The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I thought we were talking about character design and aesthetics, not anime, so I'm a bit confused.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but it's something I'm a bit weary of. I've been seeing it as far as as when FFX came out and people were making "Tidus is Meg Ryan" jokes.

"Take the opposite as an example - A Japanese person talking about how they like Western games, but said all the violence made him uncomfortable. All this stuff like Mortal Kombat, God of War and Gears of War just won't cut it - they even decapitate folk for god's sake. Why does this kind of thing always work itself into Western games?"

Still subjective. They're still judging something by their own personal standards. I'm not saying someone is wrong to dislike it, I just dislike blanket statements.

The soundtrack to Kids on the Slope is excellent btw. Check it out if you haven't.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ThirdDrawing wrote: November 21st, 2017, 3:21 pm Anyway, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Switch tomorrow. What are some tips/advice you would give me before I buy it? What are extras I need to grab with it - IE carrying case, screen protector, classic controller etc.

Any idea how much it will cost me roughly? (Ball park figure)

I'm thinking of grabbing Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart if I can find them in English. (I'll be buying it in Hong Kong)
Nice! Here's what I got when I put my Switch package together recently:

This case https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

This tempered glass screen protector https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

(nobody here seemed to use screen protectors when I asked, but this looked good to me. I always use screen protectors)

Games wise I've picked up Mario, Mario Kart, Mario & Rabbids, Sine Mora. I'll also get Golf Story.

I get to open all this wonderful Nintendo goodness on Christmas Day :D
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I got Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Zelda and Bomberman.

I have two questions about the Switch.

Is there a way to tell how much charge your Joycons have left? I haven't been able to find one yet.

How do you find your specific friend code (or whatever it's called) to add people to play online?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Settings - Controllers. That'll show you JC power and Switch power.

Profile (top left, avatar) - err, one of the options. Maybe Add Friends or something like that.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Thanks!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ThirdDrawing wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 7:21 pmThanks!
No problem 8-)
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Any Aus people, if you're looking for a Switch JB has them for $399 today only! Perfect time for me to pick one up
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Whippledip wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 10:06 pm Any Aus people, if you're looking for a Switch JB has them for $399 today only! Perfect time for me to pick one up

$399 AUD is definitely a good price.

I kinda caved and went with The Gamesmen deal - Switch console plus Super Mario Odyssey for $484, so geez... :oops: bye-bye money!
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 11:59 pm
Whippledip wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 10:06 pm Any Aus people, if you're looking for a Switch JB has them for $399 today only! Perfect time for me to pick one up

$399 AUD is definitely a good price.

I kinda caved and went with The Gamesmen deal - Switch console plus Super Mario Odyssey for $484, so geez... :oops: bye-bye money!
That's a good deal too. I was going to get one as a wedding present for myself but thought I'd wait for the black friday stuff to roll around, I'm surprised they discounted it that much to be honest but I'm glad I waited.

Which game to get first though?
Joshihatsumitsu

I guess it depends on what you're in the mood for. If there's one thing that Nintendo do well it's first-party exclusives.

There's a very good reason I (impulsely) went for the Switch over the any variation of Xbox One/X, and it's exclusives. More power means nothing without games.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I have joined the Switch train!. I got rid of my Snes mini and Xbox one for it. Picked up Zelda and Mario Odyssey on cart too.

Anything on the eshop to recommend?. Like the sound of Golf Story and Stardew Valley.

Need to buy a SD Card though
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My eldest got a Switch for his birthday last week (because apparently his mum spends far more than I do on birthday presents :() but he lent me his now no longer used 3DS with Mario 3D Land. I've been wanting to play it for ages, and it's not disappointed. Really quite a lot of fun, although it has left me just wanting to play Mario Odyseey now! Good game though, tight levels with lots of interesting mechanics like the red and blue switch panels and stuff. I'm about halfway through the first eight worlds, but I'm led to believe the game opens up considerably after those levels? Enjoying it so far, anyway.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I played through the entirety on 3D Land on a trip to Bruges with my now wife, about 6 years ago. Culminating in her watching over my shoulder as I beat Bowser on the train from Bruge to Brussels on the way home.

I have extremely fond memories of that game.

But yes, don’t worry, you’ll have plenty to do once you crack the first bit :lol: .
Joshihatsumitsu

I want to recommended Switch eshop titles, but my Switch literally just arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'm not going to invest to much time into it yet. Once that 200g SD card comes in the mail (maybe next week) - then all bets are off!

It's nice to have some context to most of the conversations in this thread now!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

So eshop titles... presume that you know about the big third party and Nintendo games, so will focus on Indies.

Thumper - Really tense, tight rhythm action games where you have to pilot your spaceship through these visually awesome levels to pulsating, driving music. The level gets more intense and layered the better you do.

Shovel Knight - One of the best 2D platformers I've ever played is made for Switch. 3 entirely different campaigns so far, with another and multiplayer to come for free next year.

Stardew Valley - Build a farm. Go mining. Make friends. Live a peaceful life in the country. Think Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing with some of the dungeons of A Link to the Past.

FAST Racing Neo - So I haven't played this on Switch, BUT I put hours into the Wii U version and this is supposedly even better. High speed, anti-gravity racing that looks like WipEout but handles more like F-Zero. Tough learning curve but s great little racer.

Rocket League - Sure you all know about this but I'd never played this before last week and I am totally in love. Use a rocket powered car to play football. Graphically takes a downgrade in handheld mode but hasn't fazed me.

Thimbleweed Park - An ode to those classic point n click adventures such as Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island, created by the guy who made them. You play as 5 characters to solve a murder in a Twin Peaks like town. Really amazing final few hours.

I hear amazing things about Golf Story too from various podcasts and own the highly praised Steamworld Dig 2, but haven't cracked into it yet. Wulverblade got good reviews too, a side scrolling beat em up that tells a historically accurate Viking tale. Sure there are plenty more...
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:38 pm I want to recommended Switch eshop titles, but my Switch literally just arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'm not going to invest to much time into it yet. Once that 200g SD card comes in the mail (maybe next week) - then all bets are off!

Damn yours has arrived already? What are these Toll couriers doing out here?! I bought Odyssey yesterday with the expectation that I'd get to play it last night when I got home but was sorely disappointed to find no attempted delivery cards
Joshihatsumitsu

Whippledip wrote: November 27th, 2017, 10:37 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:38 pm I want to recommended Switch eshop titles, but my Switch literally just arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'm not going to invest to much time into it yet. Once that 200g SD card comes in the mail (maybe next week) - then all bets are off!

Damn yours has arrived already? What are these Toll couriers doing out here?! I bought Odyssey yesterday with the expectation that I'd get to play it last night when I got home but was sorely disappointed to find no attempted delivery cards
It's definitely one of the few times that a parcel, from Australia delivered to somewhere else in a Australia, actually arrived in a timely fashion.

Believe me: I'm genuinely shocked too!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Is the SD card really necessary? I've got 4 games installed on my Switch and lots of room left on the HD so far.....
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ThirdDrawing wrote: November 28th, 2017, 5:16 am Is the SD card really necessary? I've got 4 games installed on my Switch and lots of room left on the HD so far.....
Depends on how much you download and want to keep 24/7. Saves are kept on the HD so you can always delete games once you've finished them then reinstall them later on. Some of the recent third party ones are space intense: DOOM, LA Noire and NBA2K18 all would struggle to fit on what comes as standard with the machine.

Recently Amazon was flogging a 128 GB SD card for £33 I recall, so doesn't have to cost loads.

Personally, it's the first thing I bought, even though it was that or MK8. I just wanted the safety net to carry around my whole software library with me.

See how you get on I guess? If you don't need it right now, leave it for now. But check the download specs of the games you're interested in as even buying physical games doesn't mean you won't need to install some chunky patches.
James

Post by James »

There are a few games that are large enough to require an SD card, but otherwise it comes down to how happy you are to delete and re-download games. Data management can get you a long way, especially if you're mostly sticking to smaller downloadable titles and physical copies of the bigger games.

But, yeah, first purchase for me was a 200GB SD card.