Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Todinho »

Chopper wrote: February 27th, 2018, 9:16 am Evil Within 2 was next up on my 'to play' list. I have it installed and everything :(

I might skip it.
Dont let my massive disapointment stop you from trying it out, most people I've seen really enjoyed the game so you might too, just be ready to face some bugs that I think was universal.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Trying to decide at what point I’m going to out Dynasty Warriors 9 on here. I’ve finished the storylines of a few characters, but not yet got past chapter 7 of the overall narrative.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus

Obviously, this is the PS4 version. Was fantastic. I was a bit hesitant at the whole idea of this being a thing at first, since I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to situations like this where the game is so obviously the artistic vision of a single individual. But Bluepoint did a great job of doing justice to the original and staying faithful, while also revamping things in a smart way.

Originally I was afraid that this remake would go over the top with adding in visual detail, losing the sense of eerie emptiness of the original, but they managed to maintain it really well. They didn't add in too much detail, and kept the same feeling aesthetic to the art as they updated it. I also think they did a good job of using different techniques to evoke the same kinds of feelings of the original when it was suited. Things like atmospheric and lighting effects were put to real good use to evoke the haziness or the original in a modern way. It really gives the sense that if Team Ico were making the game themselves for the first time today, this is pretty close to what it would be like.

Playing on the Pro meant I could play at 60fps too, which was pretty cool. Very smooth experience, although it's not really necessary with a game as slow paced as this. That said, I did try switching to the "Cinematic Mode" a couple of times, but couldn't keep it on for more than a few seconds. It feels so choppy in comparison. So much so I think there's more going on than it simply being 30fps. On the topic of technical stuff though, one minor flaw is that there's some slightly distracting pop-in with grass and foliage, in both performance modes, that is pretty hard to ignore in those wide open plains. Doesn't really negatively impact the experience though, and I'll definitely take that over the major pop-in issues of the original.

Noticed some interesting things in the credits. I was keeping my eye out for Ueda's name to see if he had any involvement in this game at all, or if he was just in the thanks section or something. He was there, as a "supervisor." Not sure exactly what that means for his role in development though. I also noticed EA shows up at the end of the credits for some reason. A bunch of legal jargon about distribution, so I didn't have time to read it before it scrolled past. But that was weird.

Anyway, it was a good game. Does justice to the original and keeps faithful while also making smart and considered changes. Definitely retains the magic.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Scrustle wrote: February 27th, 2018, 11:08 pm Definitely retains the magic.
Wonderful post. I agree wholeheartedly with the quoted.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:54 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]

I've finished Bayonetta 2 minutes ago, and I am trying to grapple with feelings towards it in light of my Bayonetta 1 replay last week. It has all the refinements I expect from a sequel, but it doesn't feel like a markedly different videogame overall... so why then do I feel so warmly towards it after the contempt I felt for the first?

I feel so much joy and energy exuding from Bayonetta 2; the first felt like a chore just to finish. In Bayonetta 2, I was often in awe of the spectacle and laughing at the antics; contrast to the first, where my experience was consternation and frustration. Where Bayonetta is drab and dour, suffused in a brown pallor, Bayonetta 2 is bright and colorful. I didn't understand what was happening in Bayonetta's plot; I didn't know what the character's motivations were, why the things they were doing were important (if indeed they actually were), or why the action takes place in its setting. Bayonetta 2 does eventually wander into this path in its final act, but in the first half I knew why she is climbing Fimbulventr, extraneous characters like Luka have their screentime significantly reduced, and things I didn't understand I got the impression I wasn't supposed to understand quite yet as Bayonetta is accidentally embroiled in other conflicts while tending to her own business.

I beat both titles on Normal difficulty, and Bayonetta 2 feels like an easier game. Witch Time feels more reactive and generous to initiate, and keeping constant pressure on my targets and dodging mid-attack feels more viable than the first game, where I would often wait for the enemy to make the first move. I consistently scored Stone ranks in Bayonetta 1, even when I got good scores on most Verses. I do not understand the ranking system in that videogame at all except that it is brutal. In Bayonetta 2 I got a respectable collection of many different Ranks, finishing with an overall campaign ranking of Silver. The portals to bonus verses are sharply contrasted; I quit entering them in Bayonetta 1 because they were always challenges beyond my ken; a few in Bayonetta 2 challenged me briefly, but I didn't find a single one which was beyond my ability on a first visit (indeed, they may be too easy now).

Perhaps my increased enjoyment of Bayonetta 2 is as simple as this: I feel like it respects my effort a lot more. This respect is felt most prominently in the button-mashing Torture and Punish attacks: in Bayonetta 1, even if I know in advance a meter is coming I rarely pump it up to Max; in Bayonetta 2, even if I get a late start, the meter fills quickly and is easy to cap out. It makes Bayonetta feel like a powerful demigod playing with her enemies like a cat playing with a mouse rather than a minorly-empowered human struggling against forces beyond her ability and comprehension.

If nothing else, getting rid of all the terrible instant-death quicktime events can only improve my demeanor towards the series.

I think there's still some polish that could be applied to Bayonetta to really wring out all the joy. For some reason some of the bonus modes are buried at the end of the Story Mode selection, and if you want to go back to your file menu you have to quit from that to the main menu, then reload your save. There's no logical reason for the menus to be constructed this way. The option to replay Story Mode with the cutscenes disabled would be nice; an Endless mode where you can just revel in the scrumptious combat until you run out of health contrasted against some of the more outrageous environments (the falling clocktower, for example) would be better.

I'd worried that my experience in Bayonetta 1 was sending me into Bayonetta 2 with a "giant chip on my shoulder." Triumphantly, it had the exact opposite effect: My feelings towards Bayonetta 1 were so negative that Bayonetta 2's "improvements," minor though they are, are revelatory. Bayonetta 3 has rocketed onto my radar now, and I'll be playing it ravenously at launch rather than curiously.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan 1st - The Turing Test (Xbox One)
From the same studio that made Pneuma, this is actually a very similar game to that 1st person walk and puzzle sim. The mechanics and settings are different (move light to places to open doors on a moon base compared to using your vision to 'shift' the world you inhabit) but the exploration into personal control pretty much follows on from where Pneuma started (that there is a shout out to Pneuma within the Turing Test is not surprising).
Some have mentioned that this game riffs from Portal - I think that's more a reflection of them both being set in a slightly futuristic base than a deliberate intent - but Valve's game remains a much better example of a 1st person puzzler and I think most people would come away from this game a little disappointed.

Feb 21st - Split Second/Velocity (Xbox 360)
Despite having owed this game since it's initial release, it spent years collecting dust in my pile of shame, until it was a recent Games with Gold title.
It stands up as a great example of an arcade racer - my racing preference is very much towards the Burnout/kart racer end than the GT/Forza sim end so this is right up my street. Graphics look a little dated but looked fine from my Xbox One and the soundtrack is awesome.
It's not perfect by any means - the rubber banding is a little too biased towards the front of the pack and the power plays collusion detection is a little erratic - but it remains a blast to play and the online community seems to be reasonably active, at least at the moment
There is a definite sequel hook at the end so it's a shame that Black Rock studios no longer exist but there are very few games that I can think of that perfectly can capture that exhilaration of suddenly moving up the pack from a well-timed power play and quite literally getting first place at the last split second of a race

Feb 28th - Tales From The Borderlands (Xbox One)
So finally finished off this one from Telltales Games. I remember liking episode 1 a lot (check the games completed 2017 thread) but found that episodes 2 and 3 dragged a little. Episode 4 picked up and Episode 5 was great. Pacing throughout the games was erratic - I remember it really dragging through E2 and E3 and then thinking that E5 was a little too brisk.
Biggest issue I had with the game was that if your two lead characters are deadpan snarkers in the scripted conversations, then it makes conversation choices harder. I did keep keep picking conversation choices that I wanted them to be a little sardonic upon and the game went much more cutting than felt right to me.
I also felt that a couple of the QTE moves didn't respond as well as they should, and that the time available to respond wasn't consistent through the episodes so got a couple of deaths that seemed a little unfair.
The artistics -visual and audio - match the Borderlands universe mostly but I am coming to realise that the more two dimensional nature of a shooter game (albeit be it with looting mechanics) is a better fit for the graphic style particularly.
I'm left thinking I'm glad I played it but also glad it was a Games With Gold title rather than a paid for title ...
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Apologises for the double post - just following on my point regarding The Turing Test and realised that I completed Gone Home (also with a 100% achievement score) in late December and that was also a good example of a 1st person walking game - not really much in the way of puzzles of course but very atmospheric and that one is worth a look if you haven't already played it
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Good call on Split Second/Velocity. As an avid arcade racing fan myself, I don't think it quite reaches the heights of the other standout games in the genre such as F-Zero and Burnout, but it is indeed a wonderful little "almost-great" title. Tense moment-to-moment mechanical interaction and fantastic "gamefeel".
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

AndrewBrown wrote: February 28th, 2018, 9:32 am
AndrewBrown wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:54 am 02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]

I've finished Bayonetta 2 minutes ago, and I am trying to grapple with feelings towards it in light of my Bayonetta 1 replay last week. It has all the refinements I expect from a sequel, but it doesn't feel like a markedly different videogame overall... so why then do I feel so warmly towards it after the contempt I felt for the first?

I feel so much joy and energy exuding from Bayonetta 2; the first felt like a chore just to finish. In Bayonetta 2, I was often in awe of the spectacle and laughing at the antics; contrast to the first, where my experience was consternation and frustration. Where Bayonetta is drab and dour, suffused in a brown pallor, Bayonetta 2 is bright and colorful. I didn't understand what was happening in Bayonetta's plot; I didn't know what the character's motivations were, why the things they were doing were important (if indeed they actually were), or why the action takes place in its setting. Bayonetta 2 does eventually wander into this path in its final act, but in the first half I knew why she is climbing Fimbulventr, extraneous characters like Luka have their screentime significantly reduced, and things I didn't understand I got the impression I wasn't supposed to understand quite yet as Bayonetta is accidentally embroiled in other conflicts while tending to her own business.

I beat both titles on Normal difficulty, and Bayonetta 2 feels like an easier game. Witch Time feels more reactive and generous to initiate, and keeping constant pressure on my targets and dodging mid-attack feels more viable than the first game, where I would often wait for the enemy to make the first move. I consistently scored Stone ranks in Bayonetta 1, even when I got good scores on most Verses. I do not understand the ranking system in that videogame at all except that it is brutal. In Bayonetta 2 I got a respectable collection of many different Ranks, finishing with an overall campaign ranking of Silver. The portals to bonus verses are sharply contrasted; I quit entering them in Bayonetta 1 because they were always challenges beyond my ken; a few in Bayonetta 2 challenged me briefly, but I didn't find a single one which was beyond my ability on a first visit (indeed, they may be too easy now).

Perhaps my increased enjoyment of Bayonetta 2 is as simple as this: I feel like it respects my effort a lot more. This respect is felt most prominently in the button-mashing Torture and Punish attacks: in Bayonetta 1, even if I know in advance a meter is coming I rarely pump it up to Max; in Bayonetta 2, even if I get a late start, the meter fills quickly and is easy to cap out. It makes Bayonetta feel like a powerful demigod playing with her enemies like a cat playing with a mouse rather than a minorly-empowered human struggling against forces beyond her ability and comprehension.

If nothing else, getting rid of all the terrible instant-death quicktime events can only improve my demeanor towards the series.

I think there's still some polish that could be applied to Bayonetta to really wring out all the joy. For some reason some of the bonus modes are buried at the end of the Story Mode selection, and if you want to go back to your file menu you have to quit from that to the main menu, then reload your save. There's no logical reason for the menus to be constructed this way. The option to replay Story Mode with the cutscenes disabled would be nice; an Endless mode where you can just revel in the scrumptious combat until you run out of health contrasted against some of the more outrageous environments (the falling clocktower, for example) would be better.

I'd worried that my experience in Bayonetta 1 was sending me into Bayonetta 2 with a "giant chip on my shoulder." Triumphantly, it had the exact opposite effect: My feelings towards Bayonetta 1 were so negative that Bayonetta 2's "improvements," minor though they are, are revelatory. Bayonetta 3 has rocketed onto my radar now, and I'll be playing it ravenously at launch rather than curiously.
I couldn't agree more. I liked Bayonetta a lot, unlike you, but absolutely bossing a level then having all that hard work undone by a bullshit QTE sequence or an overlong, poor homage to a dull early Sega arcade game ruined a lot of my best playthroughs.

Whereas in 2, I grinned from ear to ear at the opening level, the Lumen Sage battles, the way the story made sense of the first game, the secret challenges and the colourful levels. Bayonetta felt a bit toned down as a character to me compared to the first game, but otherwise I preferred most of what the game did.

You should listen to the C&R show on this if you haven't. Is a really interesting one, as you and I are a lot more positive than the top level players and panel. But I maintain that, if you're just going to play the game a handful of times, then the sequel is far more enjoyable.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

February 4th - DOOM (Switch)
February 7th - Oxenfree (Switch)
February 17th - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
February 25th - The Fall Part 2: Unbound (Switch)

February 28th - Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch)

What a great campaign. I really enjoyed Shovel Knight, with it's RPG elements and characters, but I think I preferred the gameplay of this. Specter Knight's moveset is really great once you get in a flow and I found myself tackling levels without pausing for breath, unlike the stop start nature of the main game.

Liked the way the story connected with the main game and never felt like I was retreading levels or experiences from the original quest, which is quite a feat given its the same cast. Some ingenious level design and platforming on show too.

Truly great game. Plague Knight and the final campaign due out this year to go.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Beautiful game. I think the plot tries to pull to the heartstrings a bit too much.
A lot of the plot points are driven by parents trying to protect their children. I liked how that motivated characters on opposite sides, namely the Spirit Tree and Kuro.
In terms of gameplay, I realised that I don't play many Metroidvania style platformers. The progression of powers felt meaningful and powerful and really helped getting around and the collectables incentivised exploration of the world. I have a major issue with all the escape sequences that happen in the game, moments in the escapes fell too random or it's not obvious how to trigger some event that you need to progress in the escape. They just led to frustration.

Despite that I really liked playing it. I will play Ori and the Will of the Wisps but probably buy it on sale. Also I have one more podcast episode to listen to now. :)
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Mega man 3
Jan - Mega man 4
Jan - Mega man 5
Jan - Mega man 6
Jan - Mega man 7
Jan - Mega man 8
Jan - Mega man 9
Jan - Mega man 10
Jan - Horizon: Zero Dawn
Jan - Metal Slug XX
Jan - Dead Rising: Case Zero
Jan - Talespin
Jan - Darkwing Duck
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Jan - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Jan - DuckTales
Jan - DuckTales 2
Feb - Wild Guns Reloaded
Feb - Bound
Feb - Quantum Break
Feb - Monster Hunter: World
Feb - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
Feb - Steins;Gate 0
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World

After about 113 hours, the credits have rolled. The main campaign may be done, but I don't plan to stop playing this. Fantastic experience getting here though. Combat in this game really is up there with some of the best all of games has to offer. Complex, deliberate, loads of depth, a huge amount of variety, with a huge range of amazing and meticulously crafted creatures to take on. Fantastic art design too. Stunningly detailed environments, great monster and equipment designs, and all really unique too. Top notch soundtrack as well.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

20/01: Horizon Zero Dawn Frozen Wilds
02/02: Yoshi's Wooly World
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:46 pm JAN - Dear Esther (PS4)
JAN - Lumino City (Android)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)

Probably the most consistently brilliant series I've ever played, if we include Demons and Bloodborne, too. It's a great game. Some epic fights I'll remember for a long time. On the whole, I'd say its the least difficult of the Soulsborne series, but there were a few bosses who took me a fair few attempts. The Nameless King and Prince Lothric both took well over 10 tries, although the final boss itself was relatively easy after those two I found! Really enjoyed this from start to finish. I don't think there's a weak area in the game. Top marks! Already looking forward to a future Cane & Rinse episode...!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just beat Alwa's Awakening (cute, charming, annoying) and Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich (too short!).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 12:38 amJAN - Dear Esther (PS4)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)

That was brilliant.

A piece of genius art.

I loved it.

Amazing.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 11:38 pm
Alex79uk wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 12:38 amJAN - Dear Esther (PS4)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)

That was brilliant.

A piece of genius art.

I loved it.

Amazing.
Absolutely fantastic
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I haven’t posted my completed games on here yet. Been trying to play along with the podcasts and I’ve now comfortably raced ahead mainly due to skipping the final fantasy games. Sympathies for those down to do the final fantasy podcasts.

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny