The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers flabyo

Nintendo are pretty backwards generally with their net options but honestly, it’s weirdly endearing at this point.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Am I completely useless or is buying a game from one of the other stores totally impossible?

I set up various accounts fine, but paying for anything seems a right headache. Tried Amazon, but that detected my region. Tried PayPal to no avail. Thought I'd bought a card code through Offgamers but not sure that's worked either and can't cancel my order.

Any tips? Oxenfree is $4.99 on the US store and I'd like to give it a spin. Thanks!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

For US and Japan, you will need to buy credit through PlayAsia and the like. You can set up a Japanese Amazon account to buy stuff directly from there but having tried twice, in earnest, I've still not managed to get it to verify my credit card.

By far the best, most straightforward option is to change your My Nintendo account location to South Africa. You can use your UK debit card details and the games are about a third cheaper. I got Doom and Skyrim for around 35 quid, versus 50 on the UK store.

I saw on Twitter that Oxenfree is likely going to be on a similar sale in the EU store (SA is the same) in good time, according to the devs. I'd hold off.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Stanshall wrote: December 29th, 2017, 11:28 pm For US and Japan, you will need to buy credit through PlayAsia and the like. You can set up a Japanese Amazon account to buy stuff directly from there but having tried twice, in earnest, I've still not managed to get it to verify my credit card.

By far the best, most straightforward option is to change your My Nintendo account location to South Africa. You can use your UK debit card details and the games are about a third cheaper. I got Doom and Skyrim for around 35 quid, versus 50 on the UK store.

I saw on Twitter that Oxenfree is likely going to be on a similar sale in the EU store (SA is the same) in good time, according to the devs. I'd hold off.
Cheers, super helpful!
Craig

Post by Craig »

If anyone wants eshop money for the Japan store send me a PM and you can PayPal me.

I’m still making most of my eshop purchases via the UK store as I’ve a UK debit card (Japan are pretty stingy giving foreigners credit and debit cards) but I’m going to have to swap over for Shovel Knight. Was recently on sale in the EU shop and still more expensive than the JPN store. Now it’s on sale in the JPN store and half the price - bargain!

Also worth noting that not all eshop games support all languages. It’s usually listed on the eshop but best to check when delving into the Japan store. Splatoon, for example, is Japanese only. First party Nintendo stuff is usually fine, smaller titles it varies.

An incomplete list but handy thread to consult is here http://www.gaijingamers.com/showthread.php?t=8695
Craig

Post by Craig »

EDIT: See the bottom, I got it working!

So it seems my 8 Bit Do SNES controller has stopped working with the Switch, which is really disappointing considering that was the main reason I got it. Looking around the internet, I'm not the only one. I guess they're at the whims of Switch updates and the like, but when they pushed it so heavily months ago as working with the Switch, it's not really on for them to drop support.

More annoying still, the drivers are no longer on their website. EDIT: I’M AN IDIOT WHO CAN’t SCROLL DOWN A WEBSITE- it’s there!

Upgraded to the latest firmware, still nada. EDIT AGAIN: it lives! I got it working!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:07 am Upgraded to the latest firmware, still nada. EDIT AGAIN: it lives! I got it working!
This is the only issue I have with not using mine more - the fact that I forget, or don't know that there has been an update to the firmware.

Twice I've gone to use them and they've not worked due to needing an update.

It's not a major issue but it's a consideration if you don't use them all the time that if you do want to use them, they need to be on the latest firmware.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Strong rumours we'll be getting a Nintendo direct next week (supposed to be the 11th) which is pretty exciting.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Not one really for rumours, as fun as they are but there was the noise that Metroid and Bayo3 were listed as this year on a European retail website.

Also, while we’re at it, did anyone watch that supposedly leaked 5.0 Switch OS video ?? Pretty impressive thing that was :lol: .
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Suits wrote: January 7th, 2018, 7:46 pm Not one really for rumours, as fun as they are but there was the noise that Metroid and Bayo3 were listed as this year on a European retail website.

Also, while we’re at it, did anyone watch that supposedly leaked 5.0 Switch OS video ?? Pretty impressive thing that was :lol: .
I did see that, unfortunately Nintendo Norway (where that was from) is run by the company that distributes Nintendo products in that region and thus isn't really a reliable barometer on them things.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

chase210 wrote: January 7th, 2018, 4:50 pm Strong rumours we'll be getting a Nintendo direct next week (supposed to be the 11th) which is pretty exciting.
Latest rumour from Kotaku - it's today, and a Dark Souls remaster announcement will close it.

Launching in May, with separate development teams for a Switch remaster and one for the other platforms. The latter allegedly could up the multiplayer to six concurrent players.
Suits

Post by Suits »

kintaris wrote: January 11th, 2018, 11:41 am Latest rumour from Kotaku - it's today, and a Dark Souls remaster announcement will close it.
Where do I sign ...... :lol: .
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Wow that really dropped out of nowhere, direct mini is live now! We got

The World Ends With You Final Remix for Switch!
Kirby Star Allies on March 16th!
Hyrule Warriors on Switch!
Mario Tennis Aces on Switch!
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on Switch!
Dark Souls remaster on Switch on May 25th. (hooray)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy Announced for Switch
Fe and Celeste (Nindies)
Ys VII (RPG?)
New Mario Odyssey content!
New Mario Rabbids character (Donkey Kong)
Aegislash is being added to Pokken Tournament.
Something boring about a Payday 2 character.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

As usual, nothing for me except the Dark Souls remaster which I will probably buy for PS4 anyway. I hope the rest of you are more satisfied!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm interested in virtually everything that they showed. Lovely!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

The World Ends With You was fantastic. So glad it's finally getting a modern platform.

Also my "I need to finish my Wii-U only games before I buy a Switch" is down to just Woolly World... so much for that incentive to resist.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Woolly World HD DX would not go amiss!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Got the ultimate family heirloom wanking glove down from the loft. Everything I ever wanted.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Ys 8 for the Switch is probably the most exciting news, as it should come with the new translation automatically included.

I didn't buy Donkey Kong TF for the WiiU, so I was hoping it would get a port.

I was hoping an announcement of Xenoblade X would be coming, but I guess it doesn't make sense so soon after XB2 just came out.

The World Ends With You has been on my backlog for forever, so I will probably just grab this version and play it with the extra content.

As for Dark Souls.....meh. Would have preferred Demons Souls.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If you fancy a chuckle, compare the section on SNK Heroines in the EU version of the Nintendo direct video to the JPN version of it.