Hollow Knight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
James

Re: Hollow Knight

Post by James » July 15th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Thanks! I managed to persevere and got through it earlier today. No videos needed, but I did switch to the Hiveblood charm which felt like cheating, but also very necessary (for me).

Since then, I exchanged the Kingsoul, and got most of the way through the Grimm Troupe questline. Not much left to do now; just the last Grimm fight, the last Colosseum Trial, and the last area, I think. Piece of cake! :shock:

NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic » July 15th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Nice! As for Hiveblood, they put it in the game so I don't think it's cheating. If I'd had it at the time I would've used it haha. I think I used the Joni's blessing and the one that gives you 3 extra blue health and the upgraded version of the fragile health charm to just tank my way through the final section. The part where you had to time falls through the 3 rows of closing spears almost made me cry. Not too bad after that point.

NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic » July 20th, 2018, 10:36 am

I must have gotten really lucky on my initial PC run of Hollow Knight because I'm really struggling with the Radiance boss battle on Switch. I was going for completion which I think even without beating the Radiance I have 105% completion from doing the dlc bosses. I think I beat the Radiance in less than 10 attempts on PC. I'm on attempt like 30 something on Switch. It doesn't help that when Hornet restrains the Hollow Knight so you can use the Dream nail it sounds like she's shouting "Git Gud!"

I'm trying!

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » July 24th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Amazing game. one of the best games I've played and certainly the best value game I've played. I've never played a true "metroidvania" game before and this was a real eye-opener for me.
It reminded me a lot of Dark Souls in terms of the atmosphere, the challenge, the lore component and the soul/geo recovery mechanic. One of the end-game bosses also felt a lot like Ser Artorias.
It's not many games that make me feel like taking on bonus bosses,but I had to with this game. The White Palace is a big jump in difficulty from anything else in the game and the true final boss is similarly more difficult than anything else. I came close to giving up on both of them, but with enough practice finally beat it this morning. Great feeling. Now I just need to watch some lore videos to try and work out what on earth was going on!
Can't believe this only cost £11. Amazing.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » July 24th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Ha ha! Hornet's "git gud" must be intentional, shurely???

NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic » July 24th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Nupraptor wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 4:36 pm
Ha ha! Hornet's "git gud" must be intentional, shurely???
I has to be lol was really staring to get to me after awhile.