Red Dead Redemption II

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Red Dead Redemption II

Post by JaySevenZero »

Since the game is a mere six months away, it seems an appropriate time to get the thread started for what is undoubtedly gonna be one of - if not the - biggest release this year!

Alex79

Re: Red Dead Redemption II

Post by Alex79 »

Yep. Looks good.

And that's the last video I'll be watching for the game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I like a good western now and then, and this looks fairly interesting. The first one is really good.

I doubt I'll buy it at launch, though.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Anyone else find this trailer oddly lacklustre?

I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm feeling more "hmm" than "whoa!".

Unlikely I'll get this one on release regardless. I took a long time to warm to RDR and I never truly loved it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

My guess would be that since Rockstar games are pretty much guaranteed to break sales record left and right, they are intentionally playing their cards pretty close to the chest and only showing the bare minimum necessary to generate interest in the game. No need to spoil half the game's highlights in promotional material if everyone's going to buy it regardless.

If that's the case, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. I'd rather have a restrained, suggestive promotion that leaves a lot to the imagination instead of the hyper-aggressive marketing so many other companies are fond of.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think I would have quite liked a bombastic Tarantino-esque trailer with fast cuts and introducing characters with their names slamming on to the screen, though.

Rockstar have never exactly been known for their subtlety. They may as well go all in!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:35 pm Rockstar have never exactly been known for their subtlety.
You may want to pay more attention to the radio stations in the gta games, for every blatant dig there are a dozen more subtle ones.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

So what edition are folks going for - standard, ultimate, or full-on collectors?

Find it strange they've called this 'Ultimate'...

...when you can get this...

Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Except it doesn't even include the game
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, that "Collector's Box" just looks like a pile of tat to me.
How much are they charging for that?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I would have gone for the collectors before seeing there's no game included.

For the ultimate edition on Game (which includes a physical copy of the game) a whopping £180!
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

kintaris wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:18 pm Anyone else find this trailer oddly lacklustre?

I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm feeling more "hmm" than "whoa!".

Unlikely I'll get this one on release regardless. I took a long time to warm to RDR and I never truly loved it.
I agree about the trailer. It's a little underwhelming but that's okay. I'll be buying the game for sure. I loved John Marston. He has this chivalrous, gentlemanly killer vibe that I really dig on. He is a bad personal but not beyond redemption. You see glimpses of the monster he was in the monster he is. I think he was a very subtle character, he's not even a particularly memorable looking character which I really like.

The protagonist featured in this trailer feels like a generic cowboy thug. Very stereotyped I guess. Not particularly likable or even interested in redemption. It's too soon to tell I guess. I have very little to go on so I'll withhold judgement until I play the game. It's not like I expect or want them to do the exact same take on the redemption theme.

Marston' charismatic charm will be hard to top. Not that the story and gunplay and setting weren't all great but Marston as a character is really the defining achievement of the first game. In my humble opinion. I'll hope for the best and honestly I'm pretty optimistic!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

chase210 wrote: June 5th, 2018, 11:45 amFor the ultimate edition on Game (which includes a physical copy of the game) a whopping £180!
Yeah, not for me, ta.
I don't mind a nice bit of merch/tat when it's a genuine bonus or a present/perk/freebie - but I never splash out on these kerazy editions.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Am I correct in hearing that like the first RDR there will be no PC release of this game?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

NuKaholic wrote: June 5th, 2018, 12:14 pm Am I correct in hearing that like the first RDR there will be no PC release of this game?
Apparently not, which is a shame.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

chase210 wrote: June 5th, 2018, 12:22 pm
NuKaholic wrote: June 5th, 2018, 12:14 pm Am I correct in hearing that like the first RDR there will be no PC release of this game?
Apparently not, which is a shame.
Yeah that's what I thought I heard. That's too bad. PS4 it is I guess.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 5th, 2018, 10:53 am So what edition are folks going for
At the risk of ruining the mood, I intend to go for the GOTY edition. All the content for two thirds of the price sounds like a decent deal to me. :P
chase210

Post by chase210 »

For the ultimate edition alone (which includes a map and steelbook) its £90! Bit steep.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm generally a big sucker for the Limited Edition games, mainly Nintendo nowadays but I went through a stage during the Xbox 360 generation of collecting them all.

The biggest, most expensive and most silly I think was the Skyrim one, with the Dragon on the Wall - which is pretty freaking cool and it did come with the game, so I stand by that purchase still to this day.

Things have gotten a bit out of hand here mind, not so much the useless tat (which I actually think is rather neat in this instance) but the big versions coming without the game, it just makes the whole package seem like even more of a pointless waste of time and soulless.

The Ultimate Edition with the map, will likely be where I end up landing on this game - on the Xbox One X also as that will probably be the best performing version.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I imagine RDRII should perform its best on XOX, though hopefully the disparity between the versions won't be as stark as it was last gen, with the 640p PS3 version of RDR being markedly inferior (this was before Rockstar managed pretty much 1:1 with Max Payne 3 and GTAV).

Also, and I've been stressing this everywhere I can, if you want to return to the previous game and you have access to an Xbox One, the version that you now have available really is a tremendous upgrade, especially on X which is pretty much tantamount to a free 'remaster':