The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

I watched the Giant Bomb lets play demo with the Nintendo reps on YouTube this morning with my wife. It's a pretty good video with most of the games demoed and the full package showed off in terms how it's presented and played.

While I'm open to the idea of the title I don't really see it as a game, more of a party piece, the wife, genuinely likes the idea of it. Calling it her sort of game with her friends.

It's been detailed as having 28 mini games now, I can remember it being a vague previously about how much was in there but it's 28.

I'll end up getting it I think and more than likely play it once. It's floating around the £32 from what I have see, which still seems a little expensive.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd like this to be more appealing than it is (and cheaper) because I think it could be a great way to get my non-gaming friends to have a go, before I hook them properly with Mario Kart, etc. Its just looks far too basic, though. Wario Smooth Moves was unbelievably good for this on the Wii because it was frantic, funny, and relentless. This seems to have a lot of waiting round and very little actual gameplay. I'll pick it up if I see it for a tenner late in the year, I think.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Lack of backwards compatibility (both for Wii U games and of previous e-shop purchases) is my deal breaker for the Switch, at least for several years. Everyone is completely correct about this being a business decision, but it doesn't seem like a great one to me. Their competitors have bigger libraries, are more powerful and are cheaper. And they are both much more consumer friendly in terms of digital purchases. I think Nintendo has to do more to make a compelling case for why people should buy the Switch (especially with how the Wii U turned out). People on video game forums are obviously going to get it regardless. But considering that they are reselling games that are 20-30 years old, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that those purchases carry over to the next generation.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

just something that i noticed about the video, how much do you think nintendo has thought about who they put on these videos? because to me it looks as though they have chosen very well for the giant bomb audience at least what i think is the giant bomb audience. i'd say giant bomb is big enough for them to have sent reggie but they chose not to and i'm sure the video is better for it. a man and a woman, both pretty young and for the most part relaxed and fun. i'm sure some thought has gone behind it but i would really like to know how much they thought of who to put out there and showcase this and how they match the audience that is going to see it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've felt that they've got their marketing tonally spot on with the Switch. Did you ever see the Wii U ads? They're not far off Haribo, without the suspicion that someone somewhere is taking the piss.

This Smash Bros one is unimaginable.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...What on earth did I just watch? You have some explaining to do, Stanshall.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've just watched it again. In the first minute, there are about a dozen moments which you can't really process. The whole internal monologue is remarkable, "I'm gonna get one of them!", but the Mario eyes and that ping are probably the highlight of the scene. Obviously, it then just goes further and further beyond what I can comprehend, never mind explain. I can only apologise.

Oh, check out ALL the others, by the way. The Yoshi's Wooly World one made me no longer afraid of death. It's a comfort to know that one day, that memory won't be stored anywhere in my physical body.

It builds to some of the shittest lines in any advert ever.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Stanshall wrote:I've just watched it again. In the first minute, there are about a dozen moments which you can't really process. The whole internal monologue is remarkable, "I'm gonna get one of them!", but the Mario eyes and that ping are probably the highlight of the scene. Obviously, it then just goes further and further beyond what I can comprehend, never mind explain. I can only apologise.

Oh, check out ALL the others, by the way. The Yoshi's Wooly World one made me no longer afraid of death. It's a comfort to know that one day, that memory won't be stored anywhere in my physical body.

It builds to some of the shittest lines in any advert ever.
Maybe I'm a bit out of touch with the modern world, but it seems to me that there still seems to be a bit of a condescending attitude towards gaming?

Don't get me wrong: I love being spoken down, thoroughly enjoy it, but I imagine that even as a child, I would find this kind of advertising insulting!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Man I loved YWW.

The advert we had in the UK wasn't like that - I don't think.

Although I can't find it on YT.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yep, the UK ads were very mild in comparison. I would love to just keep posting these because they're all so gloriously bad, as bad as any game ads I've seen in my life, but I won't for fear of taking over the thread. I must just share one more, though. The MK8 one is an absolute belter, with the marvellous subtext that local multiplayer has repaired this dysfunctional, broken family. Again, the penultimate line is unforgettably good.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Stanshall wrote:Yep, the UK ads were very mild in comparison. I would love to just keep posting these because they're all so gloriously bad, as bad as any game ads I've seen in my life, but I won't for fear of taking over the thread. I must just share one more, though. The MK8 one is an absolute belter, with the marvellous subtext that local multiplayer has repaired this dysfunctional, broken family. Again, the penultimate line is unforgettably good.

Please... do keep these videos coming. I love that you've projected a narrative onto this dysfunctional family. My interpretation for the issues the parents faced was infidelity? The kids are clearly clueless, and I maybe it was the husband, but then again I think maybe the mother? Thoughts? :ugeek:
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

so let me get this straight, you make games that are good for everyone, deep but still accessible and then you market them for idiots? at least that is what the commercial makes all the people buying them look like....
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

We've come a long way since the days of:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It really shows how much they've improved things with the Switch, though, which is reassuring. I'm glad these Wii U ads exist, though, they're unique.

Edit: That SNES ad is quality. Haha. I would have loved that as a kid.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Two different pieces of information about the Switch that appear to have seeped out today.

One from Nintendo, one from Engadget.

Firstly, Engadget say that the performance of BotW on the Switch is better than the previously demo'd versions played by the public and press. Which may well appease any performance or quality worries by early adopters.
Notably, it also performed a lot better than it did at preview events, where I noticed stuttering and occasional slowdown while it was connected to the dock.
Secondly and rather sadly, Nintendo have confirmed that there will be no Virtual Console upon release.

Even less games to play on launch day it seems :? .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also, Fast RMX and new Shovel Knight at launch. I'm a little bit gutted about the VC but happy with those two.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote:Also, Fast RMX and new Shovel Knight at launch. I'm a little bit gutted about the VC but happy with those two.
Yeah that is a positive but I was already counting them as release titles anyway.

I've got a mate coming down to stay for the week, for the Switch release but I fear we'll be using the SNES more than I hoped.

Still got BotW though :twisted: .
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some sites are reporting that the left controller is having sync issues, but that a day one system update should fix it.

Nintendo better hope it does, a recall would be catastrophic :(
Suits

Post by Suits »

Got more than a whiff of "Rush to market" about it perhaps.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Quite odd if there is a sync issue given how many people have demoed the console at various events and there hasn't been any previous mention. Really odd.