The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by dezm0nd »

The presentation of the NES app is sublime. Runs seemlessly and is so much slicker than the Wii U gamepad version.

I just have little love for NES games anymore but here’s to more later on!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

SMB3 is all right.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Famicom Disk version of Zelda is pretty cool mind with the added chip tunes.

I’ve not actually messed with it all myself yet mind.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 11:45 am SMB3 is all right.
Yeah it’s one of my favourites but as a whole, I find it (the NES) really hard to get back into.

Even Mega Man 2, Dr Mario and other NES classics would have a hard time getting my attention when there’s hundreds of other games I’ve missed

Having said that Ivy and I did play then first four levels of SMB3 and then whilst I was on my Switch I tried out the SMO Balloon mode for the first time.

Turns out I’ve not played my Switch for ages, properly. Need to rectify that... needs Smash!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Title updates out for MK8DX, Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

dezm0nd wrote: September 19th, 2018, 4:19 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 11:45 am SMB3 is all right.
I find it (the NES) really hard to get back into.

Even Mega Man 2, Dr Mario and other NES classics would have a hard time getting my attention when there’s hundreds of other games I’ve missed
Same for me - on the whole I find 8 bit and earlier games too simplistic, too difficult and too arcadey to be anything more than a momentary distraction (SMB3 aside) and aren't really worth revisiting as anything other than a curio if you don't have a well of nostalgia for them. I consider even the NES iterations of Metroid, Zelda and Mega Man mostly as primitive blueprints for what came later, which is why I passed on the NES Classic. For me the SNES era is really where console gaming came of age.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Aye, tried every game for 1-3 mins and deleted this.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I thought we were on the cultured and appreciative Cane and Rinse forum. You want The Computer Game Show leds!
;)

I’m only joking, this reflects just how Jay is when he has to find assets for 8-bit games that we so lovingly cover.
Suits

Post by Suits »

All valid preferences, of course.

Personally, I love the 8-Bit stuff. Not always so much in terms of gameplay but more so in character, charm and concept.

Often they are loving crafted by small teams with mighty imagination and limited tech.

They are the building blocks of what we all play today and because of this I find them utterly compelling from the sprites, the chip tunes the box art and names they have.

I love the stories behind them, the original concepts and the lineage everything has.

Because of this, the fact that Nintendo are almost encouraging all Swicth owners to have these games at system level gives people a history of the medium on each system.

The execution might not be perfect but I very much enjoy the idea behind it.

I won’t play them all but knowing that they are there makes me feel fuzzy inside.

More please.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Is there a different set of games on the Japanese service? Because apparently a single EU subscription will get you access to both if you sign in on a Japanese a/c.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Zelda is the Famicom Disc system version, which has a few extra channels of audio due to the systems wavetable audio.

Not sure on actual listed games.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Right-o!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm Is there a different set of games on the Japanese service? Because apparently a single EU subscription will get you access to both if you sign in on a Japanese a/c.
Exactly the same set of games at the mo. I prefer the controllers (and hence the icon!) so checked it out but I'll be excited to see whether there's any deviation down the line.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Right, thanks for checking and letting me know!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Suits wrote: September 19th, 2018, 6:38 pm All valid preferences, of course.

Personally, I love the 8-Bit stuff. Not always so much in terms of gameplay but more so in character, charm and concept.

Often they are loving crafted by small teams with mighty imagination and limited tech.

They are the building blocks of what we all play today and because of this I find them utterly compelling from the sprites, the chip tunes the box art and names they have.

I love the stories behind them, the original concepts and the lineage everything has.

Because of this, the fact that Nintendo are almost encouraging all Swicth owners to have these games at system level gives people a history of the medium on each system.

The execution might not be perfect but I very much enjoy the idea behind it.

I won’t play them all but knowing that they are there makes me feel fuzzy inside.

More please.
I think I'm in broad agreement with you - I appreciate the games on many levels, I just don't think they're much fun to actually play for longer than about five minutes.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think they vary wildly in that regard. Soccer I agree with you, but Super Mario Bros. 3 I could play for hours.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KissMammal wrote: September 19th, 2018, 7:44 pm I think I'm in broad agreement with you - I appreciate the games on many levels, I just don't think they're much fun to actually play for longer than about five minutes.
Yeah, I do understand that and I suppose in terms of this in particular example, peoples mileage will differ significantly.

I've already put some decent time into Gradius and am at my first temple in Zelda.

My wife will play SMB3 for days and I'll mess with many of the others for longer than half an hour.

I just find some of these older games so compelling and am often drawn to their simplicity and difficulty.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I adore Gradius, but for me there’s no real point in playing the inferior NES port when I have the arcade perfect version on PS4.

Balloon Fight is still fun though!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 8:14 pm I think they vary wildly in that regard. Soccer I agree with you, but Super Mario Bros. 3 I could play for hours.
Mario 3 is the exception - that game is a timeless classic. I'm periodically tempted to buy a NES Classic, but back out when I realise that SMB3 is the only game I'd actually want to play for any length of time! And now I can play it on Switch, which is awesome.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Just had my first ever go on Balloon Fight. Really is fun. I think I like it more than Joust! Tecmo Bowl definitely getting more love than anything else so far, but there are some stone cold classics on there that I’ve not really played before and will be playing for a long time, so see this as great value already, despite the slightly shoddy and archaic core service features.

I would like to be able to get the games I don’t want off my screen though - Soccer and Tennis mostly! They really are stinkers, and I’m not sure what possessed anyone to include them as launch titles.