The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Yeah, that’s understandable.

Interested how the multiplayer is going to work with the camera control etc....

It’s a pretty robust package on the Swicth anyway to be honest but with two extra books, it’s a very hefty package now.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: February 14th, 2019, 4:33 pm It’s a pretty robust package on the Swicth anyway to be honest but with two extra books, it’s a very hefty package now.
So which version of Captain Toad is the best, then?

I was going to buy the WiiU one based on your recommendation! Should I get the Switch version after all? :|
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm So which version of Captain Toad is the best, then?

I was going to buy the WiiU one based on your recommendation! Should I get the Switch version after all? :|
You've not got a Switch though have you man ??

But I know you have a Wii U.

The Switch version has the most additional content but it's not worth buying a Switch for, the Wii U version is probably the better version mechanically and is far from being a small package - content wise.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:33 pm You've not got a Switch though have you man ??

But I know you have a Wii U.
Not yet, I'm still holding out for a potential FE Limited Edition or something along those lines. Don't worry, you'll be the first on my friends list when the time comes. :)

Doesn't stop me from preemptively buying games for it (like Smash) or planning out future purchases, though. I didn't buy Fast Racing Neo so I could dive into Fast RMX later on, for example.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 14th, 2019, 6:41 pm Not yet, I'm still holding out for a potential FE Limited Edition or something along those lines. Don't worry, you'll be the first on my friends list when the time comes. :)
You flirt you :P :P .

Oh, right, cool.

Well in that case then man, I suppose the Switch version is probably more appealing due to the handheld nature (which I took advantage of a lot) although, generally, there's no wrong answer here really. I suspect both versions are pretty cheap now.

I just prefer the Wii U version as a few of the controls are better on that system.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Got all comfy and sat down to play the new DLC for Captain Toad, it seems it's not out yet - just the first level as a pre-order bonus :lol: .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I may have missed the announcement, but I saw a trailer last night - I didn't realise the FF IX coming to switch was a full on remake. I assumed it would be a straight port of the PS1 original but the trailer seemed to have all new graphics and everything. Looked quite nice. Anyone here getting it?
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Isn't it a port of the preexisting mobile version?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, it's the same as the mobile/PC/PS4/Xbox One version that's widely available.

It has some good things about it but also some issues. Buyer beware, especially at the premium price point.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

This is really disappointing. Apparently the Switch port of Trials Rising really stinks - input lag, sub 30 fps and (yikes) N64 style fog to hide the draw distance... Was really looking forward to this game. Hope there'll be able to fix with a patch?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... its_rivals
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Strange, considering they can get very DOOM running on the system but it's probably more complicated than that.

I never did get round to trying the beta but it sounds like I didn't miss much. I've really enjoyed Trials in the past, but the last one was a bit of a dud so this one really needs to fire on all cylinders.
Craig

Post by Craig »

It’s one of things that to look at from a layman’s point of view it’s tough to see why X runs so well and Y doesn’t. Something like the Sexy Brutale doesn’t feel like it should really push the system too much, but it runs really poorly.

I’m guessing it’s a mix of things - creative and smart hiding of seams, optimisation and cash. Given an infinite amount of cash, time and talent there are probably a lot of games that could run a whole lot better, but not everything can have the benefit of being Doom.

I’d imagine there are some games more suited to being downscaled, and it probably depends on when this kind of thing was considered - if you bake it early it’s going to be a lot easier.

I mean, this is speaking as a layman. The high bar set by Doom is nice to strive for, but I’d imagine it probably had a lot of cash pushed into it and has likely given a few false expectations.

Though of course that’s not to excuse or disregard ports that just don’t give a great experience. It’s always disappointing when that happens.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve not done XBO, PS4 or switch work, but from my own past experience the reasons something runs great on one platform and not on another are myriad, and include:

1) the original game was written in a way that very tightly couples it to a particular set of hardware. This was way more prevalent back when the internal architectures of the consoles were more significantly different than they are now though. (Ps2 to or from GameCube was a GIT to do, but either of those to Xbox was easy)

2) the middleware you’ve built it on just doesn’t work as well on some platforms. This is often out of your hands, and it’s one of the downsides of using Unity or Unreal. If for some reason that engine when used a particular way just crawls on the Switch you’ll often have no tools to quickly tell you why, and the support channels are not so quick if you’re not paying extra for them.

3) even though the platforms are more similar now than they’ve ever been, they do still have their quirks, and if you’re not familiar with them you can be accidentally doing something that your lead platform doesn’t care about but your porting target chokes on, (main one I can recall for this is that the rendering hardware in the Dreamcast worked quite differently to everything else, and stuff that even the PS1 was fine with would choke it, unless you knew the specifics of how it worked with certain texture types),

Essentially it comes down to knowledge and experience. If you’ce worked on pc most of your career you’ll have zero issues working on XBO or PS4, but you’re going to find ‘weirdness’ when working with these android and iOS level hardware.

Then it comes down to money, solving those problems often means bringing in outside help.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

To be fair, I've now played the beta of Trials Rising and imo it's really not as bad as the article made out. It isn't buttery smooth, but tbh I've never been too bothered about frame rates - it's probably not something I'd even notice unless someone else pointed it out. To me the cluttered UI, rubbish music and the Switch's inherent lack of analogue triggers are far more egregious annoyances. Still seems like a solid game though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: December 17th, 2018, 7:41 pm Good news for GameCube owners who don’t have a CRT.

This looks pretty special, I’ve got a CRT and I’m thinking of getting one.

Quick update: I bought one.

The picture quality improvement is noticeable, albeit not mind-blowing. It's obviously not on the level of a true HD remaster, but everything is a bit more crisp. Colours seem to pop out a bit more as well, especially black which has a tendency to stay in the dark grey area on sub-HD hardware.

As expected, jaggies are more visible. It's not the end of the world, and I got used to it fairly quickly. But still.

On the plus side, I'm finally able to use Progressive Scan on my handful of US import games, which is very nice.

You need to use a universal IR remote for navigating the options, which I don't have. But thankfully the WiiU gamepad can act as a substitute! I'll have a quick look later on.

I'm far from a graphics fetishist, so it's mostly my love for (and regular use of) the GameCube that made me buy it, especially since I don't have any room for an extra CRT. I have to say though, it's a tiny bit expensive for what it is. I don't regret my purchase and I'll definitely keep using it, but buyer beware. Especially if you're satisfied with your current setup.

I like it, overall. :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Does it make Super Monkey ball look even better, then?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Now that would be a tall order. I think only a bottle of Chardonnay and the DK Bongos can achieve that. ;)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Super Bomberman R is available for £18.95 at TheGameCollection. Is it any good? I seem to recall it's been patched a fair bit since release when it was panned originally...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's a fair price for it for local MP play, which is pretty much as great as ever. Online is dead and the SP is pretty frustrating, for info.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hmm. I'll leave it then, single player or online was going to be my hook. Cheers :)