The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits » January 26th, 2019, 7:34 am

Huh, interesting stuff Sean - thanks for sharing.

Trilogy done and ready to go, according to GI 🤔.

Waking up this morning and reading Twitter has been enjoyable with all the tid bits.

It’s facinating to see the general compassion for the situation, as opposed to the sh*t storm other developers/publishers would have gotten.

I’m sure more background info will come to light as time passes.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » January 26th, 2019, 7:49 am

Suits wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 7:34 am
Huh, interesting stuff Sean - thanks for sharing.

Trilogy done and ready to go, according to GI 🤔.

Waking up this morning and reading Twitter has been enjoyable with all the tid bits.

It’s facinating to see the general compassion for the situation, as opposed to the sh*t storm other developers/publishers would have gotten.

I’m sure more background info will come to light as time passes.
Seriously, we live in a world where people were getting death threats of FF15 getting delayed a few days and for lingerie DLC for a 13 year old character being removed from Xenoblade X...

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 26th, 2019, 8:44 am

Suits wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 12:59 pm
What I'd like to know is why the Wii HDMI adapter costs around £6, meanwhile the nearest figure I can find about this new GameCube one hovers around $150...
So, the GCHD uses the digital out port that the first generation of GameCube had and was never used. Remember - Digital.

The digital signal is then put out to HDMI and will display nice and crisply on a modern panel.

The Wii2HD device will simply take the analogue signal the Wii puts out and squeeze it through a process to turn it into a digital signal.
I ended up getting that cheap Wii HDMI converter. Avoid!

It did make the visuals sharper, but I ended up with these horrible diagonal scan line type things scrolling on the screen, very faint but very off putting. Annoyingly, if I set the Wii to 576i, they vanish, but the graphics are awfully jaggedy.

I tried to send it back to Amazon, only to be greeted with 'this item is not eligible for return'. WTF? We'll see about that!

Suits

Post by Suits » January 26th, 2019, 9:01 am

Alex79uk wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 8:44 am
I ended up getting that cheap Wii HDMI converter. Avoid!

It did make the visuals sharper, but I ended up with these horrible diagonal scan line type things scrolling on the screen, very faint but very off putting. Annoyingly, if I set the Wii to 576i, they vanish, but the graphics are awfully jaggedy.
Yes, that pretty much sums up a lot of the reviews I’ve heard of that piece of kit. Sadly.

Sometimes you just have to try things for yourself though.

Those rolling scan lines sound like poor shielding interference.

Hence the positive buzz around the GDHC and it’s rather high price.

chase210

Post by chase210 » January 26th, 2019, 9:07 am

Assuming Nintendo are sitting on MPT (and I think they are considering they frequently sit on finished games) I wonder what they’ve done with prime 3 specially and the amount of motion controls in that one.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » January 26th, 2019, 9:11 am

chase210 wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 9:07 am
Assuming Nintendo are sitting on MPT (and I think they are considering they frequently sit on finished games) I wonder what they’ve done with prime 3 specially and the amount of motion controls in that one.
Yeah I was wondering that too. A lot of the interactions could be replaced with button presses a la Galaxy on the Nveida Shield tablet or possibly by playing with detached Joycon.

It's the general motion controls aiming across the entire game I'm most Intrigued by as it's one of my favourite control schemes ever.

Gyro aiming like Splatoon 2 and DOOM will probably be the answer, but I'm not sure it'd be quite so nice.

Suits

Post by Suits » January 26th, 2019, 9:14 am

chase210 wrote:
This is something a few of us have discussed quite a few times now man, with differing outcomes.

The resounding outcome is that for it to feel right, it will take a lot of work and something that the actual Switch hardware may struggle to replicate.

An extra special dollop of Nintendo magic is needed here.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 26th, 2019, 10:15 am

Suits wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 9:14 am
chase210 wrote:
This is something a few of us have discussed quite a few times now man, with differing outcomes.
Hahahaha, just when I thought we were done, chase innocently strolls onto the scene and rekindles the topic! :P

For the record, I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong! And I'd obviously be super curious as to how the technical details would play out.

AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown » January 29th, 2019, 1:51 am

I wanted to start writing again and I started with the easiest thing in the world: A fluff piece listicle on my top Switch indies!

http://www.playcritically.com/2019/01/2 ... 2017-2018/

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » February 8th, 2019, 5:06 pm

You know what? I was a little harsh on New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe back there. I've been playing it on and off since release and have come to consider it as easily the best of the NSMB series and even possibly the best mainline 2d Mario game since World.

Its not perfect by any means - it still has some very irritating design flaws, I still think DKC: Tropical Freeze offers a more vibrant and creative 2d platforming experience, and I still really think the series is long overdue a refresh (especially on the visual side of things) but forget all the whining about this being a full price game - you get a hefty chunk of game for your $60 and I defy even seasoned Mario players to breeze through it - this is one fiendishly difficult game in places. I'd say as a pure demand of platforming skill, unlocking every level in NSMBU is more challenging than doing so in SMW. As I say, I've been playing it for almost a month now and still have lots of secret coins to collect and secret levels to unlock, and I haven't even touched Luigi U yet.

At this rate it will easily keep me occupied until Yoshi's Crafted World hits.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » February 8th, 2019, 7:01 pm

KissMammal wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 5:06 pm
You know what? I was a little harsh on New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe back there. I've been playing it on and off since release and have come to consider it as easily the best of the NSMB series and even possibly the best mainline 2d Mario game since World.

Its not perfect by any means - it still has some very irritating design flaws, I still think DKC: Tropical Freeze offers a more vibrant and creative 2d platforming experience, and I still really think the series is long overdue a refresh (especially on the visual side of things) but forget all the whining about this being a full price game - you get a hefty chunk of game for your $60 and I defy even seasoned Mario players to breeze through it - this is one fiendishly difficult game in places. I'd say as a pure demand of platforming skill, unlocking every level in NSMBU is more challenging than doing so in SMW. As I say, I've been playing it for almost a month now and still have lots of secret coins to collect and secret levels to unlock, and I haven't even touched Luigi U yet.

At this rate it will easily keep me occupied until Yoshi's Crafted World hits.
That's exactly how I felt about it (and DKCTF) too on Wii U. It's tricky but has plenty of great moments.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 8th, 2019, 9:06 pm

In relation to the above, I've been working through DKC:TF again, having not finished it on the Wii U or the Switch (when it initially came out).

I think I'm towards the end of world 5 now and it's tricky but it enjoyable challenging.

Regards NSMBUD, I'm playing this solely in Co-Op with the wife in the front room when the mood grabs us.

It's a great Co-Op game to be honest and is a great deal easier with two players. Also the challenges are fun and were good for teaching her a few of the highest tier techniques.

It's funny as half way through world 3 I realised she was playing it in a single button style, as opposed to effectively always holding sprint and jumping by straightening your thumb - so having to teach her how to hold it properly (for want of a better term) was challenging.

After about half an hour she looked at me and agreed it was easier than quickly switching her thumb from B to A to do a run and jump :lol: .

I'm very much looking forward to Yoshi's crafted world and will probably ease off on playing the above as the release approached to avoid platformer burnout.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » February 8th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Tropical Freeze is superb, except for the bosses. I don't really like boss encounters in general but I absolutely loathed the bosses in that game in particular, to the point where i kinda dreaded finishing a world... They just go on and on, and every minute the thought of how much I'd have to replay if I died just made me so anxious. To make the player replay the same 10 minutes of boss fight just to suddenly die in the exact same point over and over just feels really cruel and unnecessary.

I ended up almost 100%ing the game, but tapped out when i hit the time trial challenges because seriously eff that noise!

Speaking of which, the last Bowser encounter in NSMBU is legitimately quite hard - possibly one of the tougher Bowser battles in a Mario game. Not relishing the thought of having to do it again for the coins.

chase210

Post by chase210 » February 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Seems like we’re getting (allegedly) our first direct of the year on the 13th!

Suits

Post by Suits » February 9th, 2019, 8:56 pm

chase210 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Seems like we’re getting (allegedly) our first direct of the year on the 13th!
Mario Maker 2

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » February 10th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Quick question. I have recently become a proud owner of an N64. I’m just curious whether there are any games worth getting which aren’t available elsewhere. Rare replay, wiiu virtual console and multi platform releases on other consoles make this list quite small I suspect.
I never had one back in the day but currently have pilotwings 64 on my list of the one game I own to which the above applies.
Surveying the list of best n64 games of all time brings up very few games which are not available elsewhere. Thoughts?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I was going to say Pilotwings 64! There are definitely others worth considering though. A few off the top of my head:

Space Station Silicon Valley
Body Harvest
Mischief Makers

Craig

Post by Craig » February 10th, 2019, 11:17 pm

It’s a drum I’ll keep beating forever but both the Goemon games on the N64 are great.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 11th, 2019, 12:10 am

Good shout, though I didn’t play the second, I liked the first a lot. Great music!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 11th, 2019, 6:10 am

It's my favourite console but I'm fully aware that some of the games classed as "greats" back then might've aged somewhat but if you're after games off the beaten path, so to speak.

Beetle Adventure Racing
Mischief Makers (aka Go Go Trouble Makers)
The New Tetris
Doom 64 (Essentially Doom 3)
Snowboard Kids 1 & 2
Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Rakuga Kids
Wetrix
Rocket Robot on Wheels

It really way a console of 1st party titles, though and most of the stuff published by Nintendo is quality but those are the ones I can think of which used to have a good reputation back when the console was around.

If I had to pick one overall from any of the games to of held up the best which isn't immediately obvious? Paper Mario