The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
xbenblasterx

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by xbenblasterx »

Aside from Microsoft, Nintendo is the show i'm most interested in seeing, how can they keep up or match what they put out last year.

Super Smash
Pokemon
Octopath traveller
Metroid Prime

What else can we expect?
Craig

Post by Craig »

Their last Nintendo Direct was essentially covering Releases up to June, so it’s unlikely we’ll see one before E3. They’re mostly used to push things available in the next few months (with a few exceptions) and they’ve already laid out their broad plans until E3.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:52 am You can probably buy an android tablet that runs on the same cpu for far less than the price of a switch if all you care about is emulation in the go.
This is true, I can do it all on my phone right up to Dreamcast era - struggles with Gamecube though. Still love messing with new things and filling them full of emulators I'll realistically never play, though. And it's got a built in controller, which is far more convenient than syncing my dual shock 4 to my phone every time I want to play something.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

xbenblasterx wrote: May 4th, 2018, 12:32 pm Aside from Microsoft, Nintendo is the show i'm most interested in seeing, how can they keep up or match what they put out last year.

Super Smash
Pokemon
Octopath traveller
Metroid Prime

What else can we expect?
That ever-reliable source of video game news, The Computer Game Show, informed me that Nintendo have no plans to talk about games beyond those being released in 2018.

I don't believe it personally but it's an intriguing thing to have stated. What on earth could they fill their Direct with using only games we can reasonably expect this year? There's no way Pokémon is ready and I can't see Metroid happening. Yoshi, mayyybe? Or are they just going to talk Smash the whole time?

Of course with Nintendo there are probably some bizarre concepts in the works for this year that we don't know a thing about yet - thinking back to Mario + Rabbids of last year!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've no reason not to believe them because it's a very specific (and unnecessary) statement to make if they either walk back on it or it turns out to be a lie, simply to pull the rug with a 'Pokemon coming Q2 2019!!!' announcement. I can't see why they would say it if it weren't true.

Looking back to last year's patterns and timings, it feels like they've been curiously quiet for a good while now. The Smash announcement seems a long time ago and the Splatoon SP DLC is unlikely to bring in any new players. It seems that Labo has done quite well without setting the world alight (though it's probably more of a Christmas present kinda thing) and I cancelled my preorder once I realised I wouldn't use it after the first weekend.

I definitely feel that 'the world is waiting' for some serious Nintendo announcements and if they're going to be focusing solely on this year's releases, I'm expecting some big name drops at or just before E3. While they had the year's releases mapped out for launch, they've not mentioned anything beyond Mario Aces (which doesn't interest me, especially) and I think that's why folks are twitching somewhat. I actually think that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't 'necessary' last year and that another few months of development would have been beneficial for many reasons, not least to give a bit more heft to the first half of 2018.

That said, I'm really loving Tropical Freeze which I didn't persevere with at all on the Wii U and Hyrule Warriors DX will likely be my first musou game so I've got loads to enjoy, on top of the bullet heaven which is 99% of my gaming these days.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

kintaris wrote: May 6th, 2018, 11:37 am What on earth could they fill their Direct with using only games we can reasonably expect this year? There's no way Pokémon is ready and I can't see Metroid happening. Yoshi, mayyybe? Or are they just going to talk Smash the whole time?
Actually, Fire Emblem 16 is meant to release this year, although I'm starting to doubt it due to how quiet they've been about it since the initial announcement.

Then again, maybe their plan is to do a surprise Direct in late October where they show off a proper Radiant successor with mature writing, no grinding and the great Senri Kita drawing the character art, with the whole thing being scheduled to come out only two weeks later, and then Nintendo and I will be BFFs once again.

One can always dream, right...?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nintendo do seem to have adopted an almost Rockstar Games approach to PR of late, in that they’re not really even mentioning games exist until quite close to their release dates.

I think last years E3 with the Pokemon and Metroid announcements is the exception rather than the rule now.

I’m expecting a lot of Smash, and to be honest, quite a bit of stuff we won’t see coming,
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Depending on which rumour mill you follow (you should see the threads on bulbapedia and Restera) quite a few people are expecting Pokemon this year (myself included) Some rumours also seem to suggest a return to Kanto is on the cards.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I have a feeling that at least one of the big games they've only given a teaser for will be out this year. Probably only one of them, but they need a big tent-pole release for later in the year, and it's more likely to be something they've already announced rather than something we don't know about already. But given all we have so far are teasers, it'll likely end up being one that we thought was still a long ways off. Like Flabyo, I'm expecting it to be Smash. Since they're actually going to have a tournament of it around E3 time, that must mean it's very far along in development already. Personally, I'd prefer if it was Metroid or Bayonetta, but those seem very unlikely. Maybe we'll get super lucky and get one of those as well as Smash. My money would be on Metroid in that case.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I would bet my left nut that Smash is coming with the online service in September. I reckon Yoshi will be this year, too, plus one big big name. I don't think it'll be Prime 4, I think it's going to be Christmas Pokemon. They need something colossal along with Smash to hit that 20m sales target which they wouldn't have said unless they knew they had some serious buns in the oven.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I do recall that some of the retail buyers upped their projections after they had their private meeting with Nintendo earlier this month. (If you’re not aware, the console manufacturers will run closed meetingd with the people who buy in product for the big chain stores to secure orders and marketing spend, and it’s extremely rare for info to leak from those cause the info is so business critical on both sides)
xbenblasterx

Post by xbenblasterx »

Stanshall wrote: May 6th, 2018, 7:22 pm I would bet my left nut that Smash is coming with the online service in September.
What's your guessing as to what sort of Smash will we be getting? A deluxe edition of the last one, or a full new Smash title? I think if it's a full new one we probably won't see it this year.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

xbenblasterx wrote: May 6th, 2018, 10:49 pm
Stanshall wrote: May 6th, 2018, 7:22 pm I would bet my left nut that Smash is coming with the online service in September.
What's your guessing as to what sort of Smash will we be getting? A deluxe edition of the last one, or a full new Smash title? I think if it's a full new one we probably won't see it this year.
Well, I only have so many nuts to gamble so frivolously but I really think it would be poor practice to announce Smash in such a grand way and then to reveal months later that it's a port. They've been very upfront with all their other ports/DX releases so it would certainly be a change in approach and one doomed to disappoint the most vocal quarters. That said, I would be happy enough with a DX version because I hardly played it on the Wii U!

If I had to bet, I'd say it's a new game and one hundred percent their major first party release of the year.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

We got the details for Nintendo online!
Cloud saves confirmed! Only for subscribers.
Free NES games with added online play for subscribers.
The service will launch with 20 games, with new games added regularly. Launch titles include:
Soccer
Tennis
Donkey Kong™
Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros.™
Balloon Fight™
Ice Climber™
Dr. Mario™
The Legend of Zelda™
Super Mario Bros.™ 3

The previously announced price of $20 yearly is for individual users. Other accounts on your Switch won't be able to use online services.
if you want to share your subscription with other accounts (either on the same console or different ones) you can buy a family plan for $35 yearly.
Assuming there are no other restrictions, Nintendo Switch Online can be as low as $4.38 a year if you find 7 other people, form a Nintendo Account Family Group, and split the costs. (Thanks Wario64 for pointing this)
Voice chat will still require the mobile app.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

That *seems* like a reasonable price, but until we understand what we're getting in terms of a comprehensive and competent online service I'm still pretty dubious on the whole concept. The Switch is unlikely to ever be a place I want to play games online anyway to be honest.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

“There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night.
https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-is-n ... ku_Twitter

I mean they've already said SNES games are coming too so assumedly it's all gonna be in a Netflix catalogue sort of way.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Does this mean that the GameCube will remain the only Nintendo console whose exclusive titles aren't widely available through digital distribution for the foreseeable future?

Disappointing if so. It's so odd to see N64 and Wii Virtual Console games on the eShop while the GCN ones languish in obscurity. And most people understandably don't want to pay 50+ €/£ for second hand games locked to discontinued hardware.

I can only hope there's a "Best of GCN" line of physical re-releases for the Switch in the pipeline.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Personally, I find this announcement of the Nintendo Online service initially dis-pleasing and pleasing.

The lack of focus on the, lets be honest, non-existent communication functions is something I was hoping to would get cleared up. Whether it was a re-release of the App, or a big change to how Nintendo approach the subject.

I understand that for the majority of the Nintendo gaming republic (probably me) the lack of comms isn't too much of an issue but playing Mario Kart and Splatoon with integrated communications would make the experience so much richer I feel.

Sort of a frill announcement is that Virtual Console and it's traditional catalogue of games, will not exist on the Switch. Hmmmm, little bit woolly that one, as I certainly think we will see games like Super Mario World and Metroid Prime on the system, just in what sort of package/delivery, who knows.

KSub has a good idea with a GC Collection but I don't think that's how it will come out, maybe more of a Classic Mario package, or a Kirby Collection sort of thing, covering a raft of platforms.

Or maybe you’ll just buy one of the Classic Consoles in digital from for your Switch, NES, SNES and with the constant rumours of a N64, or GameBoy version, then maybe that’s how they’ll roll that service out.

It certainly seems like a funny decision from that outset that one.

Cloud backups and £18 a year for the service is the pleasing side of things for me personally. Cloud backups have become a serious contender for me over the last 6 months say, climbing to the top of one of my most wanted features.

As playtime and progress in games increases the thought of losing everything becomes more and more of a worry.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Smash is going to have to be *amazing* for this to work. I think a lot of people will just walk away from Splatoon 2 if there isn’t a very compelling reason to pay the money.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I'm getting Nintendo Online for the NES library and could give a fig about online multiplayer and chat. I'm wondering how much Nintendo's strategy is leaning on people like me.