The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Balloon Fight is certainly less intense than Joust, at least early on.

You can at least re-order the games if you like.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having redownloaded it, to give the selection their due, some of these are OK, one or two are great (SMB3, maybe Zelda, maybe SMB) but aside from Tecmo Bowl, the sports games are absolutely awful! I would have preferred ten good uns than padding out with what I will generously call absolute shite.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 9:05 pm You can at least re-order the games if you like.
So you can! Thanks for that.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I did update my Switch and signed up for the 7 Day trial, followed by going into the eshop settings and deselecting auto-renewal.

And yeah, it's fine. From the point of view of functionality, it works. To keep things positive, it's a solid foundation for something potentially better in the future.

Fortunately there's already a really good version of Donkey Kong on the Switch, courtesy of Arcade Archives. And most of those games are on the 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Nes/SNES mini, etc... so alternatives exist.

Earthbound on the Wii U, for me, was a big motivator to by a Wii U. It was an easy purchase decision for me to make because outside of rom-sites, it wasn't that widely available. That motivation just doesn't exist for me with Switch Online.

So, yeah. It functions. That's a plus. Won't be subscribing, but hey, maybe it'll get better. Anything is possible?
Craig

Post by Craig »

I haven't had the time to dive in to it yet but I'm looking forward to it. Unlike some here, I still really enjoy NES games and although I still probably prefer the SNES era, there's certainly something appealing about how simple these games need to be from necessity. I doubt I'll dip into the sports games, but I can see why they're there - it's a huge nostalgia tugging project and many folk have fond memories of multiplayer with these specific games (I hear Tecmo Bowl mentioned quite frequently.)

I like that they have a bit of 3rd party support already. I'd imagine Nintendo are eagerly pushing Square Enix to let them put the Dragon Quest games on, and as they've appeared on the Famicom Mini, they might get their wish at some point.

As for the upcoming games-
October - Solomon's Key, NES Open and Dodgeball.
Nothing here too exciting, but I hear Solomon's Key is pretty solid

November - Metroid, Mighty Bomb Jack, Twinbee.
Metroid is a decent prototype completely undermined by starting with 30 health every time you die and having to farm it back up. It has other issues (no map, similar looking locales) but this was the big killer for me.

Twinbee is an interesting one - it didn't have an NES release, only Famicom, so they've gone and made a new NES style box art for it. Sets a nice precedent, though I would imagine this will only be for the case for games with little to no text. I can't imagine them funding a translation especially considering how much of a pain in the arse it would be to translate and update a famicom game.

December - Wario's Woods, Ninja Gaiden, Adventures of Lolo
Never quite clicked with Ninja Gaiden, but the Adventures of Lolo is a brilliant puzzle game. Don't sleep on it.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Agree with everyone here that SMB3 is the crown jewel of the NES Library(still need to get around finishing it, PhD life and gaming don't mix too well!) but since it was remade with nicer graphics in Super Mario All Stars I would say skip the NES entirely and just go play that. I think the improvement the SNES made over its predecessor is truly incredible and there is not a single series I can think of that has a superior NES entry compared to what the SNES had to offer. For me, it is the only console transition where I think the newer gen games outdid the older titles in every conceivable metric and to be quite honest, it annoys me that the 16 bit era is completely overlooked whenever newer games want to evoke a retro aesthetic. I have far greater fondness for this generation of gaming than anything prior to it and it was when gaming truly started to really show off its potential.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

You can also get Mario All-Stars on the Wii and it looks good on the Wii U but then you’re losing portability and save states.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

No sugar-coating from me, this is a pretty terrible debut for the Switch online service in my opinion.

The selection of games (to me) is really poor, I got bored of perusing them after about 10 minutes. It feels naff playing NES games on the Joycons, the best of which I already own on 3DS and multiple other systems. I just don't care about NES games, I've had a NES Mini, let's see N64, GameCube, it's just boring having the NES pushed on us time after time after time. I hear Suits' positive vibes for newcomers and whatnot and I do love some of these games but for me - as a retro enthusiast too - it's lazy and cheap to use this as a focal point on a (supposedly) forward-thinking console's paid service.

The list of issues & constraints that pale in comparison to any other online service is baffling for a company to stand behind in 2018 and the fact they are persisting with the smartphone app method of voice comms when the system is perfectly capable of bluetooth & on-board mic / headphone jacks is crazy. I was sat on the train in France last week playing my Vita with bluetooth headphones FFS, yet I can't do that on this thing. It's ridiculous. Side issue but still.

Since I barely touch online multiplayer these days, I won't be keeping this beyond the trial unless that changes down the road for me.

I love the Switch but Nintendo are making so many decisions I can't get on board with these days. I wish the Vita got the props it deserved and either played this role today or Sony put out a sequel. Pretty much all of the issues I have with the Switch are not present firing up the Vita! How crazy is that.

Ugh.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The patent for the N64 controller/mini has been approved. Hoping to see an announcement soon!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThunderForce IV is out on the Sega Ages label! From M2!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Dark Souls Remastered on Switch seems to be literally DS: PTD edition from 2012 with the original textures and lighting. I literally could not have hoped for anything more. As much as I like having DS1 on PS4 and I appreciate the little changes and stuff, it's not quite Dark Souls. This is so good. It's just the PS3 version without absolutely shit house frame rate. Aaaahhhhh...Life is good.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

That sounds pretty great. I love the vibe that game has
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's still got that gauzey Vaseline vibe, just a teeny bit crisper in the foreground. It's probably the best possible version besides the modded PC release with DSFix.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Looking forward to it. I've still never actually played a Dark Souls game. I even own PTD edition on 360, but never got round to it as I've essentially been a handheld-only gamer for the last five years.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Craig wrote: September 20th, 2018, 12:21 am I like that they have a bit of 3rd party support already. I'd imagine Nintendo are eagerly pushing Square Enix to let them put the Dragon Quest games on, and as they've appeared on the Famicom Mini, they might get their wish at some point.
Would love to see the NES Dragon Quest games, IMO they hold up way better than the early Final Fantasies, and DQ IV is kind of unbelievably ambitious for an NES game. Timing some of them to line up with the western Switch release of DQ XI would make a lot of sense.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If you want to cancel automatic renewal during your 7 day trial of online make sure you do it by day 4 otherwise it will not let you. Apparently you have to give 48 hours notice!. So I have now subbed an extra month!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Me too! BALLS!

Ah well at least I can play SMB3 and have cloud backup data saves...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

That's well sneaky... Luckily I cancelled automatic renewal the same day I signed up.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, that’s moody that is.

Auto renewal, on whatever the service, should be off by default and only activated by the consumer.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Mark of the Ninja Remastered now has a Switch release date of October the 9th - highly recommend picking it up if you never played it back in the day. Phenomenal game, and I say that as someone who normally can't stand stealth games.