Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by DomsBeard »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 9:31 am
FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 7:21 am I can understand people's frustrations with it a lot of things don't make sense.....
Yep.

They completely screwed up the scenarios. The "2nd Runs" aren't the B scenarios, they're just the A scenarios with a different starting point and remixed puzzles. I would have been perfectly fine with only one canon scenario for each character, as long as they were different enough and didn't outright contradict one another. Claire A + Leon B, ideally. But no. We got Claire A + Leon A instead. Makes zero sense.

The 1998 original has a better conceptualized storytelling structure. If there's one thing I would expect modern games to do properly, it would be storytelling. And that's a shame, because the new cutscenes are absolutely fantastic.
Yeah I have to agree, it did annoy me having to do Plant 43 again in Claire B and that final section felt a bit easier with no
Spoiler: show
Mr X
appearing this time.

Had another 10 goes at 4th survivor and I die in the same spot each time so giving it a break. Caned this game so going to come back and do Claire A and Leon B in a few weeks.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 9:31 am
They completely screwed up the scenarios. The "2nd Runs" aren't the B scenarios, they're just the A scenarios with a different starting point and remixed puzzles. I would have been perfectly fine with only one canon scenario for each character, as long as they were different enough and didn't outright contradict one another. Claire A + Leon B, ideally. But no. We got Claire A + Leon A instead. Makes zero sense.

The 1998 original has a better conceptualized storytelling structure. If there's one thing I would expect modern games to do properly, it would be storytelling. And that's a shame, because the new cutscenes are absolutely fantastic.
I'm guessing that means I can expect to see the exact same cutscenes in Claire A as Claire B and Leon B as Leon A then.

Is there even much point in going for Claire A/Leon B?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 11:01 am I'm guessing that means I can expect to see the exact same cutscenes in Claire A as Claire B and Leon B as Leon A then.
Pretty much.

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 11:01 am Is there even much point in going for Claire A/Leon B?
Not really.
The fence cutscene at the start is slightly different depending on who's on which side, and the final bosses are character-specific (Only Claire fights G4, only Leon fights Super-Tyrant, and G5 only appears during a 2nd Run), but it's basically the same plot / cutscenes otherwise. There are only two sets of puzzles / progression paths, so if you've already played through Leon + Claire 2nd Run, you've pretty much seen and done everything the game has to offer. The only other thing worth mentioning is that each character has one 2nd Run-exclusive handgun.
It's best to not think of these as A/B scenarios, really. 2nd Runs are basically NG+ in this one.
FemalePheromones

That's exactly what I expected. I kind of wish they had scrapped A/B scenarios like they originally said and had just done 1 good single scenario for each character that was actually 2 sides of the same story.

Quick couple of questions.....
There were some differences like in Leon A the first Licker is in the STARS office corridor and in Claire B it's in the West Corridor (Same as the A scenario in the original which was cool) and in Leon A the Tyrant first shows up at the helicopter but in Claire B he first appears in the STARS office corridor. Are these kind of thing specific to Leon/Claire or A/B?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm not 100% sure, actually. I played all four scenarios in short succession and some of the details are kinda blurring together. But I think the differences you mentioned are 1st/2nd Run specific.
FemalePheromones

That's what I thought.

I know what you mean though with the original all 4 scenarios have kind of merged into 1 in my head so I never look back at specific scenarios but rather on the game as a whole.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

So the ideal play-route is Leon A / Claire A then? Just don't wanna waste my time on the "wrong" chapter.

Also, in regards to the continuing arguments about difficulty, I'm not going to invoke the spirit of "git gud", because that's not helpful. But playing on Standard, I only had deaths during G2 and Super Tyrant - and G2 was because I couldn't figure out how to work the trap. I finished with like 100 handgun bullets and a full tank of fire boi.

There's a few tips I'd generally pass on that are true of most RE games...
- Only kill Zimbambos that are in your way or in major transitory areas you'll be passing through constantly.
- You can easily finish the game without killing a single Ouch Doggo or Lickitung. The dogs are really easy to evade by running in diagonals or zig-zags, as their AI works like a missile. Even if they hit you like this, it's just chip damage. For the lickers, if you just walk slowly and take your time, they can't do fuck-all to you. They're also easy to evade when you're running from Big Boi - same technique as the doggos.
- RGB herbs are your friend during boss fights and enemy spam. It's a full health plus a major defensive buff. You should really only need to use one of these for most bosses.
- One shotgun blast almost always make zimbambo head go sploosh. :3!
- The zombies won't pursue you if they don't see or hear you. So if one is facing the wall in a hallway you know you'll never go through again, just walk past leave it to appreciate the textures.

Hope that helps some folks.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Can you do the ol' classic zombie fakeout routine that worked like a charm in the fixed camera Resis? You know what I mean, stand in an area you want them to be in, let them come to you and then dart off, once they're close with their arms stretched out.
FemalePheromones

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:28 pm So the ideal play-route is Leon A / Claire A then? Just don't wanna waste my time on the "wrong" chapter.
I'd say it's still A/B (1st/2nd) because otherwise both will enter the RPD via the front entrance, both will meet Marvin and both will have access to the same areas in the same order. B is different enough to A that it doesn't feel like you are doing exactly the same thing as before. However it seems like you get the same cutscenes whether you do Claire A or B so either way it still won't make complete sense.

Honestly I'd still do A/B just because of the changes in the RPD.
FemalePheromones

Michiel K wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:38 pm Can you do the ol' classic zombie fakeout routine that worked like a charm in the fixed camera Resis? You know what I mean, stand in an area you want them to be in, let them come to you and then dart off, once they're close with their arms stretched out.
You can but the corridors are a lot narrower than the original so you will struggle in most places.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:28 pm So the ideal play-route is Leon A / Claire A then? Just don't wanna waste my time on the "wrong" chapter.
There is no such thing as A and B scenarios in this remake.

Just play the 2nd Run from the opposite character of your first playthrough and you'll see 99% of the game that way.

Michiel K wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:38 pm Can you do the ol' classic zombie fakeout routine that worked like a charm in the fixed camera Resis? You know what I mean, stand in an area you want them to be in, let them come to you and then dart off, once they're close with their arms stretched out.
Kinda, but the AI has a lot more randomized variables, so it doesn't have that same precise arcadey quality. You're better off just stunning them with a quick headshot and running past during their recovery phase.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yes but some of them come at you fast with out stretching arms, this is how I tend to be getting screwed over in 4th survivor :D
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I hope they come out and announce they are doing or have been doing Resi 3 at E3 and it launches January 2020.

Everyone is imagining Nemesis in this engine but I am way more scared of the thought of Hunters running through doors after you :o
FemalePheromones

Wasn't RE3 only about as long as 1 scenario from RE2 though?

Would it actually work on it's own?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 1:50 pm Wasn't RE3 only about as long as 1 scenario from RE2 though?

Would it actually work on it's own?
Actually, RE3 is about as long as RE2's Claire A + Leon B scenarios combined.

It's also much more expansive than a lot of people remember and the RPD is only a very small part of it. I think it could totally work as a standalone remake. They could always flesh out Carlos' segment and Mercenaries if necessary.
FemalePheromones

I do remember the RPD section being really short which I always mention when people say it will be easy to do a remake as they already have half the assets from the RE2 remake. It's really not true.

I haven't played it in a really long time I just have a memory of it being a lot shorter than say REmake or CV.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:02 pm I haven't played it in a really long time I just have a memory of it being a lot shorter than say REmake or CV.
Interesting. This type of thing obviously varies from player to player, but based on my own playthroughs, I would say RE3 is actually longer than REmake. Although that's probably because I always fight Nemesis and have played REmake a lot more times.

Nothing beats CVX, though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Apart from Resi 6...

Worth a look here for comparisons based on user-registered times: https://howlongtobeat.com/

RE3: Nemesis currently showing as 6.5 hours for a simple completion, same as RE1 (1996).

RE2 (2019) is showing as 7.5 but that's early data.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:02 pm I do remember the RPD section being really short which I always mention when people say it will be easy to do a remake as they already have half the assets from the RE2 remake. It's really not true.

I haven't played it in a really long time I just have a memory of it being a lot shorter than say REmake or CV.
I just played RE2 '98 around Halloween, and yeah, the police station area is super short in that one... It's actually expanded in RE2make, and significantly so. But the sewer/factory section is also a lot longer too. REmake and Code Veronica have always been larger games.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:48 pm
FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:02 pm I haven't played it in a really long time I just have a memory of it being a lot shorter than say REmake or CV.
Interesting. This type of thing obviously varies from player to player, but based on my own playthroughs, I would say RE3 is actually longer than REmake. Although that's probably because I always fight Nemesis and have played REmake a lot more times.

Nothing beats CVX, though.
Uh... No. RE3 is super short. It's like 3 hours long. It's more like DLC than a full game. REmake is around 15 hours for a first time player.