Red Dead Redemption II

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: Red Dead Redemption II

Post by chase210 »

Man is this is a beautiful alive game. I love it
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well after a nice poker win last night I am on my way to pick it up now :D #willpower
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Huh, OK, well I have £2.50 in my Coral betting account so I'm going to whack it on an acca and hope for the best haha.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Caution: Minor Quibbles below:

I'm kinda the opposite to Stanshall above, in that the minute, but many, bits of busywork are getting me down a little. The whole 'cores' thing is an odd system; I can see how they came by it, but for me personally it's intruding too much. And your horse has cores! You need to pet, groom, feed, administer tonics etc to your horse to keep it in tip top condition. If your horse is dirty, god forbid, his health core depletes at +25%! Or maybe it's his stamina core :|

Add to that the fiddly control scheme mentioned above (to chat to someone while riding, you need to, keep left stick pushed forward and X held down to match pace, then hold L2, then press square or circle to speak). It's a bit awkward.

The movement speed of your character is great to look at, but maybe a wee bit too slow for a game. His walking speed is set to 'mosey' at best; and he can run pell mell. There seems to be a nice speed in between those two, but I can't hit it reliably.

Finally, the consequences for minor infractions seem very harsh. I have been killed in instants after a) a bad weather warning flashed up on screen (though this may have been the game keeping me in-bounds during the extended tutorial), b) I accidentally discharged my weapon into the ground in town and c) when I banged into another horseman on the path.

On the other hand, I have killed a man over a jar of pomade. Feeling pretty bad about that right now.

I am enjoying the game so far; I've finally had a chance to explore the map a little and it is great. Very early to say but it seems the world-building is excellent. It seems like the gang life is much edgier this time around, with the potential for you to be party to some very nasty deeds, which will give it an interesting dynamic.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

FYI you can select FPS Standard as a control scheme and you can toggle run with L3; this has the unfortunate effect of mapping Crouch to A/X but it is something.

(and you will spend the whole game after it pressing the old buttons).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Stanshall wrote: October 26th, 2018, 11:24 am and I'm now completely on its wavelength and loving the experience.
I think this is the first time a Rockstar game has felt alien to me by feeling too real, weirdly. This sentence from stan is exactly what I need to do to be 100% in tune with it.

Go with the flow, savour it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

How are people enjoying the combat? I feel like I’m controlling a Dalek, or a shopping trolley with a wonky wheel.
Stoootube

Post by Stoootube »

Seeing as there’s no sign of a PC port, I picked up an Xbone X today with this game.
First of all, the console is so compact and quiet compared to my blue Forza Edition Xbone. It’s quite lovely!

I’ve only had a quick play of the first chapter, but it’s stunning! The deformable snow and the lighting effects are amazing.

I don’t mind how Arthur controls, after all I completed GTA4 back in the day. This is way better than that! Still early days, but I’m looking forward to getting a good session this weekend and sinking my teeth into the story.

Two discs to install and an update though, eh?!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Chopper wrote: October 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm How are people enjoying the combat? I feel like I’m controlling a Dalek, or a shopping trolley with a wonky wheel.
The combat seems alright to me, it's the finer movements and actions which are getting me frustrated. Especially when you go to stow a skinned animal but accidentally do something else instead. The context sensitive actions don't have much window for action.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I was pretty tired when I sat down to play last night, and it just felt like I was constantly wrestling with the controls and in and out of endless menus. Hopefully I get to grips with it soon. I have a feeling I'll be ignoring as much of that side - swapping weapons, outfits, food and tonics - as possible.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah I feel RDR2 is a game about playing how it suits you rather than you trying to engage with every little thing in the world. There's so much going on I found myself wondering if i'm ever going to enjoy the game "properly" but found that I needed to carve out my own playstyle (missions, hunting and general fun open world times) to enjoy the vast world they've built.

Should i fancy personalising my gun, changing my outfit (although you will need to if it changes weather) and all these other bits and bobs then I will do so as and when.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've just come off the back of a binge of playing this for about 40 hours since it released. So I understand I may still be a bit shell shocked by it all.

Overall, personally, I think it's OK.

As a video game, it's very good, looks brilliant and has some wonderfully written pieces. Another achievement in video games.

Not quite my cup of tea though I feel.

It's too slow for me. I get it, its purposely slow. Once you get use to that side and appreciate it for the atmosphere and tone it creates - I still find it too slow.

It was brave opening the way it does, I'm not sure I'd have so much patience with something as slow as this if it wasn't so revered.

Its rare humour is a welcome break to an other wise pretty crippling somber game, it relentless.

75% of the item, weapons and mechanics surrounding that I find pointless and have minimal consequence if you choose to ignore them or pay them little attention. Fanning the flames of this, is the fact that the controls and menu navigation feel awkward and clunky - too many times, I've shot the floor by mistake then suddenly got the entire town/City after me and the simplest thing to do is just die by their hand and re-load.

R* made a game based entirely around the main story line, I never realised how much I appreciated the other side quests they do but this is almost literally, finish mission, start mission. There are other things to do like the whole missions but they seem a little flat. I wonder if this is partly Z:BotW's fault.

I'm at 52% total completion and I've still not opened the entire map, if you try and go outside of your existing map, you just die by what seems to be darts from heaven. What F is that ??!?

I don't dislike it, although it may seem like that, I'm just touching on the things that I'm noticing I wince at each time they appear.

It's a variation on a flavour that I'm not currently enjoying as much as the last. That's cool though, I'm still enjoying eating it, just not sure if I'm going to be able to clear my plate.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm pretty much in agreement with Suits; yesterday I offered to lend it to my brother and he was, "You're finished with it? Already!?"

I'm not finished with it, but it wouldn't have upset me to take a break.

Suits: I got almost as far as Thieves Landing in a mad gallop across the map in the early game before the magical darts got me! Very disappointing, would have loved to have made it :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: October 31st, 2018, 7:19 am Suits: I got almost as far as Thieves Landing in a mad gallop across the map in the early game before the magical darts got me! Very disappointing, would have loved to have made it :)
Yeah, we had a similar plan a little later into the game too - when a camp upgrade offered a different approach towards the area.

However, there was another hidden wall esc mechanic that stops us in our tracks again.

It’s a shame but as it’s such a main line story driven game, I understand the necessity to do so.

I need those damn Dinosaur bones !!!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Anyone got any clues for getting perfect pelts? Is it just headshots?
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: November 1st, 2018, 8:56 pm Anyone got any clues for getting perfect pelts? Is it just headshots?
Study the animal first, it’ll give you clues on how to achieve your perfect pelt.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Cheers mate, i'll be asking quite a few questions as this game is quite the puzzle!
Suits

Post by Suits »

There’s loads of little things.

I only found out yesterday that you can remove the bandoiler that had been wrecking my styles and driving me mad for the last 20 hours.

You just have to continue to scroll down in your clothes in camp.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

So I got to the "end" of RDR2 last night and honestly, I thought it was simply fucking amazing!

Not only did I get seriously choked up at one particular moment that played out (shades of SotC - and that's all I'm gonna say!), with is interesting in itself given that this is a Rockstar game because whilst "humour" has always been a thing I expected from them, genuine emotional impact was not. What I was left with is, without any shadow of a doubt in my mind, that this is the greatest story Rockstar have produced to date.

The story, the world, its cast of characters and the actual performances that brought them to life have really resonated with me and left a deep impression.

For years Rockstar have been rightfully accused of writing shit female characters, but with the likes of Susan Grimshaw, Charlotte, Tilly, Mary-Beth, Karen and Mary Lindon they've finally created a great cast of nuanced, fleshed out characters. But it's Sadie Adler who, with her no-nonsense attitude and sense of humour, almost steals the show from Arthur Morgan by not only being one of the best characters in the game but is right up there, in my opinion, as one of the most memorable Rockstar have created for any of their games.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cool man.

Totally in agreement with the story and the characters.

The characters feel like they’ve been around for decades and are saturated with charm, personality and individuality.

It’s great that games like this exist and resonate with people.

A spin off exploring Charles as a character and story would be a personal pleasure.

I unfortunately lost patience with other aspects of the game, which meant I’ve put it down for now.