Yoku's Island Express

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Yoku's Island Express

Post by dezm0nd »

KissMammal wrote: January 10th, 2019, 8:45 pm Played this just before xmas - liked it, but didn't love it, I played it to completion, but didn't feel at all compelled to 100% it - mainly because of how traversal works in the game.
Yeah thats my main gripe with the game. Finished it last night but in order for me to go for 100% i need to be really in tune with it on every angle.

A good game for sure, just not epic shelf material
Suits

Post by Suits »

To add to the theme here, I never went back to this once I’d finished the main story either. Again, the aggravation travelersal caused at times, even late late game once you have all the power-ups was enough to change the taste on your tongue.

Mind, I very rarely go back to something once I’ve finished it nowadays, the only thing I can think of recently was Captain Toad on the Switch and Wario Land 2 on the GameBoy.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Cant remember the last time i 100%'d a game. Rarely have the time to go that extra mile but good to see Yoku inspiring some people to go for it.

It's pretty much our name here at Cane and rinse so 100%ing a game is fully encouraged by us.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I also saw the credits roll but have never gone back properly. I did try briefly, but I can't really be bothered. I agree with the traversal sentiments. I'm still keeping the game as there is a chance I'll fancy 100%ing it someday but not for the foreseeable. Delightful while it lasts though!

It inspired me to pick up another Metroidvania to see if it's a fluke with this game (it's a genre a usually dislike but the appeal of the concept grabbed me with Yoku), so I've got Axiom Verge ready to start at some point.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I liked Axiom Verge a lot.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Axiom Verge is wicked.

It was a bit obtuse of for me in places too, which was welcome as strange as it sounds. Modern game signposting I find often too blatant so I can’t get annoyed when I struggle to grasp something first time.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I'm a big fan of Metroidvanias, but for some reason Axiom Verge didn't click with me.

For an entry-level Metroidvania you really can't go far wrong with either of the Steamworld Dig games. They are the gaming equivalent of comfort food for me (and are relatively easy to 100%).
Suits

Post by Suits »

KissMammal wrote: January 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm For an entry-level Metroidvania you really can't go far wrong with either of the Steamworld Dig games. They are the gaming equivalent of comfort food for me (and are relatively easy to 100%).
Yeah, wow, SWD2 was brilliant I thought.

I enjoyed the first one but the second one was better in a number of ways that I always recoemnd the 2nd one first.

That overworld/town music is soooooooo dope.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: January 11th, 2019, 5:31 pm
KissMammal wrote: January 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm For an entry-level Metroidvania you really can't go far wrong with either of the Steamworld Dig games. They are the gaming equivalent of comfort food for me (and are relatively easy to 100%).
Yeah, wow, SWD2 was brilliant I thought.

I enjoyed the first one but the second one was better in a number of ways that I always recoemnd the 2nd one first.

That overworld/town music is soooooooo dope.
Aaarrrrggghhhh... Now I kinda want Steamworld Dig 2 even though I haven't touched Axiom Verge yet :roll:
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It's often on sale, so if you're patient it can easily be had for cheap!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

SWD2 is cheap on xbox one at the moment i think