Red Dead Redemption II

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Red Dead Redemption II

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I just making an unbiased, honest assumption really regards it looking/running better on Xbox One X but that will probably be the case due to the extra grunt - who knows though.

I've heard that the RDR looks very good on the Xbox X now after that patch, I've not put my disc in and taken a look mind could do one evening I suppose. I think I've still got to hunt a few mountain Lions still !!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It really does look amazing. Essentially it's like the PC version that never happened.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 6th, 2018, 8:53 am I imagine RDRII should perform its best on XOX, though hopefully the disparity between the versions won't be as stark as it was last gen, with the 640p PS3 version of RDR being markedly inferior (this was before Rockstar managed pretty much 1:1 with Max Payne 3 and GTAV).

Also, and I've been stressing this everywhere I can, if you want to return to the previous game and you have access to an Xbox One, the version that you now have available really is a tremendous upgrade, especially on X which is pretty much tantamount to a free 'remaster'.
I'm playing through it on XOX at the moment and it is real purty!

In terms of pure pixel count there's a chance the disparity could technically be even bigger for RDR2, certainly between the two premium consoles. PS4 Pro tops out a lot at a native 1440p on more challenging games vs the XOX which often hits full 4K 2160p or somewhere not far off, so that's a full 50% uplift in actual pixel count.

That said, that's worst case scenario and the Pro's checkerboarding process does a good job of faking 4K, plus even an upscaled 1440p will I'm sure still look pretty damn great unlike the shonky PS3 port.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm In terms of pure pixel count there's a chance the disparity could technically be even bigger for RDR2, certainly between the two premium consoles. PS4 Pro tops out a lot at a native 1440p on more challenging games vs the XOX which often hits full 4K 2160p or somewhere not far off, so that's a full 50% uplift in actual pixel count.

That said, that's worst case scenario and the Pro's checkerboarding process does a good job of faking 4K, plus even an upscaled 1440p will I'm sure still look pretty damn great unlike the shonky PS3 port.
Good point.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Friday! I'm taking the opportunity to play through RDR 1 on my XB1 X, looks gorgeous.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm waiting till I pick up a One X. Really can be doing without the jet engine PS4 Pro
Suits

Post by Suits »

I am ready.

I got two days off work as well as the weekend, two vintage rocking chairs for my office and my mate coming to stay for four days.

Starting it Saturday after lunch.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m gutted. I had it preordered at game to collect in store tomorrow (handily opposite my workplace). My car failed it’s MOT and now I have to find 700 pounds.

So not only do I have to miss out on RDR2 but I have to find the remainder from somewhere.

Fifa 09 for £650 anyone I’ll throw in Fifa 10 too because I’m nice.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Simonsloth wrote: October 25th, 2018, 2:02 pm I’m gutted. I had it preordered at game to collect in store tomorrow (handily opposite my workplace). My car failed it’s MOT and now I have to find 700 pounds.

So not only do I have to miss out on RDR2 but I have to find the remainder from somewhere.

Fifa 09 for £650 anyone I’ll throw in Fifa 10 too because I’m nice.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The reviews seem not to mention gameplay very much? I only skimmed it, but Eurogamer seems only to devote a single sentence:
the main missions stick too rigidly to the aging template of heading out to a point while characters chat amongst themselves, and when you get there, too often all you're allowed to do is perform a handful of quick-time events and engage in the inevitable shootout.
The Guardian one intrigues me, but I seem to be approaching these reviews with some suspicion:
this slow-paced, sumptuous, character-driven Old West historical drama, in which you spend probably 60% of your time simply riding around the American wilderness. There’s action too, in the form of shootouts, train robberies and frequent thrilling escapes on horseback, but these flashes of excitement punctuate a game that is largely about just being somewhere; about hunting, fishing and having long conversations on cross-country rides or around a campfire.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: October 26th, 2018, 9:11 am The reviews seem not to mention gameplay very much?
2018 gaming in a nutshell! :P

In all seriousness, I think that with this type of game, what you see is mostly what you get in the gameplay department if the first one is anything to go by. What are they going to write about? "It works"?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I guess what I am looking for now is some indication of how much the gameplay interferes with my Western Walking Simulator. :P

Edit: The Guardian one above actually states that, 60% faffing around, 40% action. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Considering the almost universally high review scores, I've seen a fair amount of negative chatter so far.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: October 26th, 2018, 9:36 am Edit: The Guardian one above actually states that, 60% faffing around, 40% action. :)
Sounds legit.

PS: I'm being sardonic here (perhaps unduly so), but that's really par for the course with these games. In all the pre-release hype surrounding RDR2, I've heard surprisingly little concerning the gameplay side of things. Set your expectations around it playing more or less like the first one but with a more authentic world / elaborate presentation, and you should be on the right track. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What I enjoy most about these types of games is the ‘being somewhere’, so I’m very ok with this.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I was going to hold off on getting it, but I might be coming round. It's a bank holiday here on Monday as well....I'll have to investigate how much of it is Grand Theft Bronco this time round.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

For those who have played it already: Does it nail the time period and sense of locale like the first one?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Reading a few more impressions and it seems to be the case that it’s tehcnically very accomplished, has a good story and such, but the controls are kinda weird and fiddly.

Which makes it a R* game basically, they’ve never managed to finesse their control systems down to something like a Far Cry or Just Cause. It’s one of their weaknesses.

But if you never had any issues with GTAV in that respect, you’ll be fine.

I’ve still got something around 80 hours or so more of AC Odyssey to play before I even think about tackling another open world game, but I’m sure I will get to this one eventually.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

The sense of place and atmosphere and the music, especially, are first-class. The animation and textures and microscopic lavish details are also unprecedented in an open world game, I think. Along with the very deliberate pacing, it all adds up to something very immersive, a genuine "experience". Coming off the back of thirty hours in the marvellous AC Odyssey, that almost feels like Bayonetta or something, in comparison.

In terms of gameplay, there are a few new details and options and again, the animations help you to feel more connected to the world and environment and other characters but it's largely the same as the first game so far. Move a dot, press trigger. Hold a button to loot or skin, etc. It's not my usual thing at all but I am very much enjoying it and it's helping me to keep an open mind because it's so singular in its approach. I actually really like that it's technically kind of boring! I was dubious, very dubious, about the amount of busywork I'd need to do and the ponderous list of tasks to maintain simply to be able to play the game. I was dubious about the usual Rockstar sluggish movement and press Triangle for a brief cut scene type of interactions. All of these are intact but it has basically bored me into submission (!) and I'm now completely on its wavelength and loving the experience.

Approach with an open mind and I think there's something special here. If I can praise and respect Kamiya or Kojima or Miyazaki or whoever for making somewhat wonky but brilliant games with a singular holistic vision, this absolutely deserves the same for the same reason.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great words Stan.