The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

No screen protector here either.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Same here. No issues. I do have one but I've always found fitting them too stressful and unsatisfying. I know there'll be some bubble or speck of dust which will ruin my enjoyment forever. I'd rather take my chances.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

You mentalheads! I can't go bareback. It's just not right...
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve never been one for cases or screen protectors, I see them as an opportunistic way to make money based on an exaggerated fear of damage.

I’ve never put a case on any of my iPhones since I started using them back in the 3GS days.

Companies spend millions on R&D to deliver a sleek, clear, uniform device, than 3rd parties try to convince customers to buy something else to wrap it in.

Of course, this is just my opinion and perhaps it’s a foolish one but looking at the reality my devices just don’t get damaged enough to the point I need to do something about it and dilute the devices design functionality.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’ve never applied a screen protector to any device either, despite often being given freebies with the console in question.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm literally the opposite. Screen protectors on all my devices, tempered glass on my iPhone & a nice sleek case to protect from the numerous times it gets dropped. Benefit is I keep my stuff nice and if I sell, I get to say "mint" rather than "passable". I'm also fairly obsessive with my stuff (and in general) so that factors in.

Fair play to you guys, you're obviously more relaxed than me! I'd take a leaf out of your books if I could. I'm actually hoping fatherhood will see to that, maybe the day after the bairn first snaps my Oakley sunglasses or some other horrid stuff-ending nightmare no doubt heading my way.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I went from screen protectors to ditching them, partly because products are designed to be rough and tumble, and partly because I know from around the 2 year mark, whatever iPhone I have, the battery will start expanding, and I'd have to replace it anyway.

So yeah, rough and tumble design that eventually fails. Best of both worlds! ;)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

New Switch update in the last few hours.

Video capture for first party games, and I assume third party will follow when patched. Reasoning is that MK8D only captures following a software update.

Transfer saves to another Switch. Not cloud saves, no, but one extra level of safety net, I suppose. If you damage your Switch and need to replace it, you can still transfer your saves (unless it's completely kaput, I guess). Or, probably more useful, if Switch owner parents/partners get their kid/partner a Switch for Chrimbo, they can transfer the save/user profile over.

A paltry number of new icons.

"Pre-purchase" and pre-load games. I don't see that option in the eShop yet, but I'm sitting on my Japanese credit waiting for Odyssey. Can't be doing with the midnight thing, I normally go to bed at 9, I want it at 4pm.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's an Animal Crossing Mobile Direct coming on the 25th October, 7am UK time.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 4:04 pm There's an Animal Crossing Mobile Direct coming on the 25th October, 7am UK time.
For a second, I didn’t see the mobile bit and got a pretty excited.

Playing Stardew Valley has really got me wondering about a full fat Animal Crossing on the Switch.
SnakeyDave

Post by SnakeyDave »

Save transfer on switch is happening at just the right time for me. I borrowed my friend's switch after he was done with Zelda. I'll be getting one soon-ish for Mario. Nice to know I'll be able to transfer my Zelda and Puyo Tetris saves over.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I do not own a Switch... yet... but the news of Shin Megami Tensei V is making it awfully tempting, especially as it will quite possibly be an exclusive.
Suits

Post by Suits »

This new GameCube controller support for the Switch is good.

Ominous how it only supports GameCube controllers too and not other USB attached pads via the Wii U adapter.

Not sure how it will work un-docked mind, which is almost a must for me personally but interesting none the less.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -to-switch
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Everything GameCube is a win in my book.

The only question I have is: What is it going to be used for? All signs are pointing towards NGC Virtual Console being added in the future, so that'd be a safe bet.

PS: Also, props to the author for correctly labeling it "the best controller ever made". :P
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Spooky Halloween sale on the eShop:

Count Lucanor
Don't Knock Twice
Astro Bears Party
The Bridge
Vaccine

Chilling reductions!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Animal Crossing Pocket Camp coming late November on iOS and Google play.

Tom Nook wants your bells.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've not seen the Direct, was there any sort of hint at anything more to come from the Franchise, like a Switch version ??
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Here's the UK version of the video.

It's exactly what I was expecting. Of all the Nintendo IP, this is the one that lends itself most to what is now a very standard well trodden model for mobile 'city builders'.

And no, the direct was purely about this one title.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Anyone got Sine Mora EX? Any good?

I'm looking for another Switch game to bolster Mario Odyssey, Mario & Rabbids for my Christmas bundle. Really stumped to be honest, not much else is jumping out but I do like a scrolling shooter.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Presumably you've played Zelda and MK8D?

Sine Mora is a good side scroller, very pretty, good music, quite tight and replayable levels, some excellent bosses, quite imaginative. I've enjoyed it and put possibly ten hours in now. I'd say good for fans of the genre, albeit a little pricey.

In terms of stuff to bolster the library, I've got about sixty games (predominantly Neo Geo and indies) and I'd rank the library something like this:

Gods

Odyssey
BotW
MK8D
Isaac (personal taste)

Top Banana

Splatoon 2
ARMS
Rayman Legends
FIFA 18
USF2 (online is virtually dead, though)

Great Mates

Mario & Rabbids
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Shovel Knight
Super Bomberman R (for multiplayer)
Thumper (psychedelic intense rhythm game)
Deemo (rhythm game, piano based, pretty)
Picross S
Slime-san (Meat Boy style platformer)
Sine Mora
Butcher (2D pixelated Doom)
Cave Story+ (expensive but great)
Sonic Mania

Worthwhile, YMMV

Golf Story (charming, quite funny, simple relaxing gameplay, may be move up a tier when I finish it)
Neuro Voider (twin stick, retro, loot upgrades)
Snipperclips (original concept, only fun in co-op)
Mr. Shifty (Hotline Miami meets Blink from Dishonored)
Gonner (quirky roguelike shooter, has character, hard)
Bulb Boy (spooky point-and-click, will be short)
Graceful Explosion Machine (high score chasing shmup, elegant mechanics but repetitive)
Axiom Verge (very good first two hours of Metroidvania, likely deserves higher than this tier)
Shantae (fun, challenging platformer based around the theme of tits)
Blaster Master Zero (NES style platform shmup fun, surprisingly varied)
Voez (beautiful rhythm game with mostly shitty J-pop tunes, some belters redeem it)
Forma.8 (Metroidvania, you control a kind of metal ball, sounds shit but very atmospheric)
Blazing Star (Neo Geo shmup, belter)
Garou: MOTW (NG beat em up, great)
Strikers 1945 (vertical scrolling shmup, remake, good but not great)

Would Refund

Fast RMX (looks good, very fast, feels limited)
Oxenfree (I hate all the characters)
Flip Wars (decent in local multiplayer)
Koi (a rip off of Flow, mobile game tier)
Wonder Boy (looks gorgeous but gameplay is very dated and limited, to my tastes)
NBA Playgrounds (even shite with friends)
Severed (I don't understand the praise for this, hard to play on Switch with one hand, probably better on 3DS)
Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Mega Man/Metroidvania type of thing, decent but not as good as Blaster Master or Shantae, or Cave Story, for that matter)
Earth Atlantis (interesting concept, 'free roaming' shmup hunting bosses to unlock the map, not as fun as it sounds, unusual visuals quickly become drab)
Kamiko (cheap rip-off of HLD)
1-2-Switch (fun at a party if the moment is right, I've had two great fun nights filled with laughter, didn't justify the cost of this tech demo)
Minecraft (it's Minecraft, my first experience of Minecraft, I love the peaceful atmosphere but I just don't have the motivation to really get into it)
Tumble Seed (an interesting game and much more accessible now it's patched, beautiful presentation, just...not...really...fun)
Lego City Undercover (humorous writing, very limited gameplay, runs poorly)
I Am Setsuna (a very dull JRPG with repetitive visuals and music)

No Conclusion, Limited Playtime

Count Lucanor (intriguing start, very creepy but not enough time to assess)
Flame in the Flood (beautiful presentation and music, survival game, probably not my thing)
Kingdom New Lands (I like this beautifully presented tactical base builder/resource management kind of thing but it's a mobile game really and quite buggy)
Jydge (an exact cross between Mr. Shifty and Neuro Voider, probably therefore better than both)
Thimbleweed Park (enjoyable point and click, Ron Gilbert's all over it)
Steamworld Dig 2 (charming presentation, Spelunky platforming plus loot upgrades)

Well, I've been pondering tiers for a while now so I've done myself a favour. Time to delete some stuff I'll probably never play again.