Shikhondo: Soul Eater

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Shikhondo: Soul Eater

Post by Stanshall »

This is a Korean indie bullet hell shmup with a beautiful art style reminiscent of both Japanese woodblock printing and hand painted landscapes. That's comfortably the most impressive thing about the game but there's enough good gameplay here to make it worth the tenner it currently costs on PSN, and it might be enough for me to double dip when it releases on Switch next Thursday. I'll have to see how successfully it pulls me away from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Mechanically, there's nothing especially new here but it works well. You graze enemy bullets to build up your soul meter and you can then enter Soul Collect mode to boost your score and your damage output. You can then also use a Soul Attack during that mode for a massive shot power up for a short time. It's very much like the superb Danmaku Unlimited 3, in that respect, though it's a little more complex. At the end of each stage, you have the option of an extra life or an extra Soul Attack, of which you have a limited supply.

It also shares with DU3 an interesting, arguably underwhelming, choice with the audio presentation. Your firepower is little more than a pitter patter, with the music and bosses' exclamations sitting much higher in the mix. Explosions are a little more pronounced than in Danmaku, though, so you do feel some sense of destructive feedback. I must say that the ideal for me is something closer to Dodonpachi DaiOuJou, where the music is catchy and pumping and atmospheric, but the bullets and raw firepower take centre stage. It's a significant part of what makes that game feel so overwhelming and makes you feel that you are the one unleashing hell, despite the onslaught of endlessly cascading waves of enemies and bullets. The music in Shikhondo is also pretty standard fayre, one part hair metal, one part Squarepusher offcuts and one part tartrazine synth pop. I do really like the plaintive menu music, though, and would have preferred something more in this vein to complement the Edo yokai aesthetic.

Bosses follow the Psikyo two-stage formula but with a little gruesome twist. They feel pretty well balanced, even on Extreme difficulty, with some slightly unusual patterns and a good mix of bullet speeds, colours and shapes. They're the highlights of the game, partly because of the detailed designs both in terms of the artwork and the bullet patterns, but also because the regular enemies and the actual stages are less interesting. The backgrounds are beautiful, almost to the point of distraction, and the difficulty is pretty manageable so you feel you're doing well, but they are otherwise pretty repetitive. Enemies and bullets seem to recur in subsequent stages more than is standard for this type of game. I might be mistaken but that's my impression so far.

It's not as excessive as I was hoping for (and Lord knows why nobody has ever tried to match the devastating, numbing aggression of DaiOuJou or Ketsui) but it's a fine shmup which belies its doujin status at its best, while not quite reaching the consistency or premium quality of its Cave influences.
KSubzero1000

Re: Shikhondo: Soul Eater

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Great write-up. For that price, I'll probably buy it sooner rather than later. The art style alone looks absolutely fantastic.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thanks. Having put about an hour and a half in today, I'd say it's probably not got enormous longevity but I'm happy to pay a tenner for it because it's basically Samurai Aces, except much prettier and quite a bit more complex.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thanks for that write-up, Stanshall. I'll look into this game, now!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Bought, played a little. One thing that surprised me is that the controls don't seem to be explained anywhere? I think L2/Square is bomb, and R2 is some kind of slow focus beam.... Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Edit: Ah, I see. So you build up your meter by grazing bullets while holding R2, which you can then use as Soul Collect later on.

Edit 2: I've somehow managed to grab myself not one, but two spots in the Hardcore leaderboards Top 10 after dying in the second level. If that's not proof that nobody bought this game, I don't know what is! ^^

Edit 3: Some of the character / boss design is... questionable? I'm not a prude, I understand the different cultural norms and this kind of thing is rarely a complete dealbreaker for me, but I could easily have done without this stuff to be honest. I must be getting soft in my old age.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Fair warning for anyone thinking of getting this on Switch:

There are a couple of serious bugs. First of all, the sticks will sometimes not register diagonal movement. There doesn't seem to be any trigger or way to reproduce this. It's just a bit shit. There's also a few patterns which are broken which don't appear on the PS4 version. They're excessively hard and sometimes impossible. I'd hold off for a patch if you're thinking about getting this on the Switch.

Also, I didn't see your edits 2&3, KSub. I agree that the bare breasts and gory elements are perhaps a bit much. Certainly, it was the only time my wife asked what I was playing. I mumbled something about cultural mores.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: September 9th, 2018, 10:35 am I agree that the bare breasts and gory elements are perhaps a bit much. Certainly, it was the only time my wife asked what I was playing. I mumbled something about cultural mores.
"Honey, are these the same guys behind the naked spider lady you like so much? ...We need to talk about your media consumption habits." :lol:

It's not the end of the world, but I think the game would have been better off without it. Oh, well. Live and learn, I suppose.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I tried the cultural explanation with SNK Heroines as well but even I think that's a pile of shit.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Stanshall wrote: August 30th, 2018, 9:47 am It's not as excessive as I was hoping for (and Lord knows why nobody has ever tried to match the devastating, numbing aggression of DaiOuJou or Ketsui) but it's a fine shmup which belies its doujin status at its best, while not quite reaching the consistency or premium quality of its Cave influences.
That's what I'm getting from watching the videos. I think I'll pass. Too many true greats of the genre that still demand my attention.