The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Xantiriad

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by Xantiriad »

I can answer that. Funky Barn is a 3DS port on the Wii U and the tablet acts like a touch pad to move stuff around on the TV.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

That makes perfect sense, I just feel the more sensitive touch screen games might not work well unless they have Okami style pausing worked into them. By default can we rule out single player games where you're expected to be actively doing accurate touch screen actions or do you think some games could work this in by forcing you to play purely on the tablet for segments of games and even then with multiple screen segments can that action be faithfully represented for those that choose to purely play on the tablet (for example picture in picture when switching to tablet only mode)?
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Basically anything you can do on a DS or 3DS works on the Wii U. It is essentially the same use case.

In fact Wii U goes one step further in that it can consolidate down to one screen either on the GamePad or TV/GamePad with the Pro Controller.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Here's the schedule for the VC Trial thingy

Release Schedule

Balloon Fight (NES): Now – February 21
F-Zero (SNES): February 20 – March 21
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (NES): March 20 – April 18
Kirby’s Adventure (NES): April 17 – May 16
Super Metroid (SNES): May 15 – June 13
Yoshi (NES): June 12 – July 11
Donkey Kong (NES): July 15 – August 13

30p each and who really cares if Balloon Fight/Any of those games are in 50hz? Do you think Nintendo will learn anything from their trial of adopting an iOS style pricing system?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks for the schedule dezzo.

I do care about the 50Hz thing tbh. The games simply aren't as good 16.7% slower. Plus you can't legitimately compare scores and times with NTSC friends.
I understand why it is the case, but it's still a pity. Ah well, I can always play them emulated at full speed.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I guess it is a problem, yeah but the games are so old now that I can barely give a hoot about it. I suppose it's all relative to the types of games you enjoy. If Goldeneye 007 ever gets the VC treatment (never) i'll probably go mental as my NTSC-U version is technically better.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

I am with dez on this one, this is a nostalgia trip and not something I would plan on using to compare scores or be that bothered by a slight slow down.

Nintendo need this though, the release schedule is awful right now for the Wii U and with nothing to really pin a hat on that resonates on a broad basis they are struggling I feel. And while monster hunter is good that will not spike sales at all.

It is like the 3DS all over again.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

16.7% is not slight though. I don't give a shit whether a game is old or new, I want to play it in its proper form. I understand why a lot of people wouldn't care either way, but I'm as passionate about these games as I am about this week's latest title, and imagine the fuss these days if we got a 17% inferior version of (say) Dead Space 3 or Metal Gear Rising.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It's amazing how awful we used to be treated back in the day, are the Japanese Wii U's getting the 60 versions?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes of course, as is the US. It's the same situation as with the Wii's VC.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

That's awful
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

ratsoalbion wrote:16.7% is not slight though. I don't give a shit whether a game is old or new, I want to play it in its proper form. I understand why a lot of people wouldn't care either way, but I'm as passionate about these games as I am about this week's latest title, and imagine the fuss these days if we got a 17% inferior version of (say) Dead Space 3 or Metal Gear Rising.
Fair enough, certainly for me it was never something that bothered me in the games I played. If these are just pennies I may grab them and do what I always do and never actually get round to starting them.
James

Post by James »

It transpires that I'm 17.9% slower than the average gamer, so at least by playing the PAL versions I mitigate against all but 1.2% of my deficiencies.
;-)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Was just about to come link that for ya. It'll be interesting to see if I feel any difference in the gameplay but seeing as though I've not played SNES F-Zero in ages, I probably won't.

Still, this is good news for everyone and the fact Nintendo are listening is quite surprising.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

They must read this forum, it's the only plausible explanation.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

This is the hive of ALL Nintendo outrage. It makes perfect sense!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I might sound like a bit of a hypocrite but I am enjoying this F-Zero more than I thought I would and I'm wondering if it's down to the 60hz? Usually when I play F-Zero (and the GBA one) I just race around a bit and turn it off but here, i'm actually excited about playing it!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That 20% (I've been corrected by maths-whizz James) makes a huge difference to arcade style games, particularly racers. People only don't care because they were blissfully unaware through much of the 80's and 90's.

Again I say, imagine the uproar if Metal Gear Rising came out tomorrow and we got a 20% slower game. Consider how much crappier would it be!
Just because these Virtual Console games are old does not mean that they should be treated like shit - that goes against everything that C&R stands for.

NB: Of course the GBA F-Zeros were the same speed whichever region cart or handheld you played them on.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Is latency a problem at 50Hz? I don't have a clue about the tech side of things but Balloon Fight felt way less responsive on my WiiU than my 3DS, and I ended up finding it a bit harder despite having more time to react.

Also, anybody try out the Monster Hunter demo yet? My internet is being a dick.