Brawlhalla

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Brawlhalla

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone?

I did a search yesterday for best free to play PS4 games and this kept cropping up. If you don't know, it's a free to play (duh) Smash Brothers type game, 4v4 platform brawler. And.... it's a lot of fun! I've just sat playing it for about half an hour and really enjoyed it. No clue what I'm doing (never got in to Smash Bros) but mashing the buttons serves ok on the unranked matches. I'm going to go through the tutorials next time I put it on because I can see myself getting really in to this. Anyone else tried it? It's had great reviews.
stvnorman

Re: Brawlhalla

Post by stvnorman »

You playing this appeared on my PS4 feed the other day. Apparently I’d downloaded it before, but possibly before I knew it was multiplayer and therefore until recently couldn’t play it because of our slow internet. Anyway, I’d not played it until tonight and you’re right, it really is fun. I spent the first few games just button mashing and wondering how my score was always negative, but got the hang of it and I’ve had a couple of second places. However, don’t do what I did and look for control tips... this apparently isn’t far off Street Fighter levels of nuance and complexity and now I’m massively intimidated!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I picked up Brawlhalla when it was released on Xbox One (early November 2018) and it's quickly become the one game that I put on every day.

This partly as I'm doing the long grind towards the various levels needed for achievements but also because it's a fun game! There is certainly some nuance to it but dropping into the unranked matchmaking for a couple of matches is something I've come to enjoy.

I have found it easier as a UK resident to use the North America servers - they load into an actual match much faster than with the European servers. Though I'm also normally logging in around 10.30pm or later so that may be a factor.

It's not perfect - the camera still has a habit of zooming out a little far, which can make it tricky to keep track of your character if there are a couple with similar skins/colours - but it's probably as near I'm getting to a Smash Bros game (at least until the girls are older and I can introduce them to a new game on the Wii...)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I much prefer this to Smash Bros to be honest. Admittedly I've only ever played the N64 and Wii incarnations of that game, but I could never get in to it, just really didn't like it at all. I even preferred the Sony Allstars rip off game :lol:
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I've only tried all-stars once - it seemed well put together but I haven't put any real time into it.

I think Smash Bros to me feels more like a party /local co-op game whilst Brawlhalla is a little more of an online game.

I'm still also not convinced by some of the hitboxes for particular attacks but I'm not sticking to any one character (daily mission guides who I play) so there is a little of 'wait, which moveset am I using today?'
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Picked this up again on Switch and its still a lot of fun. I was looking for couch multiplayer games we could play with the two bits of joycons and this is huge fun.

I've never been in to Smash, but I must admit I'm tempted by the Switch version because it'll just be a polished version of this with Nintendo characters really won't it?

Is there much single player content in Smash? Also, is the online community active? The one good thing about Brawlhalla is I've never failed to get a match when I want one.

(Also been playing Paladins which is great, but that's for another thread!)