The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

As the forums resident Koei Warriors fanboy, yes. I will be buying FE Warriors.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just ordered my copy, £41.85 from Simply Games - and I've never had a game from there that didn't arrive at least one day early.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hey, good luck man. There’s never anything stupid about prioritising other things in life, even if they didn’t work out as you planned. Had you not did it, you’d be in the same situation but now resenting the fact you didn’t sell it. But yeah, as I said, good luck!

Looking back on Edge’s perfect 10 list there’s Mario 64, and both the Galaxy games. But not sunshine. Fair 😛
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ThirdMan wrote: October 12th, 2017, 6:43 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: October 12th, 2017, 6:24 pm Just ordered my copy, £41.85 from Simply Games - and I've never had a game from there that didn't arrive at least one day early.
Nice.

I sold my Switch a few months back. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. But I had the most important exams of my life approaching and in general I needed to cut at least some of the gaming out of my life. So my exams finished today, after 4 months of studying and working, but unfortunately they didn't go well. I might lose my offer of a contract when my employer finds out I didn't make the grade. Even worse, I haven't told my girlfriend yet, who's been ever so supportive. I'm on the train from Dublin, very worried, a little teary, yet smiling ear to ear at the thought of my inevitable purchase of another Switch.

If that's not Nintendo Power, I don't know what is.
Sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't adversely affect your role.

Exams are horrid. The amount of emphasis people put on them is plain wrong. We have employed so many people at our design studio who didn't get the best grades but who are insanely talented. Not doing as well as you'd hoped in exams isn't always the be all and end all. May turn out to be a blessing in years to come, but won't feel like that right now.

Now go get yourself a Switch!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Craig wrote: October 13th, 2017, 12:04 am Looking back on Edge’s perfect 10 list there’s Mario 64, and both the Galaxy games. But not sunshine. Fair 😛
Enough with the Sunshine hate already! :P

seansthomas wrote: October 13th, 2017, 12:26 pm Exams are horrid. The amount of emphasis people put on them is plain wrong. We have employed so many people at our design studio who didn't get the best grades but who are insanely talented. Not doing as well as you'd hoped in exams isn't always the be all and end all. May turn out to be a blessing in years to come, but won't feel like that right now.
Co-signed. Chin up, ThirdMan. I hope you'll land on your feet soon.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Poor old Sunshine. To date, the only Mario game I've completed.

I'll see myself out.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Isn't Forbes basically an 'unadulterated shit farm'? It seems their MO is to cover all contradictory angles and opinions, with a clickbait focus, and to have no particular editorial tone or integrity. Quite rich from them, and transparently bitter.

Also, from a purely practical point of view, if they didn't release their review now (and that's with a short delay, even to subscribers), it would be coming out more than two weeks after the launch of the game. Also, it's Edge, arguably the most respected English-language gaming magazine of the last two decades.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Eh, it’s a game that’s been extensively previewed with glowing praise. I’m not saying it deserves the big 10, but there’s nothing odd, surprising or suspicious about it.

If it comes out and it’s broken, then whatever, you can put together your theories then. But right now, without having played it, it’s a pile of antagonistic shite.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Switch has been ORDERED!

Pulled the trigger on a deal for £289 including a Switch and Mario vs Rabbids, while they're actually in stock. I don't actually get it till Christmas (saving for and buying my own Christmas presents is fun lol, such is fatherhood) but it's good to know it's a cert now. Also have Mario Odyssey on pre-order to add to the package. Christmas Day is going to be fun 8-)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

kintaris wrote: October 13th, 2017, 1:26 pm Poor old Sunshine. To date, the only Mario game I've completed.

I'll see myself out.
One of my favourite Mario games too. I never understood why it was underrated by the general public and kind of retrospectively by games media as at the time it seemed to be very well received. I personally loved it! Full of personality and great ideas.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sunshine is comfortably my least favourite Mario game - arguably not including SMB2/Doki Doki Panic. We discussed it in depth in podcast issue 121: https://caneandrinse.com/super-mario-su ... rinse-121/

Perhaps it will shed some light as to why some people aren't so keen on it overall, although of course plenty of people really like it too.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 16th, 2017, 11:45 am Sunshine is comfortably my least favourite Mario game - arguably not including SMB2/Doki Doki Panic. We discussed it in depth in podcast issue 121: https://caneandrinse.com/super-mario-su ... rinse-121/

Perhaps it will shed some light as to why some people aren't so keen on it overall, although of course plenty of people really like it too.
I listened to that podcast, it was a good one. You guys seemed confused as to why it was referred to as being underrated too (lots of correspondence pointed that opinion out) - like I say I think it's definitely a retrospective thing as at the time everyone seemed to love it. Then it was looked upon less favourably with history for some reason.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I didn't like it that much at the time (for a Mario game), and returning to it for the show only cemented my opinion.
All sorts of mechanical and design problems from my point of view. By contrast Super Mario Galaxy may be just about my favourite videogame of all time.

So excited for Odyssey!
:)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah I cannot wait for Odyssey. Is there a better Christmas possible than firing up a new mainline Mario game for the first time?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sunshine's biggest problem for me and the reason I generally don't enjoy it as much as the others, are the controls - they frustrate me a lot.

In fact, we've had some friends down over the weekend and while the girls were eating ice cream and watching that dancing program in the front room, me and my mate had the GameCube going in the dinning room with Sunshine on as that’s what he wanted to play.

Playing through the early part of some of those levels left me more frustrated at times than fulfilled. Shooting those water balloon things at the giant Piranha Pete and trying to jump on the Beach Wiggler was painful at times.

Everything else about it I enjoy very much though.

Mega excited for Odyssey, I’m already planning my pizza and beers for it :lol: . I’ll be playing this on the big TV for the first part too, as I want to see it in all its glory.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have my order in with Simply Games. £41.85 or some odd amount. They are reliable for getting stuff out early so I'm hopeful that I'll be playing it a week Thursday,

Amazon is doing £41.99 for the digital code (£39.99 for Prime members):
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... pre-launch
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Funnily enough I was just wondering if SimplyGames were any good, I've just ordered a Pro Controller though them. So that answers my question if you're using them Leon :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, couple of years now. Perfect so far.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I've got everything I need for the Switch for Christmas now, as my "Deluxe Case" arrived today. £14 from Amazon. Now I just need a screen protector... Any people recommend? Tempered glass the best to go for or a regular one?

Cheers 8-)
Suits

Post by Suits »

I use mine constantly and fling it about all over the place.

Not a mark on it.

No visible marks from the dock either.

My personal recommendation would be to not bother, it’s tough and durable enough to withstand most general use I believe.