mention. The new drift spec suspension upgrade it brilliant. It makes it so you can get a car that feels really good for drifting right out of the gate, without having to spend too much time tweaking settings if you're not in to that. But it also makes cars feel better to drift than ever before, and can pull some insane angles. There were a couple of cars that were set up similarly in FH3, but they were special edition cars that were very few and hard to get. So here it's cool that anything can be that. I also prefer how cars handled on dirt this time around too. I usually don't like racing off-road in pretty much any racing game, and while this hasn't changed my mind on that, it definitely felt better than in previous entries. I suspect that might have more to do with them simply making it easier though. At least on dirt tracks, rather than cross-country, cars feel a bit less slippy and more controllable. Performance on the PC is really good this time around, thankfully. In fact I've been playing this almost exclusively on PC, since it's so much better than the blurry 30fps of the base XB1 version. On my GTX970 it can just about keep 60fps the vast majority of the time. In a couple of high stress areas it can drop up to 5 frames or so, but that is pretty rare. I had to cut down quite a few visual options to get there, but it's to a point where it still looks really good. Nothing I had to cut down was that noticeable. But it's way better than FH3, which really struggled in the more urban areas, where it would tank down to the low 40s no matter what. Oh, and I like the new way they do Forzathon too. Instead of it being just a weekly checklist of simple goals, here you have dailies and weeklies, as well as hourly events. The latter of which takes the form of co-op multiplayer in the open world. And instead of just giving you a straight reward of money or a rare car, this time you get currency to spend in a special shop where you can choose your prize from a rotating stock. Makes it a much more interesting and interactive way to do it. I like it a lot.

EDIT: Changed from 7/10 to 11/10 as it seems that was the point when I found the "real" ending.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Simonsloth wrote: October 6th, 2018, 4:47 pm System Shock

I think I need to learn to stop playing when I’m not enjoying something but I struggle with leaving things unfinished.

I think I’ll give it a while before I try the sequel.
System Shock 2 is rough enough also; I'd imagine it's miles more playable than 1 though (I haven't played 1 and didn't manage to finish 2).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah 2 is a loooong way ahead of 1. You’re comparing a doom era game with something from the same time period as Deus Ex.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So I suppose that I "completed" DMC3 according to some criteria, i.e. I saw the credits roll yesterday.

Wow, what a game. The story and characters are surprisingly good, but really, it's the combat that elevates this game to the Hall of Fame of the genre. Just pure, unadulterated fun. I do have two minor complaints, though. First, given how the game is very much designed around offense and aggression, some of the defensive options are a bit undercooked. The jump being this one-size-fits-all evasive maneuver can be a bit awkward, and it's not uncommon to be interrupted mid-combo by a poorly telegraphed enemy attack. Second, a lot of the advanced techniques are depending on the "lock-on + directional input" combination, but given how unreliable the lock-on function / camera can be at times, the issue of mistakenly pressing the wrong directional input due to Dante's sudden change in orientation is rather aggravating. 50+ hours in, and I still haven't found any reliable solution to this.

These minor quirks are very much preventing this game from challenging either NGB or Bayo 2 for my personal top spot, but this is nevertheless one of the greatest games ever made and an absolute blast to dive in. Anyway, I'm far from done with it. I still have Bloody Palace to go through, some S ranks to nab and higher difficulties to tackle. I really want to go for the Platinum on this one.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Feb – Destiny 2 (Xbox One X)
Feb – Snake Pass (Switch)
Mar – NBA Playgrounds (Switch)
Apr – Assassin’s Creed Origins (Xbox One X)
May - The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter (PS4 Pro)
May - Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4 Pro)
Jun – The Wolf Among Us (Xbox One X)
Aug – Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360 via Xbox One X)
Aug - Bayonetta (Switch)
Aug – Subsurface Circular (Switch)

Sep - A Way Out (Xbox One X)

Just remembered I'd not added this one to my list after I completed back in September.

Really interesting game with some nicely constructed characters, well paced narrative and a successfully realised cinematic tone. As a movie it wouldn't be winning any Academy Awards but for gaming I'd say it's certainly in the upper echelons of dramatic story-telling for the medium.

The exclusively co-op structure is largely very well executed, and the game offers a tight and compelling experience that can be completed in 2 or 3 decent sittings. They also did an excellent job of successfully balancing the two roles so that one player never felt like a supporting actor to the other's leading man, and the pacing meant there was always a strong momentum driving you through to story to it's conclusion.

In terms of the actual act of playing the game, there are some nice cooperative set pieces, but largely things fluctuate between decent and serviceable to pretty poor and clunky in places (the third person shooting is particularly crappy in this day and age!). The level of care taken elsewhere generally overrides the janky mechanics, but they certainly hold the game back from being truly excellent.

So overall a really interesting and thoughtfully constructed video game that's absolutely worth playing if you have good gaming buddy to whip through it with, especially considering you can pick it up for around £15 and you only need one copy of the game between you!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Managed to sneak in a quick Resident Evil 5 playthrough with my man Michiel over a few evening sessions.

Some of its design flaws did become more apparent to me this time around as opposed to my last playthrough 7+ years ago. It sits comfortably near the bottom of my personal mainline RE list, but it does have its moments, especially in co-op.

Perfectly robust and serviceable in every way, but not the monument it could (should?) have been.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
May 3 - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Turnabout Reclaimed DLC (3DS)
May 5 - Final Fantasy IV (PSVita - PSP version)
Jun 4 - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (3DS - DS cart)
Jun 9 - Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Jun 23 - Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)
Jul 13 - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (3DS)
Jul 14 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) All 10 cups on 100cc
Jul 21 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4) Arcade mode - Normal
Jul 29 - Final Fantasy V (GBA version on an emulator)
Jul 30 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)
Aug 19 - Professor Layton and the Curious Village (3DS - DS cart)
A couple of quick replays first
Sep 16 - Ridge Racer Type 4 (PSVita - PS1 classic)
A quick spin through one run of Real Racing Roots '99. Still a quite playable arcade racer. Looks good on that small screen too.

Oct 7 - 80 Days (Android)
New phone, new round the world trip. Arsed around Europe buying and selling, then went through Siberia and Canada and caused a successful mutiny in the Pacific. Kept up my routine of always correcting anyone who calls me (Passepartout) English, even from moving vehicles in Germany.

And a new playthrough
Oct 8 - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
Wow. I would not consider myself a fan of open world games but over the last 12 months BotW and HZD have been fantastic. This was a slow burn at the start but I liked it more and more as I kept playing it. Loved taking on the machines, whether by stealth, traps, lobbing bombs, removing important components, or just overriding/corrupting one and letting it loose on a herd was good fun. Human enemies were good for stealthy target practice. It does have a lot of icons on a map but I ignored a lot of then but even the ones I did get pointed to additional world building rather than just being a collectable. The plot didn't grab me at the start, I feel it takes a while to kick off, but from Maker's End onward it really hooked me in. I liked the people, the tribes, it's gorgeous even on my PS4 Slim, Aloy is great. So yeah, I wouldn't consider open world games my thing yet I'm fawning over another one this year.

A question for the upcoming podcast, will you also cover The Frozen Wilds and if so will it be spoiler heavy for that? I plan on taking a break and playing other games for a bit.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Frozen Wilds will be part of the discussion.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 9th, 2018, 9:21 am Frozen Wilds will be part of the discussion.
Frozen Wilds is not too long and is superb so would recommend jumping in.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

9-10 Resident Evil 5 (Xbox 360)

Co-opped with KSubzero. Now on to the DLC and Mercenaries
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just finished both Leon and Claire's campaigns in Resident Evil 2. It's actually aged pretty well, made me scream out loud once or twice. Actually, I'm surprised by how much I still like PS1-era graphics...
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/02 - Final Fantasy II (PS Vita)
04/30 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
10/03 - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
13/03 - Bioshock: Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 2
17/03 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS Vita)
13/04 - Final Fantasy III (PS Vita)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
02/05 - StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
13/05 - Into the Breach (PC)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
28/05 - Hollow Knight (PC)
01/06 - Axiom Verge (Switch)
03/06 - Zone of the Enders (PS3)
15/07 - Frostpunk (PC)
22/7 - Secret of Mana (Emulator)
13/08 - Final Fantasy V (Emulator)
09/09 - Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
06/10 - Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (PC)
11/10 - Mega Man X (Switch)

Yay! Finally kicked this classic of my pile of shame. Loved it to pieces. :)
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

4th January - X-Com 2 (PC)
6th January - Last Day of June (PC)
22nd January - What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
4th February - Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
10th February - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
16th February - Rime (PS4)
3rd March - Watch_Dogs 2 (PC)
8th March - Layers of Fear (PC)
10th March - Superhot (PS4)
12th March - Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) (All golds on driving school and mission challenges)
18th March - Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
15th April - Nier Automata (PS4) (all main endings)
7th May - Mad Max (PS4)
3rd June - Far Cry 4 (PS4)
18th July - Assassin's Creed Origins (PS4)
1st October - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
10th October - Axiom Verge (PS4)
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Jun 4 - Immortal Redneck (PC)
Jun 5 - Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PC)
Jun 11 - Prey (PC)
Jun 14 - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch)
Jun 16 - Scrap Garden (PC)
Jun 17 - LostWinds (PC)
Jun 20 - Straimium Immortaly (PC)
Jun 25 - Dreaming Sarah (PC)
Jun 26 - Poi: Explorer Edition (Switch)
Jun 29 - Dungeon Souls (PC)
Jul 2 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)
Jul 6 - Bleed 2 (Switch)
Jul 11 - Risen (PC)
Jul 18 - Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)
Jul 22 - Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (PC)
Aug 8 - Styx: Master of Shadows (PC)
Aug 9 - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
Aug 15 - Owlboy (Switch)
Aug 18 - DOOM [2016] (PC)
Aug 21 - Unbox: Newbie's Adventure (PC)
Sept 5 - Nioh (PC)
Sept 10 - Weapon Shop Fantasy (PC)
Sept 11 - Hard Reset Redux (PC)
Sept 15 - Ghost 1.0 (PC)
Sept 16 - The Turing Test (PC)
Sept 20 - Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (Switch)
Sept 28 - Battle Chasers: Nightwar (Switch)
Sept 28 - Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

A fun romp through the remake of the second Metroid game. It sticks to the design of the original while adding in staples of the franchise since. The big additions to the game are a counter system and some new powerups using a new resource.

The counter system works well. When an enemy charges you, you can give it a quick melee hit to stun and a quick shot will kill it. The instakill doesn't work on the metroids or bosses. The problem is that the game is a bit too reliant on countering since enemies have a lot of health and while it doesn't instakill the metroids, it does let you get in a ton of damage in. It is takes until near the end of the game for your weaponry to take out normal enemies at a good speed without countering.

The other new powers felt very gimmicky in their use, unfortunately. The only one I regularly used is the first one you get, a scan that reveals the map in a square around your position. The rest were used where the game makes it mandatory to and that was about it.

It is good but the AM2R comparisons are unavoidable. AM2R added considerably more and gave the planet distinct areas instead of leaving it as largely caverns.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
19 Mar: Splatoon (WU)
29 Mar: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
06 Apr: Actual Sunlight (Vita)
08 Apr: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
27 Apr: God of War (PS4)
07 May: Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica X HD (PS3)
20 May: Pikmin (Wii on WU)
28 May: Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
10 Jun: Final Fantasy IV (PSP on Vita)
16 Jun: Resident Evil HD Remaster (PS4)
19 Jul: Secret of Mana (SNES Nintendo Classic Mini)
26 Jul: Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster (PS4)
30 Jul: WarioWare Gold (N3DS)
21 Sep: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)
11 Oct: Resident Evil 5 (PC)
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

January - Jade Empire: Special Edition (PC)
February - Resident Evil HD Remaster, Jill playthrough (PC)
February - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
February - Super Metroid (SNES Classic Mini)
February - Resident Evil HD Remaster, Chris playthrough (PC)
March - The Walking Dead: Michonne (PC)
March - Tomb Raider: Legend (PS3)
May - Resident Evil 4 HD (PC)
June - The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (PC)
August - Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PS3)
September - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)

October - Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time (Android)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 8th, 2018, 10:58 pm Managed to sneak in a quick Resident Evil 5 playthrough with my man Michiel over a few evening sessions.

Some of its design flaws did become more apparent to me this time around as opposed to my last playthrough 7+ years ago. It sits comfortably near the bottom of my personal mainline RE list, but it does have its moments, especially in co-op.

Perfectly robust and serviceable in every way, but not the monument it could (should?) have been.
Fun times though, right?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: October 14th, 2018, 9:44 pm Fun times though, right?
Sure, I love getting my stagger states deliberately vandalised by some conniving trigger-happy hotelier!
Just kidding, it was fun! Always a pleasure, my friend. :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

"We're going in the meat grinder here!" :D :D :D
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Finally won the World Series in Out of the Park Baseball 19 (after 5 seasons as an expansion team) so I suppose it can be looked upon as 'finished'. Unfortunately it was the season where the game decided it would do everything it could to get me fired, so it wasn't actually very enjoyable.

I might continue on the next season a bit to see if things swing back my way.