The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
magicjoef

Re: Nintendo Wii U - Thursday, 3pm GMT. Details!

Post by magicjoef »

Sorry, might have missed it, is there a UK price mentioned yet?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

magicjoef wrote:Sorry, might have missed it, is there a UK price mentioned yet?
It's another of those ridiculous "The retailers will decide" scenarios like with the 3DS.

Amazon have it listed at £249.99 for the 8GB white model but I heard rumblings of £229.99 so I guess it might change up to the launch.

Simply games have the premium at £249.99 now, Rich might be onto something.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've heard £210/£250 for each version
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Buckled Kipper wrote:I'll be interested to try out the controller as I think proddy touch screen (I'm very technical) is just going to feel very outdated now I'm so used to iPad/Vita touchscreens.
It's not as "proddy" as you think. You can touch and drag your finger on it fine and the surface isn't flexible like the DS one was. I was surprised how good it was when I tried it. It is similar to my daughter's LeapPad.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Well, that seems a reasonable price for it.

I can't really afford one on launch, as I picked up a Vita recently, but one of the things that will probably lead me to getting one in the new year is the fact I've not owned a Wii, or any Nintendo console actually (there have been massive chunks of my gaming that I've only used a PC).

This thing will play Wii discs, and have a huge Nintendo back catalogue from older consoles for download, which would make it a good way to catch up on some gems whilst not missing exclusives this time around.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Xantiriad wrote:
Buckled Kipper wrote:I'll be interested to try out the controller as I think proddy touch screen (I'm very technical) is just going to feel very outdated now I'm so used to iPad/Vita touchscreens.
It's not as "proddy" as you think. You can touch and drag your finger on it fine and the surface isn't flexible like the DS one was. I was surprised how good it was when I tried it. It is similar to my daughter's LeapPad.
That sounds better than I thought then. I never got on with the DS touchpad and feared that this was just going to be a bigger version.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

$350 for the basic pack and $430 for the premium in Australia. That's so much better than I could have hoped for. Preordered.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Well, many of you will know I've not been the biggest fan of Nintendo of late, and when I heard about the Wii U I was less than impressed. And now the hardware specs are out... well.. I'm actually pleasantly surprised! Sounds like the whole thing has been done to give console level performance, picking up on the success of mobile platforms like the iPad in gaming to build a relatively lowcost, low power machine, but with enough punch to knock out HD performance. And for those saying the next-gen MS/Sony consoles will trounce it.. not likely. Or rather they can with specs, but the end result you see on the screen will not be much different. They'll still be limited to 1080P of resolution, so all the whizz bang will have to go on physics and post processing effects. These things are nice, it's why I love my PC games, but they add next to nothing to the actual game experience.
What I see here is Nintendo actually being very clever, creating a machine that delivers well without breaking the bank either for them or their customers, and as long as the USB storage solution is nice and open then I can't see this going wrong for them.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

countstex wrote:Well, many of you will know I've not been the biggest fan of Nintendo of late, and when I heard about the Wii U I was less than impressed. And now the hardware specs are out... well.. I'm actually pleasantly surprised! Sounds like the whole thing has been done to give console level performance, picking up on the success of mobile platforms like the iPad in gaming to build a relatively lowcost, low power machine, but with enough punch to knock out HD performance. And for those saying the next-gen MS/Sony consoles will trounce it.. not likely. Or rather they can with specs, but the end result you see on the screen will not be much different. They'll still be limited to 1080P of resolution, so all the whizz bang will have to go on physics and post processing effects. These things are nice, it's why I love my PC games, but they add next to nothing to the actual game experience.
What I see here is Nintendo actually being very clever, creating a machine that delivers well without breaking the bank either for them or their customers, and as long as the USB storage solution is nice and open then I can't see this going wrong for them.
It will be interesting to find out in regards to the specs. My main fear around that is more around middleware engine use, if MS and Sony provide a platform that supports the latest unreal et all solutions and the Wii U does not, or struggles to, that makes support that much harder. We saw that with the Unreal engine during this gen and all the problems Sony faced. It will not be as severe here, Nintendo have a mid-range PC in that box basically, but I suspect it may be evident in the final reckoning.

This generation of gamer has gotten extremely sensitive to performance issues over the last year or so unfortunately.
Xantiriad

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by Xantiriad »

Spot on Stex. Well said.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I think it's a bit bad that you won't be able to buy a second Gamepad seperately in shops, that if you want one, or repair one, you have to go through Nintendo Customer Service. Can't shake the image of a 4 player game where one person enjoys their Gamepad, while 3 others use their Wiimotes thinking "when's it my go with that?".
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

AndyKurosaki wrote:I think it's a bit bad that you won't be able to buy a second Gamepad seperately in shops, that if you want one, or repair one, you have to go through Nintendo Customer Service. Can't shake the image of a 4 player game where one person enjoys their Gamepad, while 3 others use their Wiimotes thinking "when's it my go with that?".
Why are they doing that? Madness
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

If you have a friend with a Wii-U and fancy couch co-op, take your Pad around to their house with you.

...like the good old days ;)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Xantiriad wrote:If you have a friend with a Wii-U and fancy couch co-op, take your Pad around to their house with you.

...like the good old days ;)
Yeah we did that with wiimotes when it first came out. The pads must be too expensive to make at the moment unless they can't get two working together as yet.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah according to Game Centre, it's because there won't be games supporting 2 pads until "well after release day". Apparently they cost about $150, so we'll be what, £100?

Gaming round a mates house? I can count the times I do that these days with one hand, unfortunatly :lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Wii U will be at Eurogamer Expo! Pikmin 3 confirmed!
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

dezm0nd wrote:The Wii U will be at Eurogamer Expo! Pikmin 3 confirmed!
<- this makes me very happy
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Was a standout game of e3 largely down to it not featuring any guns ;)
countstex

Post by countstex »

Dang I do love Pikmin. One of my favorite Nintendo games along with Chibi-robo.
mikeleddy83

The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Not sure anybody's watching this but there are a few meaty bits of info coming out of it so far:
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star coming to Europe on 7th Dec
  • Fire Emblem Awakening coming to Europe second quarter 2013
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon in first quarter 2013
  • New Style Boutique is coming on 16th Nov
  • Sequel to PullBlox - Fallblox, coming to eShop. Due out in November
  • Sakura Samurai coming to Europe next week
  • Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask out on 26th Oct
  • Guild 01 titles Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden and Aeroporter coming to eShop
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked releasing this year
Sure I heard a mention of Monster Hunter in there too!