The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nope.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Na, there’s not unfortunately.

The Wii does an almost perfect job of playing GameCube discs too, it only just falls short of perfection in terms of colour.

Some people are using hacked Wii U’s to emulate GameCube ROM’s with pretty decent success - then using the gamepad as a handheld GameCube essentially.

The Bombcast discussed this in fact on this weeks podcast 👍🏽.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Not sure if anyone has suggested this already but would anyone be interested in joining up to get a Nintendo Switch Online family membership? Seems some sites have folks who do this, it can bring the cost right down to a few quid? Would need a few to be up for it?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Shot in the dark, but my WiiU has stopped reading Wii games - but I also recently softmodded it. Is this a normal symptom of softmodding? And if so, is there a disc launcher for the Homebrew Channel or something?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: March 13th, 2019, 11:56 pm Shot in the dark, but my WiiU has stopped reading Wii games - but I also recently softmodded it. Is this a normal symptom of softmodding? And if so, is there a disc launcher for the Homebrew Channel or something?
It shouldn't affect it, but you may have accidently messed some IOS settings and stuff. Have a look around the GBA Temp forms, they're always incredibly knowledable and helpful with this sort of stuff. But yeah, there are loaders available to launch Wii and GC games.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 28th, 2019, 6:38 pm Speaking of which, one other thing worth mentioning is that, even beyond mere graphical considerations, the HDMI input is also helping a lot with future-proofing my GC collection for future TVs, for example. The only thing that worries me a little is that my current GameCube is starting to sound her age at times. Thank God I still have a few first-gen replacement units lying around for when the inevitable happens.
Speaking of speaking of speaking of which... The last couple of times I was playing REmake, my game crashed with a "An error has occurred" message (not disc read error). The disc also looks sparkly clean, so I have no idea what's going on and I'm more than a little worried.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: November 16th, 2018, 9:54 pmI did order a Satisfye grip which has proper handles like a Vita third party grip I tried at my mate's. So so much more comfy for a ground pounder.
Just received one of these today. Excited to use it, the Switch has always bothered me with the lack of rigidity thanks to the modular joycons, and my hands do get sore after a while of playing handheld. This fixes both of those issues. Ridiculously expensive being from America (I'm in UK) but research and testing another grip showed the Satisfye is reputed to be the best option.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Nindies Direct streaming in 15 mins, people
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Our Ryan was heavily involved in putting this together so be nice.
😉
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Wow. That's awesome. Looking forward to it when I get home.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Lots of cool looking stuff!

So THATS the second 2d Zelda title that had been rumoured....!

Cuphead also confirmed, and its coming soon (April 18th)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Man, that was a good Nindies Direct 😳.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Huh, I wonder how ‘nailed on’ this all is.

I don’t feel the Switch really needs too much to be honest but I’m open to the possibilities of improvements obviously.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'd like to see jetpacks, and the ability to rewind time in the real world. Anything short of that is a complete failure.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I'm pretty skeptical about the possibility of removing the Joy-Cons and/or the HD rumble for the entry-level model, a bunch of the Switch's most casual-friendly party games require both. I honestly doubt they'd make ANY changes that would totally prevent a portion of games from being played.
Suits

Post by Suits »

JadePhoenix wrote: March 26th, 2019, 1:44 am I honestly doubt they'd make ANY changes that would totally prevent a portion of games from being played.
I’m kind of with you on that, and I know it’s not exactly the same but if you’d said to me five years ago I could by a 3DS without the 3D - I’d probably have thought that was a daft suggestion given the premise of many of the platforms titles.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I suspect this is real. Most of these other rumours have turned out to be right or close to the truth.

I can also see, as a parent whose kids repeatedly drop the Switch and want it on 24/7, why a cheaper version to play Mario, Zelda, Minecraft etc on makes sense (and where the parental lock usage would be a godsend).

Doubt that many people play with split Joycons in multiplayer or are too fussed about Mario Party, 1-2-Switch etc.
Suits

Post by Suits »

seansthomas wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:00 am Doubt that many people play with split Joycons in multiplayer or are too fussed about Mario Party, 1-2-Switch etc.
They were the exact two instances of software that sprung to my mind too when I thought about forced split JC use.

Mind, there’s probably nothing to stop the ability to connect additional JC’s to be able to play that software. Unless they are looking to remove the Bluetooth connectivity along with the HD rumble.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

FF7 on the switch looks way sharper than 9 does.