The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jusifer

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Jusifer »

i actually after some research did "import" the Japanese version of disgaea 5 :D bought the digital code version from amazon jp and changed my account to japanese put in the code on the eshop and changed the account back to finish. works perfectly and in full English too! nice that it's not region locked :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

There was a Bomberman R patch yesterday that reportedly improved some issues with the game.

The one that bugged me personally most (I'm OK with the camera) was the controls, they felt too snaggy for me and I found it hard to get around the map effectively - well these have been tweaked.

Although I'm yet to try it again to see if it's been improved.

Here's the patch notes if anyone's interested.

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/ ... news170316
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Isaac is out on the NA eShop. What a game and looks fantastic on the Switch. So excited to shoot some turds on the toilet. Dunno why it's not available on the UK store, though. Kinda bonkers.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm holding out for the physical edition, which comes with a really cool manual.

Full on page by page homage to the original Zelda.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It does look quality but I've decided I'm going fully digital with the Switch. I'll see how that works out once the VC is up and running.

I can also really recommend VOEZ, despite thinking it looked crap at first, and despite a sizeable chunk of the tunes being banging hi-octane K-pop. The lighter songs are really pretty and it's rather beautiful to look at in a way which only becomes apparent when you play. I'm not big into rhythm games but I'm very much enjoying it as it turns every strained crap into ritualistic beauty.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, that looks pretty cool.

I'm a big fan of rhythm games, or rather the Rhythm Paradise/Heaven/etc.. series of games (I really hope they bring a new meaty one to the Switch) but this looks different and appealing.

£18.99 though.

Obviously it's not all as hard as that though - is it ?!?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nah, that's super hard mode. I just play on Easy.

If you want to try it out, it's a freemium job on both iTunes and Android. I did baulk at the price but supposedly, if you were to buy all the songs individually on mobile, you're talking fifty quid. I definitely prefer the piano type tunes rather than the E number-fuelled chipmunk Eurotrance anime whirlwind, but there's something for everyone, as they say.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I really want a Switch, not gonna deny that, but the things people are getting excited about the most echo the Wii U and the Vita a lot, even the 3DS - so much so it's like they never existed.

The power of marketing.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I feel you're being a bit unfair, old bean. The differences between a handheld and the Switch have been discussed many times. It's actually a big deal to be able to take your Wii U Gamepad out of the house and carry on, and to plug your 3DS into the telly - not least because the tech is in a completely different league with the latter. The built in couch co-op is something you could also never do with those devices, and which I used this evening with a mate while we were waiting for another to turn up. I never thought I'd bother with this as anything but a home console, and yet it's really changed my approach to gaming.

Once it has some properly good games and VC, it's going to be even better.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh I'm not slating the Switch at all with this, however there is a lot of "It's great to be able to play this game (which is available on Vita) on the toilet" or "It's great to be able to play in the living room with the wife using the TV (which the Wii U does handily, and the Vita's Remote Play also allows), my point is more that this is actually being marketed very well to illustrate such benefits, things the Vita and the Wii U did not get across to the consumer well enough, and they are the things I hear people getting most excited about.

Of course the couch co-op and instant 2-player options, ability to grab the Switch and dock it etc are unique, but Nintendo seem to be getting the message to gamers about the potential of this device far better than I’ve seen before. Or maybe the market is just more ready for this kind of thing now. Either way it’s good to see and I hope it continues and we see strong sales and good dev support.

…just to reiterate, I very much want a Switch! :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know what you mean Haze. The amount of people I've seen say, "It's amazing - I can play Isaac in bed / Zelda on the toilet' and I'm thinking, "I can do those things too".
Albeit at a lower resolution in the case of Zelda and without the latest expansions in the case of Isaac.
I can't play Breath of the Wild on a train though.
:mrgreen: :(

NB: I too very much want a Switch and will absolutely get one later in the year.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I see what you mean. Yep, they've definitely communicated what this does far far better than they did with the Wii U. Some people were a bit disappointed by the initial presentation because it didn't seem to focus on games, really, but I think that was absolutely the right decision. Not least because they haven't got many games! :p

Taking a bit of extra time to hammer home the concept and application will hopefully pay off. I didn't even realise the Wii U had full 'off-screen play' until some point last year, honestly. I wish I could have got enough range on it so I could play in the bath, though. Just a few metres too far, unfortunately. With the Switch, I pretty much set up shop on the bog, make a morning of it, especially on a Sunday. I think I'll get a little camping stove going, do some bacon and eggs. Pot of tea.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I can't tell you why but using the Switch in handheld mode feels so much wholesome than using the Wii U in the same manner ever did.

It may well be the application that is blinding me on that though.

That said, the speed in which it boots up and resumes where you left off is very, very impressive. Must be literally under 5 seconds.

It's still perhaps a little tough to recommend but I still think it's an impressive piece of hardware with a bright potential.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

It certainly seems to be selling better than the Wii U did, so from a business standpoint it certainly seems successful so far.

And yeah, I'll jump on the Switch-train too later in the year.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Nintendo reconfirmed Xenoblade 2 yesterday as definitely coming out this year. Still highly sceptical of that... Also wonder what it'll offer us in a post-BOTW world given that game takes so much of what made XC so awesome in the first place? Probably an amazing story and deeper combat system.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I heard that a load of the XCX lads and lasses were on world building duty for BotW, which may explain some of the gasps at landscape and so on. XCX took a good while to click for me, I ended up having to read a guide to the systems and mechanics and what to focus on in order to get my teeth into it, and then Zelda came out so I've dropped it. I quite miss it actually, and I enjoyed the combat once I started to figure out the basics of what was happening.

Will I ever go back to it before XB2? I hope so, and yet doubt it. It's going to be one hell of a portable game, though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'd personally love this collection.

The first one on the Gameboy I adore and was about to start the 2nd one on my SNES but will hold out if it's coming to the Switch in June !!

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/seiken-dense ... ced-switch
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Xenoblade 2? Geez... this week alone BOTW and Xenoblade Chronicles arrived in the post... and both of those will probably gather dust on the shelf while I catch up on other games first!
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

By the way there are achievements in disgaea 5 on the switch! they are obviously in game achievements but i hope Nintendo will implement some kind of achievement system as soon as they get the internet stuff working properly
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

On that note, the Splatoon 2 Testfire was pretty successful at my end. I didn't get in for a good half hour into the very first session but I've had a seamless experience ever since. I'm still not totally convinced by Splatoon but I'm pleased with how the online stuff went. My mate told me that I need to give it a fair chance because the first game didn't open up til Rank 10. I probably reached Rank 5 or so and only mildly enjoyed it, plus it made me feel a bit nauseous.