Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Post by DomsBeard »

So I thought I would start a thread as a lot of people seem to be picking this up.

I have never really been a fan of the series. I have only ever played and completed 2 and had a little dabble with Origins. The review buzz for Odyssey got me interested and luckily as part of my rental package I got it launch day!.

Played 10 or so hours now and I'm at level 11. I chose Kassandra as I usually find female protagonists better in video games if there is a choice.

So I finished the Wolf quest last night and decided to
Spoiler: show
Kill my ''Dad''
. It was an easy decision for me. Be interested in what happens if you do the opposite.

Has anyone returned to Kefalonia?. I spared
The sick people
and was told there is now a Plague there so I am presuming there is a link. There hasn't been a quest come up though?
Flabyo

Re: Assassins Creed Odyssey

Post by Flabyo »

I did the opposite of both those decisions:

The first:
He gives up his command and ‘disappears’ into the wilderness. His troops all think he’s dead, but because they never found a body some people are still searching for him. A side quest around this pops up later.

He also drops some exposition before he goes, but I won’t say what that is because I suspect the game will give that to you a different way.
The second:
i got chewed out by someone later on for stepping aside when I could’ve saved them, but there hasn’t been anything else yet.
There are a lot of these small branching moments in this game, it’s the first time they’ve done something like this in this series. A lot of them seem to be Telltale style ‘it’ll change how people might react to you, or they’ll bring something up in conversation, but it doesn’t markedly change the plot’. Some of them defintely lead to different side quests opening up. Probably won’t know just how big any of them are until I’m a lot further on though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

With regards to the first one
He tells me he wasn't my father and my mother is still alive
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ah ok.
The way it’s delivered if you let him live made me think that he might not get to say it if you shanked him. It is kinda the central plot point from that point on I guess.

One thing I am realising as I play this is that there’s a definite change in scale going on here compared to earlier in the series.

Prior to Origins they were decently sized games, with a fair bit to do, but they touched about 40 hours for main quest, and the side quests weren’t massive in number. They did have a lot of small ‘task’ quests though, things without much story that were repeated across the map. (From the traditional “climb all the towers” to things like “take over all the guard posts” etc...).

Origins started them down the path of having much more narrative driven side quests with more variety,

With Odyssey it feels like the structure is more like an Elder Scrolls game, or as I described it to a work colleague ‘a more accessible Witcher 3’. There is a LOT of story content that is not the main story, in fact the main story quests are massively outnumbered by them. That’s a change from the formula, and is part of it moving from “open world action game” to “open world RPG”.

So I get why some people don’t like these newest ones, they’re not really the same game anymore. I think I prefer the new direction though, even though it feels like I’m still going to be poking at this one well into next year given the pace I keep finding new substantial quest lines...
Flabyo

Re: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Post by Flabyo »

Ok, a lot further in now, and the choices in earlier quests do start coming home to roost. Not all of them, and not always the ones you’re expecting...