Red Dead Redemption II

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Red Dead Redemption II

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I have a question, perhaps somebody can help me out. A superficial google search didn't bear any result and I'm afraid to dig any deeper for fear of spoilers.

Is it possible to have several missions open at the same time? Because as soon as I start one all other mission icons disappear and I'm forced to go back to the camp before I can start another one. Am I missing anything?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No. All Rockstar open world games follow the same format really. One mission at a time. Its not like in an RPG, you just start a mission and are supposed to do it immediately.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, I see. It must have been 10 years since I last played a Rockstar game, so I had probably forgotten about their structure. Thanks a lot!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I have one major complaint about the game - and it's the same complaint I had about GTA V.

I absolutely hate the evaluation system they have for missions now.

It used to be pass/fail and that would be that. Now it's a series of subjective things you have to do to get a "gold" in the mission - that they don't tell you until after you've finished the bloody mission.

Open world games are supposed to be about playing the way you want to play, not being held to a rigid set of objectives. Especially when you don't know what those objectives are until after you've finished the mission.

It just seems counter intuitive to me. I know it doesn't really "spoil" the game because I still pass the missions, but I don't like being told I did a crap job because I didn't know I was supposed to do something.

Case in point: (Very, very mild spoilers here) I rescued a team mate from some bounty hunters. He was tied up and strung up, hanging upside down. One of the objectives was to shoot the rope, rather than cut him down. I didn't shoot the rope because I didn't want to waste the ammo - so I was punished for it. It's just arbitrary and stupid. It's the biggest flaw in an otherwise very enjoyable game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

But you were punished in what way? Because in GTA V (I've not played RDR2) it mattered not even one tiny little bit if you got 'gold' in a mission. This will only bother you if you let it. I found it to be entirely ignorable in GTA V.
Suits

Post by Suits »

In my experiance the ‘Grading’ system at the end of each mission is irrelevant in terms of how the story progresses and seems to only be worth something upon completing the game and adding some replay-ability to the missions.

It is slightly immersion breaking I suppose but then again so are the controls.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Put some more hours into this yesterday, and I'm starting to get into the swing of things.

I kinda have to force myself to dedicate long evening sessions to playing this game instead of my two other in-and-out titles of the moment (Infinifactory and Ghost Trick), but I feel rather compelled once I'm in. The attention to detail truly is stunning. The graphics are very pretty and border on photo-realistic at times, although I don't know how much this means coming from me considering that I find every other modern AAA game to look fantastic. I don't really have the eye for technical detail to see much more than that.

There's a lot of mechanics to memorize and keep track of, perhaps too many. I haven't quite figured out all the details of the hunting, hygiene, food and camp economy, for example. I don't want to willfully ignore that side of things either, because it does seem like an integral part of the experience this time around.

Story is very engaging so far even though I'm still in the beginning section. I'm sure there's a lot more to come later on. The first RDR is a notorious slow-burner that saves the majority of its highlights for the final act, and this one seems even more so.

It's certainly a very different kind of experience from what I tend to gravitate towards, but I firmly intend to play it all the way through in order to appreciate the craftsmanship and to form an informed opinion of the entire product.

(And so I can finally delete these obscene 100+Gb from my HDD to make place for other things.)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I can’t even play it as there’s not enough space on my hard drive and I am
too precious to delete unfinished games! I completely appreciate my saves will still be there when I redownload them but something about it seems just, well, wrong.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: November 30th, 2018, 11:25 am I can’t even play it as there’s not enough space on my hard drive and I am
too precious to delete unfinished games! I completely appreciate my saves will still be there when I redownload them but something about it seems just, well, wrong.
I know the struggle, man. I have a 1 TB HDD and the majority of my games are physical copies, but I still have to regularly micro-manage my storage space. Buying discounted AAA games like Prey, Alien or Nioh from various PSN sales wasn't such a great idea in retrospect.

Don't you have any disc-based games you can delete? Or are you full digital?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I have loads of disc based games and generally opt for physical media over digital. Resale value, sentimentality and preparation for the arrival of Skynet are all factors. I have astronomical amounts of digital only games. My psn download list takes a day to scroll to the bottom of. I jest but it’s ludicrously long like my trophy list which crashes my PS3 and vita.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Put some more hours into this game, and it is well on track to challenge its predecessor's spot for my favorite western-developed open world game.

More thoughts to follow. I'm as surprised as you are.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Quote from the beginning of Chapter 4:
Spoiler: show
This place... ain't no such thing as civilized. It's man so in love with greed... He has forgotten himself and found only appetites.
Daaamn, that's a great line. :shock:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: December 15th, 2018, 10:04 am Thanks to the incredible generosity of a forumite (who I won't name here in case he'd rather I didn't) who has lent me his copy, I played the first three hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 last night.

And it was everything I'd hoped!

I fucking loved it!

I like Westerns. I like the movies, the setting, the characters, the atmosphere, the soundtracks, and this is like playing the best of Sergio Leone with a Tarantino twist. The slow, considered opening was amazing, the world building, reading the journal, the riding, the hunting, the fighting, the shooting, it was amazing!

I've only just made it to the start of chapter 2 and am now 'allowed' off in to the world on my own, and I can't wait to get back on it tonight!
To add to this, Rockstar have just achieved such an amazing level of immersion in that open world. I'm really playing the part, too. In GTA I'll burn up to a mission, handbrake the car, hit several pedestrians and sprint to the mission marker. In this I'm carefully trotting my horse up to the edge of town, leading it to a hitching post, tying it up and moseying on down to the mission start. Part of that is that the penalties for hitting people are so severe. You better not crash in to anyone, or you'll be shot at or reported. I'm about six hours in now, but only done 3 or 4 proper missions.

I don't know whether the game has been patched with regard to the controls or not, but I know almost everyone said how bad the controls were at launch - I've not had a single issue with them. Never shot at anyone by accident or anything like that.

I'm itching to play it every day, but have to get up at half five for work most days so just don't get chance in the week. Roll on the weekend and my week off over Christmas, because this is going to get rinsed!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I didn't get on with it, but it's good to hear that those that are enjoying it are really enjoying it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Chopper wrote: December 20th, 2018, 7:46 am I didn't get on with it, but it's good to hear that those that are enjoying it are really enjoying it.
Yeah me too. Will get to it one day but I think I do not get Rockstar games. Bought GTA V digitally day one on PS4 and still never finished that either!!.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Me three.

GTAV and RDR2, where I admire them for what they are doing - I just can’t get that into them.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: December 20th, 2018, 10:50 am Me three.

GTAV and RDR2, where I admire them for what they are doing - I just can’t get that into them.
They are no Fallout 76 that's for sure :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: December 20th, 2018, 11:05 am They are no Fallout 76 that's for sure :D
For sure :lol: .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A question - I have a lot of missions available to me at the moment. Is it possible that I could lock out access to any missions if I take them in the wrong order? I'm worried I might accidentally progress the story and lock off previously available missions. I don't want to miss anything and make that mistake!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This seems like a pretty reliable, spoiler-free source:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/4 ... -no-return