The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Suits wrote: January 12th, 2018, 3:38 pm Wasn’t that literally the case though, both the most recent Sony and MS consoles launched without backwards compatibility/Virtual Console.

I wonder if the lack of any Virtual Console service at the moment is down to making the right decision, which in turn is linked to how Nintendo want to run their paid online service and all the implications of potentially paying for a service that doesn’t work (multiplayer chat etc..).

Imagine the uproar if VC was launched this month, then in August when the paid service begins you get all these games for free on the Nintendo/Netflix service.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. You're right neither of the other two launched with a virtual console style system. I meant more the fact that the VC was present and correct on Nintendo's two previous consoles for 10 years - a core system feature - and then removed for Wii U. And the cynic in me says it's more to do with them wanting to utilise their back catalogue to sell NES & SNES Classics than wanting to get it 'right' for Switch. They’d be much less appealing gadgets if was all available on Switch!

I'm not sure there would be an uproar if they launched a dual level system where you can either pay for the games individually to own them for keeps, or subscribe to a service where you play what you want for a regular fee. That's essentially how it works across loads of media right now - Xbox you can buy games or subscribe to Game Pass, iTunes you can pay for a track/album or subscribe to Apple Music, Amazon you can buy or rent a movie/TV show or subscribe to Prime. If Nintendo had one ready before the other as long they were upfront about their plans I know I wouldn’t mind and I’m sure many others wouldn’t either. Plus how difficult is setting up a Digital marketplace for old games and a subscription based online system for a company of Nintendo’s size? They’re pretty commonplace these days…
Suits wrote: January 12th, 2018, 3:38 pm Hmmmm, I don’t agree with that no.

It takes a lot to buy a failing console for a few select, acclaimed titles but picking those acclaimed games up on a new, fresh, successful console with a bright future ahead of it seems a much more appealing option.

The install base of the Switch is very close to being larger already than what the Wii U ever was in its whole lifetime. Image someone buying a Xbox One for their first ever console experience, would you not like them to play some of the best titles that were available on the 360 ??
I would like them to play the 360 classics for sure but you’ve proved my point there – ‘I’ would like them to. That doesn’t mean they want to. I also think you’re doing the Wii U library a bit of a disservice there mate in terms of quality – it’s got 101 game with a metacritic score of 75 or over, so it should have had more than enough good games to bring people in. It’s the content of that line-up that was the problem. There simply weren’t enough games that appealed to enough people, which is why many non-Wii U owners aren’t that excited by Wii U ports, and Wii U owners are. Again it’s the preaching to the choir point.

Ah I do enjoy these debates! Not sure you and I destined to agree on this one though Suits! :lol:
Sinclair Gregstrum

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm
Flabyo wrote: January 12th, 2018, 3:43 pm Here’s an interesting read that’s tangentially related to this discussion: 80, 20, 5
Who's writing this blog, btw? The tone is sometimes needlessly condescending.

In any case, I fully understand that Nintendo is running a business and not a charity. I fully understand that I belong to a very small minority of the overall player base. Statistically speaking, I'm irrelevant. I was aware of it the last time you presented this argument and I am aware of it now. But is that enough to invalidate my concerns and frustration?
Interesting read and some really valid points in the blog. I'm not sure it's saying your concerns are invalid KSub and you're certainly entitled to them, as I am to mine and everyone else on this here forum is.

I guess it's making the point (in an occasionally condescending way, you're right) that we all should look at the bigger picture and be pragmatic about our views sometimes. Game devs are money-making businesses, so it might seem like the world is against something they decide to do, but in reality that's only within a teeny tiny echo chamber (like this one!) and the folks they really make decisions for are the massive silent majority. Doesn't mean we can't have fun debates like this one today. We are passionate and we enjoy it, and one of the reasons this forum is so great is because we can have these debates and it all stays pretty lighthearted.

The Reddits and what-have-you's could all do with giving that a read though...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 12th, 2018, 4:57 pm I'm not sure there would be an uproar if they launched a dual level system where you can either pay for the games individually to own them for keeps, or subscribe to a service where you play what you want for a regular fee. That's essentially how it works across loads of media right now - Xbox you can buy games or subscribe to Game Pass, iTunes you can pay for a track/album or subscribe to Apple Music, Amazon you can buy or rent a movie/TV show or subscribe to Prime. If Nintendo had one ready before the other as long they were upfront about their plans I know I wouldn’t mind and I’m sure many others wouldn’t either. Plus how difficult is setting up a Digital marketplace for old games and a subscription based online system for a company of Nintendo’s size? They’re pretty commonplace these days…
Maybe not an uproar but I certainly think it could be messy to say launch a VC service today, to which I buy a number of NES games for, to then find that I get those exact games for free in August when the £20 annual subscription rolls out.

I just don’t think it’s that an important thing to rush out that could give you a headache a few months down the line. Besides arguably I think the inclusion of some of the past ‘better’ Wii U ports are better games than some of the suggested VC titles.

I think Nintendo have gone back to the drawing board a few times, over a few things, in the last year - with the idea of producing a better product. This I think is one of those cases.
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 12th, 2018, 4:57 pm Not sure you and I destined to agree on this one though Suits! :lol:
That’s cool, it’s always enlightening to listen to someone elses opinion, especially so when it’s not the same as your own.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very enjoyable sparring, gents (and maybe ladies, I don't know). A good read.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I am personally pretty chuffed with the ports especially Tropical Freeze. TWEWY is also an intriguing one and for one who likes their JRPGs a bit more unconventional I would heartily recommend it. New Kirby coming out so soon is a nice surprise but I am curious to see if it will top Planet Robobot, that game truly set the high watermark for quality in the series. If Pikmin 3 gets a look in then I will be all aboard the Switch train!

The future for the Switch still looks pretty bright to me and I might give in at some point this year to get one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think that the Switch is outselling the Wii and PS2 in their equivalent first years suggests that its future is very bright indeed!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

It's funny, that Direct was very close to many of the ones from the Wii U era in a lot of ways. Only real differences in the Switch's life cycle so far are that there are occasional heavyweight third party classics dropping here and there like DOOM, Skyrim and Dark Souls, but this makes a HUGE difference for me as a non-PS4 owner. I'd also say that not having to develop for two machines now probably means things like Mario Tennis and Kirby will be more rounded affairs.

Many of the better indie games made it to Wii U so that's pretty consistent.

I think half the reason so many people I know are loving Switch is the 2017 backlog, the portability of the machine itself and the fact they've not owned a Nintendo machine in 15 years, so are rediscovering franchises they loved.

Without DOOM, Rabbids, Xenoblade and some of the Indies, I'd have still not bought one yet as a Wii U fan and owner, but I honestly believe Nintendo will return to F-Zero and reimagine Metroid this generation, now they're focusing their resources.

The Funky Kong addition, recent press statement and Odyssey assist mode also suggests they are going to HEAVILY target kids, with occasional more grown up classics for the adults it seems. If you watch kids TV like I do, then you'll see the Switch on there all day long.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: January 12th, 2018, 8:01 pm I think that the Switch is outselling the Wii and PS2 in their equivalent first years suggests that its future is very bright indeed!
That’s true and is certainly a better start that Nintendo could possibly have dreamt of. It’s incredible and they deserve a huge amount of credit.

Open question to all - do you think in the end Switch will come close to or surpass those machines? Or will it fly out of the gate but lose momentum before it gets anywhere near those kind of overall numbers?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 12th, 2018, 10:53 pm Open question to all - do you think in the end Switch will come close to or surpass those machines? Or will it fly out of the gate but lose momentum before it gets anywhere near those kind of overall numbers?
I honestly think it will depend on both the quality and quantity of its software library. Like the Wii, it had a great head start thanks to its innovative gadget aspect that usually proves more of an initial selling point with the general audience than conventional consoles do. But the vast majority of people who rushed to buy the Wii at launch only played a bit of Wii Sports and let it gather dust afterwards. I think the initial excitement provided by the Switch's portable functionality will wear off after a while, and it's the software library that will determine whether or not it'll have legs like the PS2.

VR is facing a similar issue at the moment. People bought it en masse when it first came out because the concept was so exciting. But the following software drought meant that it quickly lost its mindshare and the tech is well on its way to fade into obscurity again.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I think the Switch is getting a massive audience that I always thought existed in theory for the Vita / PSP but those systems never truly enjoyed. It's long-term success relies on continuous third party support, as Nintendo can't sustain it forever with Wii U ports & sequels.

It's had a great start at least, but the biggest potential roadblock is Nintendo themselves. So many things baffle me about this:

- why is bluetooth locked down so you can't use headphones
- why is online play so underdeveloped, no voice chat, party options
- no achievements system
- the eShop is pretty poor to navigate to stumble across a variety of games without specifically searching for them, games are too expensive, sales are terrible compared to PSN

...these are my main issues so far. Aside from some dodgy joycon issues I've had (ill-fitting rails, springy analogues) I adore the console.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nintendo are delivering an announcement tonight at 10PM UK time, showing off a new interactive feature for the Switch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... experience
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

hazeredmist wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:07 pm It's had a great start at least, but the biggest potential roadblock is Nintendo themselves. So many things baffle me about this:

- why is bluetooth locked down so you can't use headphones
- why is online play so underdeveloped, no voice chat, party options
- no achievements system
- the eShop is pretty poor to navigate to stumble across a variety of games without specifically searching for them, games are too expensive, sales are terrible compared to PSN

...these are my main issues so far.
Do you mean cordless headphones? I guess they'd be nice, but it depends where you're using them.

I agree with you there, but don't think every game needs it - though it would be good for Mario Kart and the eventual Smash port.

Achievements are unnecessary. I'm tired of chasing after imaginary carrots dangling in front of my face. I'm glad they don't have them.

Don't buy digital, so can't comment. The one thing I do like is that I frequently get a link in my news section that links to demos for me to try.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye, all fair points particularly RE achievements, it just feels a bit weird that Nintendo aren’t doing it I guess. I too buy games physically wherever possible, with some exceptions.

Speaking of this, I’ve got Sine Mora EX which I’ve realised isn’t for me, only played a couple of times - does anyone fancy doing a trade?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nintendo Labo!

What the hell is it? Fair play. I expected some Skylanders clone junk or something but that looks pretty bonkers. Never seen anything like it, in fact!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well that is certainly a ... thing... that exists...

No idea how that will do. I’m so far outside the target audience for it, I’m not even going to snark about it any more than that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Not what I expected.

Not what I want.

Dunno, lol.

I’d have preferred a Vitality sensor I think. That said, I’m not 7 anymore, so maybe this will be incredible to little people. Some of the ideas seems cool, I like the way you can colour your creations.

A little red & white Nintendo piano will be fun, for 30 seconds.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nintendo taking budget VR to a new level

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Something totally different. I think it’s great. Not for me perhaps but delightful nonetheless.

Not cheap though, which might be a sticking point for those otherwise keen.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

That is bonkers... and I'm kinda on board with it just out of sheer curiosity.

But then, for the sake of context, the Virtual Boy appeals to me. Not because it worked (I didn't really), but just because Nintendo is refreshingly bonkers.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having watched the trailer a few more times, I'm blown away by the sheer invention involved. How long have they been sitting on this? I also love the prospect that it's now its own series which can run and run. How far will they push the concept? You just know they've got some magic up their sleeves for Christmas. I think they're going to make an absolute killing. It's obviously the cost of a full price game but I think kids are going to go mental for this. I'll be getting the variety pack day one. Total genius. It's not the same industry as gaming consoles, really. There's nothing like it.