Virtual Reality

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Virtual Reality

Post by James »

First taste of Beat Saber tonight. Given my usual rhythm-action abilities, I was expecting to find the game difficult even on Easy, and I wasn't wrong. Though, in this case I think the fact that I had to play seated, and closer to the camera than the game would like was causing some of the issue.

The PS4 camera cable extension I've now ordered should allow me to move the play area to a more spacious part of the room. Then I will have no one to blame but myself! ;-)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Can you set the overall difficulty to easy, or does the game do that stage by stage for you? I couldn't find a setting, some stages appear to be easy, some medium/normal.
James wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 10:18 pm Though, in this case I think the fact that I had to play seated, and closer to the camera than the game would like was causing some of the issue.
How did you duck under the blocks? :D

This ducking is giving me difficulty, I have to get right down to knee-level. I have adjusted my height upwards to 2.27m to try and give my knee-distance-from-ground another couple of inches. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Smyths have a deal on for the PSVR Aim controller and Firewall for £49.99

Firewall is cool but I want to play Farpoint which is £12 in CEX.

Still this seems to be the cheapest way to get a Aim Controller.

The tempt is strong.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I would say an Aim controller is essential for Farpoint. I don't have one, and had to hold the DS4 up to my eye (as if I was aiming through it) for the whole game :D

Whether Farpoint is worth the investment, I couldn't say. ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hmmmmm, cool.

I still think I’d like to try it, from what I’ve seen it looks like something I’d want to try for myself - certainly only with the Aim Controller mind.
James

Post by James »

Chopper wrote: December 4th, 2018, 11:11 am Can you set the overall difficulty to easy, or does the game do that stage by stage for you? I couldn't find a setting, some stages appear to be easy, some medium/normal.
I haven't checked Free Play yet, but in the Campaign mode the difficulty does seem to be fixed for each level. I'm hoping it's possible to change difficulty on each song in Free Play, because I'll need to ramp up slowly to get anywhere near Expert, I imagine. :oops:
James

Post by James »

Chopper wrote: December 4th, 2018, 11:11 am How did you duck under the blocks? :D

This ducking is giving me difficulty, I have to get right down to knee-level. I have adjusted my height upwards to 2.27m to try and give my knee-distance-from-ground another couple of inches. :)
Leaning forward did the trick when seated.

Cable extension arrived today, and I just had my first 'proper' session. My arms are knackered!

As for ducking, I sunk into a squat to get under the blocks. Thankfully, it didn't feel as onerous as it sounds like it is for you, Chopper. I have my floor adjustment set to my height and it's generally working pretty well.

Did I mention that my arms are destroyed? :twisted:
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Suits wrote: December 4th, 2018, 11:50 am Smyths have a deal on for the PSVR Aim controller and Firewall for £49.99
The wife has bought me this exact pack for Christmas. I can't wait to give it a go, I've heard nothing but good things about Firewall.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Pitwar wrote: December 6th, 2018, 2:59 pm The wife has bought me this exact pack for Christmas. I can't wait to give it a go, I've heard nothing but good things about Firewall.
Yeah, I’ve heard it’s pretty smart too.

I’m going to try and pick it up this weekend I think.
Yacobg42

Post by Yacobg42 »

It's me, the Beat Saber god, come to check in on everyone (I have probably played 100 hours of the PC version so far)

You're SITTING, James??? I literally never even considered doing that. Regardless, my favorite part of the game is how much better you'll get just over the course of playing. I started and expert seemed like a pipe dream, and now I can ace pretty much any expert song right off the bat. I'm working on stuff like this now

It's my favorite game of the year by a wide margin.
James

Post by James »

I didn't have a choice, sadly. Despite plenty of progress in motion control gaming, it's still a necessary truth that some living rooms don't have enough space to play in effectively.
Now that I have a camera extension cable, though, I'm all set to stand.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Huh, Astro Bot.

It’s tremendous.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So we've currently got my In Laws down to stay from Wales for the Easter holidays.

My wife old man is a bit fo a gamer and last time we were down besides playing a good few Mega Drive games, I introduced him to PSVR - loved it.

I eased him in with PSVR Worlds, the Shark one and the aline mining mech game also. Then I showed him Tetris.

It all blew his mind.

So this visit I'd picked up the aim controller, Farpoint and Superhot VR.

It's been real fun, Farpoint is very good and it never gets old looking at the gun and shooting things.

It can get a bit messy in terms of loosing tracking if you keep passing the headset around and mixing it up mind.

Superhot is OK, although its pretty hard and I didn't have the patience for it really, I played the main game to completion when it came out so new its angle, I just want that impressed by it to be honest - especially to the fact that you need quite a bit of space (Simonsloth did warn me !!) and cracked a shelf with my hand.

Also borrowed Moss off my neighbour so I'm looking forward to sitting down and seeing that in action.

But yeah, Dai loves it :lol: :lol:

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

"They're coming outta the goddamn walls!" :lol:

Nice! I have a bunch of VR games in my backlog, I must make a sustained effort to play them soon.

It's a pity you weren't impressed with Superhot - I think it's the seminal VR game. I do need to go back and give it another go though - I got the trophy for completing it in one sitting (legs were killing me next day) so maybe I don't have the most objective view on it. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone interested in this all in one Oculus they're pimping all over Facebook? Seems quite cool, but I don't know what the standard of the games and stuff you can play on it are. It's still more expensive than PSVR too, it seems like they're aiming it more at people who don't already have consoles or a decent PC I guess.