The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 15th, 2018, 10:17 pm In better news, Worms W.M.D. on Switch just patched in proper friend vs friend play.
Indeed! I have this game, I've been playing my brother in law, it's flawless online. Just the Worms I've been waiting for and perfect for the system.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: February 15th, 2018, 10:11 pm
hazeredmist wrote: February 15th, 2018, 9:30 pm Can anyone confirm or disconfirm if you can play online with friends in FIFA 18 on Switch? Can’t seem to find a definitive answer...

It’s £21.99 at Argos!
No, there’s no invite system.

You just have to matchmake at the same time and hope you find each other.

Pathetic.
Absolutely no excuse - Rocket League, Puyo Puyo Tetris and as Ratso says Worms are all 3rd party games I own which have friend invites. I really want to try FIFA but without this I'm not sure I can justify it, it's a big deal. Picked up a copy on my way home but it remains in shrink wrap and may be returned... :|
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 15th, 2018, 10:14 pm Maybe the devs are just stuck in 2003 and still using that fancy GameCube modem adapter of yours? :lol:
One can dream.......

I leave that thing installed on my GameCube permanently, just because I can !!

hazeredmist wrote: February 15th, 2018, 10:26 pm Absolutely no excuse - Rocket League, Puyo Puyo Tetris and as Ratso says Worms are all 3rd party games I own which have friend invites. I really want to try FIFA but without this I'm not sure I can justify it, it's a big deal. Picked up a copy on my way home but it remains in shrink wrap and may be returned... :|
Maybe it's something to do with the basic code of the game's multiplayer options. Where as the other versions all support invites EA have just left it in and it just doesn't work.

Then maybe, with the delayed, upcoming system patch that will support the online service, it will be activated at a later date.

I live in hope.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

What worries me is the new online service coincides with the usual release window for FIFA games... so we might see the next one have the options while 18 is left behind which would be a shame.
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: February 16th, 2018, 10:22 am What worries me is the new online service coincides with the usual release window for FIFA games... so we might see the next one have the options while 18 is left behind which would be a shame.
I like to think that it will coincide with the release of a multiplayer focused Nintendo title, maybe a Smash 4 port.

Or what will be in time for the Switch version of the newest CoD game, which is supposed to be another Black Opps title.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nintendo Direct begins in 25 minutes!

My fingers are crossed for more info on Switch!FE and Metroid Prime 4, obviously.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I feel like I'm betraying my bullshit elitist persona by saying this, but the new Mario Tennis looks really good! :P
Camelot still secretly one of the best studios in the industry.

Oh my god, the
Spoiler: show
Smash
announcement was hilarious. Nintendo are always so cute when they think they're cool. :lol:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Splatoon 2 single player DLC scratches my back nicely.

Not a lot else in that one that interests me though.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 8th, 2018, 10:24 pm ...Nintendo are always so cute when they think they're cool. :lol:
Based on how my Twitter feed exploded, I think their awkward-cute thing is working for them!

Lots of interest for me here. Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS is a bummer when it seems ripe for a Switch conversion, but I suppose they can use what they have built for 2 for an easier port.

Smash is interesting, Octopath still looks interesting, Tennis looks great (that Chain Chomp tentatively holding a racket in its teeth - adorable). I still haven't played Undertale OR Okami OR Captain Toad, so those are all worthwhile ports to me. Still feel an itch to play Crash and relive my youth too, and the Switch seems an appropriate place to do that...

So yeah, probably buying a Switch this weekend!
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 8th, 2018, 10:24 pm Nintendo are always so cute when they think they're cool. :lol:
I thought that that video of the Smash announcement was cool as hell.

I loved the playful battle that the inklings were having and the attention to detail in it was excellent, even the paint going down in their canisters as they shot each other was nice. Well choreographed I thought.

Then it went dark, then that massive burning sky and the way her pupil dances about trying to take in what she seeing was excellent.

It literally gave me goose-pimples.

Maybe you have to feel some sort of attachment to the characters to get the most of out of it but it landed with me - loved it.

Other than that, another good little Direct I thought.

Luigi's Mansion coming to the 3DS is nice as that's a wonderful game.

Mario Tennis - Good
Octopath Traveler - Good (and that Special Edition looked pimp)
Captain Toad - Excellent (I've already played this on Wii U but will happily go trough it all again and enjoy those new levels)
Splatoon 2 Expansion - Excellent (I'll be well into that I think)
Smash - Good
Undertale - Nice ( I missed this first time around on everything so I'll likely pick this up when it lands and give it a go)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this Direct. Usually I keep my expectations low for these. They tend to not be that great outside of the big E3 show they do. There was also that semi-accurate leak that happened about some of the stuff that showed up, which didn't include much interesting stuff. But it turned out to be really cool! Lots of very cool things I wasn't expecting.

Highlight for me was the Splatoon stuff. Pretty much everything they showed was stuff that the community has been asking for for a long time. Stuff that I didn't even think would be coming. Really glad they're bringing back Camp Triggerfish, and that single player expansion looks extremely cool. It'll be interesting to see where they go story-wise with that. Looks like there's some hints at some unusual stuff.

Also really glad to finally see gameplay of No More Heroes. Surprised to see that it's a top-down affair, although I did have some suspicions that there would be something different about this game compared to the others. They were hinting at that for a while. Although I would have liked a more traditional third-person affair, I'm digging this too. Reminds me a bit of Furi, or something like that. Having co-op is nice too.

There was a lot of other stuff that was good to see, even if it didn't appeal to me precisely. I'd like to get on board with Okami HD, but I played that on PS4 not long ago. Not sure I'm ready to buy and play through that one again. Porting the first Luigi's Mansion to 3DS seems like a great idea, and the Captain Toad port and Mario Tennis seem like fine games too. That Smash teaser was hilarious as well. Was kind of confused at what it would be at first. A port of Splatoon 1? On the 3DS or something? Then that shot of the Inkling petrified with awe and horror at the Smash logo was a great punch line.
Craig

Post by Craig »

When I saw the Splatoon folk running around I had such a mix of thoughts -
“Wait, they’ve just shown Splatoon stuff so it won’t be Splatoon again so..
This could totally be smash
Wait no
Don’t get excited
Wait yes
Wait what the hell
Smash must be terrifying in universe”
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Theres already a lot of analysis and speculation of which characters might be in the new Smash based off the silhouettes.

Link defintely looks to be his Breath of the Wild version, I wonder if Zelda is too?
Suits

Post by Suits »

As Sean eluded too on Twitter, I’m holding tight for a Rabbid Peach :lol: .
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Very excited for Wario Ware! Hurray for the 3DS not being dead!

I was excited about Little Nightmares until I found out it was digital only. (Lame)

I'm very excited for Octopath Traveller, but I suspect I'm in the minority.

And something that didn't get announced for the Direct - Another World (Yes the 1990s PC game) is getting a Switch port.

Suits

Post by Suits »

I had to do some fault finding with my Switch last night, none of my Pro Controllers would wirelessly connect to the system. They would connect via a wire but otherwise neither device would find each other.

It turns out, that you can only ever have 8 individual controllers paired to one system at a time.

Oddly, I managed to have 9 (so the system told me). I then disconnected all the controllers and started again by attaching a set of Joy Cons.

I then began the pairing process for one of my Pro Controllers - nothing, couldn't see eachother still.

After finally running out of ideas, I restarted the system and tried again - all was fine.

Very odd.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

While this probably fall under general news (and late news at that :oops: ), it's pretty exciting to read of the development of a Switch release of Aka to Blue at... some stage in the future?

Aka to Blue is already available on mobile platforms, with an arcade PCB version in the works (or already complete). And its the first game from Tanoshimasu, with ex-Cave Co Hiroyuki Kimura as CEO. As close to a new Cave-shmup as you're going to get, as Cave has gone the mobile-free-to-play route.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Fantastic, thanks. I'd not heard about it. That'll be a day one for me.

Have you checked out Danmaku Unlimited 3, by the way? It's a superb bullet hell indie, pretty and with a superb soundtrack and a rewarding graze system. One of my highlights of the year so far.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Stanshall wrote: April 6th, 2018, 7:50 am Fantastic, thanks. I'd not heard about it. That'll be a day one for me.

Have you checked out Danmaku Unlimited 3, by the way? It's a superb bullet hell indie, pretty and with a superb soundtrack and a rewarding graze system. One of my highlights of the year so far.
Oh yeah, I totally downloaded that day one! Love Danmaku Unlimited 3... the Switch really is building up a genuinely great library of games that aren't just AAA titles!

I only just learnt of Aka to Blue and Tanoshimasu today... it's amazing what flies under the radar!
Beck

Post by Beck »

Hey guys,

I've just purchased a switch and looking for advice on memory cards. Any tips? What size should I go for?