Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
FemalePheromones

Re: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by FemalePheromones »

There is no RE6...

As for RE4 all games seem long on first playthrough but I think I remember doing it in under 3 hours. Definitely got to tbe castle in 50 minutes. But that is on NG+ with tons of herbs from previois games as well as the Chicago Typewriter and Infinite Launcher.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

FemalePheromones wrote: January 31st, 2019, 6:28 pm There is no RE6...

As for RE4 all games seem long on first playthrough but I think I remember doing it in under 3 hours. Definitely got to tbe castle in 50 minutes. But that is on NG+ with tons of herbs from previois games as well as the Chicago Typewriter and Infinite Launcher.
THEN WHY DID I SPEND SO MANY HOURS ON THIS: https://caneandrinse.com/resident-evil-6/

RE4 WR is circa 1.5 hours, so yeah. That’s nuts though.
FemalePheromones

I actually enjoyed the RE6 issue. Not really a good game but nice to see the opinion is shared. Still it's the highest selling RE game ever isn't it?

That's fucking mental.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Resident Evil 5 is actually the best selling entry in the series, by a whole 2 million more than 6. 6 has sold almost double what 7 is currently sitting on: (my source: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_se ... pcom_games)
FemalePheromones

Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

I actually played 5 last week for the 2 days that I had nothing to play before RE2 released and I have to say I still love that game. If you ignore the fact that it's a Resident Evil game it's a lot of fun. I actually think the core gameplay is great and the tank controls actually work really well.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

I am pretty close to Leon A, and been running a little comparison by playing the original PS1 title in tandem with this.

I think that they have been very clever in how they have adapted the title to the new viewpoint and adjusted the sense of atmosphere. The soundtrack and foly work are excellent, creating a much more palpable sense of dread in me than the PS1 original. Ammo appears slightly more restrictive, you can really uild up a small fortress in the original titles but here you have to seriously consider how you want to dispose of the enamies. It keeps up a good rythem, you always feel like you are making good progress and eing correctly pushed forwards. The puzzles are not overtly complicated but done in a way that does ask you to think and do a little bit of planning.

But there are two things that I do not like quite as much, I suspect they could be a little bit controversial.

I do not like the Tyrant. Not ecause he is scary, but because he has been introduced for no other reason that I can see than to be a blocker. There were a few of occasions where I simply had to spend 5 minutes running a loop to loose him, which was never fun and became more of an annoyance. This may be because I do not have any anxiety when I see him, it does not instill dread in me. It just appears to be a moveale irritant that you cannot get rid of. I am sure that Capcom intended it this way, and for you to adapt and escape. The prolem is it can be easier to just die at his hands than waste bullets running a loop.

Secondly, boss battles. I do not want to be too spoiler tastic but the second Birkin battle was a pain and an endurance of trial and error. I have always hated boss battles where you have to find and time a specific action because it moves the needle more to experimentation than skill.

But these are minor gripes. The atmosphere of this game is outstanding, and that sound mix is something special. I have really enjoyed Leon A so far, hopefully I will finish it off tonight and start Claire B.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Everyone seems to hate Mr. X but me. ;~;
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

For the record, I don't either. I think some of his scripting could have been fine-tuned a bit, but I'd say he's a net positive overall. He encourages careful planning and routing on replays and is a lot more of a present threat than the snail-paced original who instantly despawns as soon as the player leaves the room.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I really enjoy Mr X despite the obvious anxiety he induces.

Not perfect but i am a fan.
Senorb123

Post by Senorb123 »

I just finished Claire A and found it was way harder than Leon A. She definitely gets injured faster and her weapons while I would take the grenade launcher over the shotgun the rest seemed to go in Leon's favor.

It felt like there was less resources on Claire's campaign as well. I don't know what did you guys think?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Senorb123 wrote: February 1st, 2019, 5:19 pm I just finished Claire A and found it was way harder than Leon A. She definitely gets injured faster and her weapons while I would take the grenade launcher over the shotgun the rest seemed to go in Leon's favor.

It felt like there was less resources on Claire's campaign as well. I don't know what did you guys think?
Can only comment on Claire B but found the latter half of Claire B after the Orphanage very easy and I had plenty of ammo left over.

I also thought the 2nd Birkin fight was a nice throw back to earlier games boss battles (push a button run to x the press button again).

The only fight the annoyed me greatly was in the ''proper'' end with Claire. Just a crap bullet sponge that killed me about 8 times in a row whilst I was emptying my substantial ammunition into it. Seemed to be little skill or reasoning why I eventually beat it.

Also a big fan of Mr X, except for in 4th survivor where he can get in the bin.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

How long is the 4th survivor playthrough?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: February 1st, 2019, 5:53 pm How long is the 4th survivor playthrough?
A little over ten minutes if you know what you're doing.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sub-2 hours boyyyyyyys! :P
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:13 pm
dezm0nd wrote: February 1st, 2019, 5:53 pm How long is the 4th survivor playthrough?
Yeah but if you didnt live in super magical speedrun land and was weighing it up for a regular playthrough...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 7:10 am Yeah but if you didnt live in super magical speedrun land and was weighing it up for a regular playthrough...
A "regular" playthrough of 4th Survivor is very speedrun-esque, considering how limited your ammunition and healing items are. The whole point is to learn how to navigate each area as efficiently as possible. You won't have the option to just sit back and kill every enemy you encounter from a safe distance.

I'd say 15-20 minutes when playing really safe but still getting to the end.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

dezm0nd wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 7:10 am
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:13 pm
Yeah but if you didnt live in super magical speedrun land and was weighing it up for a regular playthrough...
It is in essence a speed run anyway, you only use weapons if you need to. If you take it slow you will be out of ammo by the time you are a third of the way through.

I am going to watch a run through of it on YouTube as try as I might I cannot get over the line. I die in the same spot each time and I want to have a go as Tofu! :D
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm Sub-2 hours boyyyyyyys! :P
Let me know when you are sub-zero.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Oh, so it really is quite brief then. I might have to check it out. Cheers for the replies.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

This game is making me realise how much I love this series over all. This feels like such a celebration of the first 4 games in the series, not just 2. It's using some of the most memorable and effective ideas through out those titles and simply uses 2 as the venue.

I was talking to James before the Hitman series about how much 6 kind of feels like a blip now. The series is in such a good place now.