The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I played through the first on 3DS and thoroughly enjoyed it. I used the Circle Pad Pro and not sure how it would have handled without, but that obviously won't be a problem for the Switch.

It's very much a throwback Resi game - all set in one location, tighter environments, restricted ammo etc - essentially proper survival horror unlike what mainline franchise had become at the time.

Definitely worth a go if you like the old games. Not played no.2 but I heard it was good and follows the same format.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: August 1st, 2017, 2:34 pm I played through the first on 3DS and thoroughly enjoyed it. I used the Circle Pad Pro and not sure how it would have handled without, but that obviously won't be a problem for the Switch.
Ha, yeah, I used one of those with it too actually :lol: .

Forgot all about that piece of hardware. If I remember correctly I used it for Majora's Mask and RER1.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I liked it using it - gave a nice girth and grip. I got my mileage out of it with Metal Gear Solid, that Neo something or other game where you play as a tiny ship and of course Monster Hunter, which the peripheral was essentially created for.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: August 1st, 2017, 3:12 pm I liked it using it - gave a nice girth and grip. I got my mileage out of it with Metal Gear Solid, that Neo something or other game where you play as a tiny ship and of course Monster Hunter, which the peripheral was essentially created for.
Yeah, you know.

I even picked up the Monster Hunter grip for the 'NEW' 3DS that just gave the system a better feel in the hands and stopped the cramps.

I broke it though and it just kept falling off after a while :( .
Suits

Post by Suits »

Looks like there's a Limited Edition Metroid N3DSXL coming out.

I already have two N3DS'.

FFS Nintendo.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's an "Unfinished" video of that game over at Giant Bomb.

Not watching!!! NOT. HELP.
Suits

Post by Suits »

There's a nice little (non spoiler) piece on it on Eurogamer.

I've played the first few hours of it back back ago on the original cart on a GameBoy but got mind melted by it, so I'm really looking forward to the re-release :) .
chase210

Post by chase210 »

(Semi) pro tip for buying Sonic Mania on the switch. Change your region on my nintendo to russia, and its signficantly cheaper on their E-Shop, and you can change it back afterwards, cost me €9.90 instead of €20.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yep, £9 in GBP or thereabouts (as opposed to £16) by clicking a few things before buying Sonic Mania:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189706- ... h/75070050

Thanks chase210!
James

Post by James »

Were you able to pay without having to move to the Kremlin or anything?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, no need for alternate addresses, email or otherwise.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I got a nice birthday present recently of the fabulous 8 bitdo Super Famicom controller. If you're on the fence and it looks like something you'd be interested in I fully recommend it. Feels and plays just like the real thing.

One unexpected side effect is my wife, who rarely plays games outside of Animal Crossing, has enjoyed playing Mario Kart and the Puyo Tetris with me. Modern controllers with too many buttons are difficult for her and she can remember having fun with the Super Famicom as a kid. I always expected the controller to tickle nostalgic bones, but I expected it to only be mine!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Same here man, the wife feels like things are more accessible with the SFC30 pad.

She hates analogue sticks.

Glad to hear that you're impressed with it - I was well impressed.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Annnnnd there's another new 3DS-XL on its way to Europe.

This time the SNES skinned one. Which has been in Japan for a while. That I came close to picking up a few times.
Craig

Post by Craig »

It looks sweet as hell. Was tempted when it was in Japan. Tempted again now it's the EU version.

I don't really have time or want to play 3DS games at the moment now that I have a switch.

But the urge man. The urge is real.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've ordered the Samus Returns one already you see.

But man, I've wanted the Super Nintendo one for so long, the packaging is a bit off but stays true to the European theme I suppose.

If I don't get it I'll regret it I think.

Why the Hell are Nintendo, now, releasing all these Limited Editions. Perhaps they're trying to shift all the screens and other hardware they have in stock.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I'm considering selling a bunch of my Wii U games that I'll likely never play again and which I sense will get Switch ports if they haven't already.

So Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros... maybe Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze too. It'll allow me to rebuy MK8Deluxe and a few Indies. Bad idea or sound judgment?
Suits

Post by Suits »

seansthomas wrote: August 26th, 2017, 8:07 am So Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros... maybe Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze too. It'll allow me to rebuy MK8Deluxe and a few Indies. Bad idea or sound judgment?
I'd say sound judgment if you're never going to play them again.

Wii U games generally command a good trade in price at CEX.

If you can get into that routine and cycle through games via trade in when you're done with them it's a good cycle.

I have a mate that does this and only ever has about 3 games on his shelf.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: August 26th, 2017, 8:53 am
seansthomas wrote: August 26th, 2017, 8:07 am So Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros... maybe Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze too. It'll allow me to rebuy MK8Deluxe and a few Indies. Bad idea or sound judgment?
I'd say sound judgment if you're never going to play them again.

Wii U games generally command a good trade in price at CEX.

If you can get into that routine and cycle through games via trade in when you're done with them it's a good cycle.

I have a mate that does this and only ever has about 3 games on his shelf.
I'm not sure I'll ever be that guy as I take too long to flog games I've bought, but equally I'm not a collector either. I've given away whole back catalogues of games and consoles to youth clubs and mates before. I've finally got rid of the old CRT TV too I used to play PS1&2 games on. My loft is now just a couple of boxes of games and consoles I haven't got out in years, bar a brief replay of Ico two years back.

I just wonder if I'd do better to flog some of this Wii U stuff as I can't see it being collectable or else me replaying it if I have it on Switch. Will hold onto Bayonetta 2 for now though until it's 100% Switch bound regardless.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

seansthomas wrote: August 26th, 2017, 8:07 am I'm considering selling a bunch of my Wii U games that I'll likely never play again and which I sense will get Switch ports if they haven't already.

So Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros... maybe Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze too. It'll allow me to rebuy MK8Deluxe and a few Indies. Bad idea or sound judgment?
I'm generally of the opinion that it's a bad idea to impulse sell things just to get some money back. The money is quickly spent and the potential remorse usually only kicks in much later. Out of that list, DKTF looks like the obvious red flag to me, given its status as a high-quality exclusive title. It would certainly make sense to sell Mario Kart if you're planning on buying the Deluxe edition, however.

It's your choice, but I'd advise you to be careful not to corner yourself into thinking "I wish I could replay Donkey Kong somehow..." without any means to do so five years from now.

Then again, I'm probably biased because I'm a collector at heart and I dislike the current ephemeral business model of the industry.