Ghouls 'N Ghosts No Death Clear Video

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
OneCreditBen

Ghouls 'N Ghosts No Death Clear Video

Post by OneCreditBen »

Thought I'd share my latest video on here as I know there's plenty of fans of the franchise in general.
I'm really pleased with how this one turned out, and will probably be a marker in terms of gaming achievements for me for a very long time. Enjoy!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Ghouls 'N Ghosts No Death Clear Video

Post by ratsoalbion »

Applying to have you sectioned now.
:D
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Superb, the patience you must have!.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 31st, 2018, 12:26 pm Applying to have you sectioned now.
:D
It seems only logical now.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

DomsBeard wrote: January 31st, 2018, 1:11 pm Superb, the patience you must have!.
It took a long old time I'm not going to lie but the hardest bit is starting again just after you've died. I'm well happy with how it turned out in the end though, all those takes really were worth it eventually.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I have no appreciation for the classics but I really enjoyed that. I think it was all the swearing. :D

Great emotional ending too!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It's even better when you have an appreciation for the classics. ;)

Love this video and I'm so impressed.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Absolutely loved this. At first, I was laughing along at the gratuitous swearing and talking to yourself, keeping yourself focused, but as it got more and more tense and you realised you were close, it was absolutely gripping! Every bullet, those fucking eggs, losing the armour at Beelzebub, the roar. Brilliant stuff and a great start to the day.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Can I just say that I really enjoyed the video, despite not knowing anything about the game? The commentary made it all worth it. Excellent stuff.

"It's a metaphor for life in a lot of respects" :lol:
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the video, and I'm happy that even if you don't have a background of playing the series, the video was still fun and watchable.

I began this whole process in November last year, after doing Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES. There was something about how raw and arcadey this version felt, and I quickly set about progress running. It wasn't until the end of December that I got a good one credit clear but somehow it wasn't quite enough. I got the take and then got a drink and started playing it again. I did similar things with Contra, Green Beret and a few others that I ended up going back for a no death clear.

The take you saw on the video there was take 412.

In that time I had managed to one credit clear the game 6 times, although probably the last 150 takes would have contained more but I reset if I lost a life. I'd got to the second loop on one life at least 50 times.

In all honesty, I can't remember what happened when I got that final take. I had to listen to the whole thing back again to make sure it really happened. My heart was racing and my hands wouldn't stop shaking for at least 15 minutes afterwards. It's ridiculous really, all I had done was beat an old game but somehow there was more to it than that. It felt like every single death over those past few months, were all released at that fateful moment I got the last clear.

It's a bit of a cliche but I feel a bit empty now somehow, I used to always get like this after RPGs like Shining Force or Secret of Mana. It feels like I'm unable to remember what happened, before I started playing all those months ago.

The biggest thing is that I think about this clear, is that it honestly represents the single greatest gaming achievement of my adult life and it'll be there forever. I never thought I'd beat the achievement of doing R-Type on one life, but this tops it.

I'm still playing a bit of Ghouls N Ghosts as it happens, just experimenting with different weapons combinations and regional versions. I'll probably end up doing a bonus video or two as well, because only putting one video out on such a monumental lot of progress running seems like a bit of waste.

I'm nothing special when it comes to videogames, I say that all the time but it's true.

However the ability to put another credit in and starting again, seconds after losing your last one, goes a long way when dealing with unforgiving games from an era long forgotten, but fondly remembered.

On another note I'm trying to get the perfect game of Golden Axe down at the moment (Hardest Difficulty/Not Getting Hit), I'll be in touch when I get it right.

They all fall eventually my friends.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jesus...that is impressive. I can't even clear that game with infinite continues! :lol:
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Alex79uk wrote: February 5th, 2018, 3:15 pm Jesus...that is impressive. I can't even clear that game with infinite continues! :lol:
You could if you sat down and played it for a while my friend.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just watched this at work. Had the volume down fairly low, even so at the end, the 100db THERE YOU FUCKING GO raised a few eyebrows :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome video.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Alex79uk wrote: February 5th, 2018, 3:56 pm Just watched this at work. Had the volume down fairly low, even so at the end, the 100db THERE YOU FUCKING GO raised a few eyebrows :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome video.
Yeah, sorry about that hahaha.
I did get a bit crazy with that finish didn't I?
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Amazing video! Seriously impressed!!! But more than anything, your commentary got me to the level one boss for the first time in thirty years of trying. Thanks!
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

stvnorman wrote: February 18th, 2018, 9:50 pm Amazing video! Seriously impressed!!! But more than anything, your commentary got me to the level one boss for the first time in thirty years of trying. Thanks!
You could easily do the next boss as well my friend!
Congratulations on getting past Shielder, he can be a tricky sod at times.
Get yourself comfortable, get the kettle on, and get cracking on the village of decay!
CERBERUS AWAITS!