Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 11:38 pmJAN - Dear Esther (PS4)
JAN - Lumino City (Android)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
MAR - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4)

I got Lost Legacy for Christmas, and decided since I'd not played the original trilogy in such a long time I'd replay them all to remind myself of the story. I did the first game last year and finished the second last night. It was still brilliant. I just absolutely love that world and the characters, and as everyone always says this is probably the best of the older three, I had an absolute blast playing it again. The story isn't actually that great, but it's the relationships between the characters and the acting that really sells it. A lot of people bemoan the fact there is so much shooting in these games, but I think it's actually a really solid third person shooter at its core. I think it feels great to play, and it remains one of my favorite gaming series to date. Looking forward to moving on to the final game of the original three in the next couple of weeks.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Mega man 3
Jan - Mega man 4
Jan - Mega man 5
Jan - Mega man 6
Jan - Mega man 7
Jan - Mega man 8
Jan - Mega man 9
Jan - Mega man 10
Jan - Horizon: Zero Dawn
Jan - Metal Slug XX
Jan - Dead Rising: Case Zero
Jan - Talespin
Jan - Darkwing Duck
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Jan - DuckTales
Jan - DuckTales 2
Feb - Wild Guns Reloaded
Feb - Bound
Feb - Quantum Break
Feb - Monster Hunter: World
Feb - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
Feb - Steins;Gate 0 (platinum)
Finally got my platinum on Steins;Gate 0 but march is going to be quiet for me.

Mar - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (story and arcade)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Life is Strange: Before the Storm - PS4.
(Jan) Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition - PS4.
(Jan) Watch Dogs II(platinum) - PS4.
(Feb) Marlow Briggs - Xbox 360.
(Feb) Shadow of the Colossus - PS4.
(Mar) Assassin's Creed Syndicate - PS4.
(Mar) Ghost Recon Wildlands - PS4.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Part of my plan over the next few years is to play all the old episodes of the podcast for games I haven’t played or want to replay.

Game 1 complete:
18th March: Lostwinds
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: March 15th, 2018, 7:24 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]

Chances are if you've played a twin-stick shooter on Switch (or many other platforms), it was made by 10tons. Their twin-stick shooters are responsive and competent but have a tendency to feel similar to one another. Tesla vs. Lovecraft definitely falls into this vein, but has a few ideas that help it stand out on its own and make it the most enjoyable 10tons twin-sticker shooter I've played.

When Tesla visits Arkham to give a demonstration of his inventions, he is interrupted by Lovecraft who accuses him of meddling in powers he cannot understand. Minions of Cthulu appear and make off with Tesla's inventions. He responds by strapping on a gun and chasing them down. It eases the player into the game, slowly opening up Tesla's abilities as he recovers his technology. The first level is brief, with Tesla killing a few basic enemies with a basic pistol. A few dozen levels later and the player is killing dozens of enemies in a row while periodically activating a giant set of powered armor. Reaching into 10tons usual roguelite milieu, players begin each level at level 1 again and must quickly ascend through levels, picking from randomly offered perks to increase their firepower. This is where its biggest weakness rears its head: On later levels, success often comes down which perks you get and which weapons spawn. Upgrades are available for purchase which mitigate this randomness somewhat, but it never truly goes away.

Tesla vs. Lovecraft looks hokey and feels cheap, but it's got a solid core that helps hold it up. As a twin-stick shooter with an interesting, if derivative, hook, it entertained me thoroughly.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)

That's one large RPG down. Trails in the Sky the 3rd, despite being the 3rd game, is more like that middle entry in a series. The first two games start and finish what they are telling while the 3rd is largely set up for games to come. Almost the entire game takes place in a pocket dimension where the side quests are view-able events from the past. While the writing is still great and there is some character developments, most of it occurs before the first game took place. Other plot developments take place between the 2nd and 3rd games. There is really only one character that gets developed as this game is going and that is, appropriately, the main character. It makes it feel like the it is spinning its wheels a bit. It doesn't help that the two masked antagonists of the game are incredibly obvious of who they are which is a shame as the reveal of the antagonist for the first two has been one of two jaw dropping plot twists I've experienced in games. There is a bit more to it than simply who they are so it still has some very cool (and sad) moments.

The combat gets a nice improvement from before. More turn actions get introduced and the harder difficulties are better balanced. It made things less magic spammy to get through things so your physical abilities saw the light of day. This was a nice finale for the sub-series and I eagerly await starting Cold Steel.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Completed Bayonetta on Switch. I never finished it back on Xbox 360. I loved it and really liked going for broke sometimes on some wild combo. Now onto Bayonetta 2.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
19 Mar: Splatoon (WU)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Simonsloth wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:27 pm
January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Zone of The Enders
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Part of my plan over the next few years is to play all the old episodes of the podcast for games I haven’t played or want to replay.

Game 1 complete:
18th March: Lostwinds
19th March: lost winds 2

Much better than the first in every way but would be very difficult without playing the first.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Bloodborne(PS4)- Finnished with the DLC this time around and in some ways my feelings have lessened and more flaws have revealed themselfs and in others I appreciatte the game more.

For what I like more, I really appreciated the combat more especially the regain system and how movement works, it's definetly the best combat system out of any of the souls games From made(or at least the one I enjoy the most), the atmosphere is also the best and I still loved the whole aesthetic from central Yharnam to the Fishing Hamlet and the level design here I also think it's the best From ever made.

As for what I liked less well:
I think the overall quality of the game kinda of goes downhill after the halfway point, it doesnt become terrible or anything but I think it's a big step down from the first half(especially if you consider Cainhurst, Hemwick and Nightmare Frontier on the first half since you can do all before finnishing the forest) The moment you reach Byrgenwerth I think the quality goes way down starting to how disapointing and small that area is which culminates with one of the worst fights in the game against ROM especially considering that fight is a turning point, ROM is the Ornstein and Smough of this game and he plain sucks. Afterwards you go back to unseen village and while in terms of visuals and atmosphere that might be my favorite area in the game actually playing trough it is a chore because of the the bell maidens and the laser Amygdalas and once again it culminates into a subpar bossfight. From there is the Nightmare of Mensis which is frenzy central(the worst status in any souls game) and once again a terrible boss fight agaisnt Micolash, the second half does get better(if you dont count that section with the Winter Lanterns, aka the worst enemy in the soul series) and has a good boss fight but then the game is over, playing it again the drop off in quality really showed and it really reminded me about how Dark souls 1 had a similar drop off after its halfway point.

The farming for healing and bullets is really terrible and it's by far the thing I dislike the most about this game, it think it clashes completelly with this type of game especially one that encourages agression, this is made worse by how the bonfires works since you cant reload areas by sitting in one making you either die or warp back and forth to Hunters Dream which talks alot more time and give how the loading times were on the game launched it stuns me that the dev team allowed the game to ship with this healing system that should've been axed right away because it goes even beyond grinding it affects the way you fight, in the middle of a boss I was constantly worried to use my healing itens because I didnt want to waste another 20 minutes grinding for them.

Weapon variety was also a problem I always thought the game had and I felt really vindicated by seeing that the devs seemed to agree because the DLC essentially doubles the amount of weapons in the game now this still means that most weapons are only avaliable at the end of the game due to the high difficulty of the DLC so if you're like me you dont like the early weapon you're kinda of screwed until you get there but still it's way better then it was before.

As for the DLC itself:
Overall I really liked it, to me it ranks just bellow Artorias and just above Ringed City, I do have some problems with many sections that are just unresonably hard, to me it seemed the designers were just being mean for no reason, like putting I really hard enemy in front of a boss door or hiding a weapon behind 2 of the hardest single enemies in the game. There were areas that I just ran through because I saw no way to do them the "honest" way.

For the bosses I have one general issue with most of them which is they all have this obnoxious jump move that make you lose track of them or makes your lock on go nuts, in fact in alot of the fights I felt I had to get rid of the lock on or I would die and this is mostly because of how lock on affects your movement changing your roll to the sidestep, I really hated those moves.
Maria was by far my favorite boss of the bunch and that's not just because I killed her first try(to compensate I died to Living Faliures a bunch until I figured out how to use the enviroment) but I love everything about her from her looks to her moveset, how the fight progresses,etc.To me she's up there with Gehrman as my favorite fights in the whole game, and coincidently they both have my favorite weapons too.

Oprhan of Kos was pretty tough but all and all I really liked him, the only things I disliked were those jump attacks and that lightining that demands you to dodge both him and the ground at the same time, but I really liked how he essentially had a ball and chain as a weapon in phase and behaved like a hunter and then kinda transformed into a beast in phase 2, it was similar to the first encounter with Gascoigne so i really liked that.

Ludwig I really hated at first, because I found his phase one so hard that I barely made it to 2 but then got stomped almost immediatly, at some point tough I kinda of got into his rythim for lack of a better word, I stopped being afraid of him and started playing more agressivelly and his second phase became really easy I just needed to focus on staying behind him and to never stop attacking XD.

Living Faliures have a pretty fitting name not much else there moving on.

Laurence was the fight I disliked the most,he seemed like a chalice dungeon boss and I do mean that in the worse way possible, down to the fire effects, he's just a more annoying Cleric beast with AoE fire attacks(btw using gear with high fire resist barely affected the fight)and his numbers just seemd cranked way up with him dealing tons of damage and having so much health, especially on his second phase I kept hitting him and it seemed his health bar wasnt going down one bit. Also for such a plot important character we barely get anything more about him storywise in the DLC and I found that really disapointing too.
All and all I really enjoyed go through the game again and the DLC but it's certainlly not perfect, in fact none of the souls games are, DS3 is probably the most consistent of them all but the criticism that it recycles too many ideas is certainly fair, ultimetly I think that fine and people will have their favorite based on different criteria, if i had to pick one I'd be tempted to go for Bloodborne because of the moment to moment gameplay bit I think both DS1 and DS3 are on the same level at least and like I said for different reasons. I love what From did with all the Souls games, DS2 not included, but I do hope they are working on something different with Shadows die twice or whatever it is, especially after listening to the tenchu show the idea of Stealth game by From sounds really appealing =D.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Zone of The Enders
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
20th March: Ico in 3D!

Marvellous game and definitely my favourite way to play it
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Simonsloth wrote: March 20th, 2018, 12:32 pm
January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Zone of The Enders
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
20th March: Ico in 3D!

Marvellous game and definitely my favourite way to play it
Good man, I enjoyed sotc that way when it came to ps3. Brilliant stuff!
James

Post by James »

3rd Jan - Hidden Folks (Android)
13th Jan - Bleed 2 (PC)
13th Jan - Bleed (Xbox One)
14th Jan - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
16th Jan - Scanner Sombre (PC)
17th Jan - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4)
21st Jan - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One)
24th Feb - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (RetroPie - PSX)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite (Remastered) (Xbox One)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 1 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
15th Mar - Actual Sunlight (Android)
18th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One)

Played through Actual Sunlight for Issue 311. Again, I'll avoid saying too much and let the podcast speak for me. It's a short game, but one that you'll want to be prepared to tackle; it's pretty dark throughout, and doesn't shy away from some difficult themes. Take the opening warning very seriously.

From one BioShock back to another. My sixth(?) playthrough of the original (remastered this time) actually sandwiched my replaying Infinite, as mentioned in my previous post. This further cemented my feelings about Infinite. For its flaws, I still love the atmosphere of that first trip to Rapture.

I tried to start the challenge rooms, but found them frustratingly inflexible in the single-solution nature of the puzzles they present. I'm sure I'll go back to them, but without the narrative and freeform combat aspects that are (to me) the hallmarks of the series, I found little to appeal, sadly.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Feb - Destiny 2 (Xbox One X)
Feb - Snake Pass (Switch)

Mar - NBA Playgrounds (Switch)

It’s NBA Jam. If you used to like NBA Jam, you’ll probably like this. I did, so I did. If you didn’t, you won’t. That is all.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

2/1 Battlefront 2 single player
2/1 Battlefront 2 Resurrection
5/1 inside iOS
26/1 Dishonored 2 Low chaos Emily play though
9/2 The Room : old sins
24/2Wolfenstin 2

March Love you to bits iOS

Saw this on go 8 bit and was intrigued by it. It’s a cute little game where each level is like a mini point and click adventure. Each level has its own style and theme, some have interesting ideas that you will only see in a single level. Only downer on it is that I want more levels to do as it was finished way to soon.

21/3/18 Rime

Found it to be a bit meh. It looks good with it stylelized art direction but does suffer from frame rate issues. I found the end to be emotionally charged, but the lead up to it was leaking in story. It’s like watching a ok film with one amazing scene in it. Mid league for me.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:39 pm 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]

If there are still any Fear Effect fans out there, I bet they're mad.

On the surface it appears to be a 3D isometric tactical RPG, something in the vein of XCOM. The game plays in real time, but you can pause it to deliver simultaneous commands to all of your predetermined units on any given map. It would seem this is needed because the companion AI is almost nonexistent, capable of following the player and standing motionless while firing. But it would only seem so since the tactical aspect of the game can be completely ignored. It's awkward and slow to deploy and the AI-controlled companions have a habit of standing motionless, doing nothing, after completing your commands. Luckily just opening fire on enemies until they die is a totally viable—and preferable—tactic. Only in a few set pieces whose total number can be counted on one hand is using each character's special ability a necessity. The combat aspires to depth but is mindless, shallow, and boring. Even the Fear Effect mechanic, where a character's stress level determines how much damage they take and deal, can be completely ignored. Not a great look for the mechanic the game is named after to be this irrelevant.

More surprising to me is the puzzles, which I thought were very good and wish there were more of. They often approach a 90s Adventure game in their opacity; most memorably was a number lock with the clue "Sedna IV," the S and IV written in a brighter color, and a compass on the wall with the different degree numbers written at each point. I won't give the solution, but suffice to say, I am extremely unaccustomed to seeing puzzles like this presenting themselves in a contemporary videogame.

The story apparently builds on previous Fear Effect titles (I haven't played them) so I didn't understand much of the frequently-referenced previous history of these characters. The story wraps up very quickly; I was actually taken aback when I got a credits screen because I was expecting at least another couple hours of plot. The monsters, based on Inuit mythology, are cool and unique and I wish more time had been spent developing them. It feels like they didn't even show up until the second half of the game; the first half is spent mostly shooting generic mooks with generic guns.

Disappointing and easy to recommend not spending money on.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Tekken 7
Feb - Bloodborne
Feb - Fallout Shelter
Feb - Bioshock Remastered
March - Monster Hunter World
March - Bastion
March - Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Story) - Maybe a controversial opinion but I liked the story, it's Star Wars. It shows off the mechanics and the story is acceptable. I hadn't planned on getting this game but I was given it and I'm having a good time with it so far. I think I'll wait for the upcoming changes to progression before jumping in on the multiplayer.
Beck

Post by Beck »

AndrewBrown wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 9:13 am
AndrewBrown wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:39 pm 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]

I'm loving that list of Switch games completed :)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

Been meaning for ages to get around to these games since they started releasing them on Steam. Since they finally got around to putting the third one out on early access, making all of the original games on PC, I decided it was time to start having a crack at them. Always had a bit of nostalgia with these games, having played them as a kid way back when, so it's fun to go back to them now. Although this is the first time I'll be able to play the third, since it never came out in Europe before, but that's for later.

This one is still fun, but it feels very much a product of its time. Very much a "me too" collectathon platformer from the early PS2 days. Mechanically, there's not a huge amount to talk about. In fact, as a platformer it's probably kind of bad. You have hardly any movement options, a good chunk of the levels have a lot of wide open useless space, some re-use a lot of assets, and objectives are mostly the same through every single one. The feel of jumping and momentum isn't brilliant either. Pretty stiff and basic, although not broken or anything. It's fine. What it does have on its side though is a unique character. It's very Australian. So all the environments are themed around that, along with the characters all being Aussie animals with thick accents spouting stereotypical quips. Some of the levels are pretty fun to explore too, dense with little areas to explore. You also have an array of boomerangs to use as your primary weapon, which is pretty unique. The idea isn't as fleshed out as it could have been, but they are pretty fun and simple to use. They all have various different properties too, making some more effective in certain spots.

So yeah, a fun little trip down memory lane that I enjoyed as a kind of brainless romp. Not something I would recommend if someone is actually looking for a decent example of the genre, but if you want some PS2 nostalgia with a bunch of cartoon characters going "Bonza, mate!", then this isn't a bad time.