The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
seansthomas

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by seansthomas »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 26th, 2017, 9:13 am
seansthomas wrote: August 26th, 2017, 8:07 am I'm considering selling a bunch of my Wii U games that I'll likely never play again and which I sense will get Switch ports if they haven't already.

So Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros... maybe Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze too. It'll allow me to rebuy MK8Deluxe and a few Indies. Bad idea or sound judgment?
I'm generally of the opinion that it's a bad idea to impulse sell things just to get some money back. The money is quickly spent and the potential remorse usually only kicks in much later. Out of that list, DKTF looks like the obvious red flag to me, given its status as a high-quality exclusive title. It would certainly make sense to sell Mario Kart if you're planning on buying the Deluxe edition, however.

It's your choice, but I'd advise you to be careful not to corner yourself into thinking "I wish I could replay Donkey Kong somehow..." without any means to do so five years from now.

Then again, I'm probably biased because I'm a collector at heart and I dislike the current ephemeral business model of the industry.
Yeah I may hold off on selling that one. I also dislike buying pre-owned things in general so prefer not to sell games I've bought; I'm of the belief that the resale market does harm a lot of developers, much like piracy does.

But games I disliked like Call of Duty and games on Switch... might get rid of them as I simply can't see me ever wanting to load them up again.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I never get rid of anything but I also don't mind picking up used items.

Interesting how prioritys differ between people.

Sean - Out of interest, what CRT did you get rid of then ??
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 26th, 2017, 9:13 am
seansthomas wrote: August 26th, 2017, 8:07 am I'm considering selling a bunch of my Wii U games that I'll likely never play again and which I sense will get Switch ports if they haven't already.

So Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros... maybe Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze too. It'll allow me to rebuy MK8Deluxe and a few Indies. Bad idea or sound judgment?
I'm generally of the opinion that it's a bad idea to impulse sell things just to get some money back. The money is quickly spent and the potential remorse usually only kicks in much later. Out of that list, DKTF looks like the obvious red flag to me, given its status as a high-quality exclusive title. It would certainly make sense to sell Mario Kart if you're planning on buying the Deluxe edition, however.

It's your choice, but I'd advise you to be careful not to corner yourself into thinking "I wish I could replay Donkey Kong somehow..." without any means to do so five years from now.

Then again, I'm probably biased because I'm a collector at heart and I dislike the current ephemeral business model of the industry.
Seconded... as expected. :)

I still proverbially cry bitter tears thinking about all the NES games and SNES games I sold for a quick buck, to get the next new shiny thing... some of which were never re-released and go for stupid prices in the second hand market now. From then on I've only sold the occasional game to get an 'obvious' upgraded version... though that came back to bite me too, sometimes (Melee - Brawl).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: August 26th, 2017, 10:34 am From then on I've only sold the occasional game to get an 'obvious' upgraded version... though that came back to bite me too, sometimes (Melee - Brawl).
Brawl as an "obvious upgraded" version of Melee? Tears were shed that day! :P

To clarify, I certainly have sold games in the past, most of which I don't miss whatsoever. I just think it should be carefully thought out beforehand. It's the kind of potential mistake which stings more and more as time goes by.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Seeing as though OP isn't much of a collector or building a catalogue I still think it's a good decision to trade up.

With the 2nd hand market being fairly healthy at the moment and freely accessible to all, it works for a lot of people.

Also, well worth considering the fact that if you ever get the itch to go back to something it's relatively easy to pick up past games at cheap prices to re-visit them. There are some exceptions to this obviously but good games sell well, thus there's plenty of them about.

It's not like it used to be, with shops now literally on the high street, holding stock of past titles from almost every platform.

If not, you'll find it online.

Never before as a media have we had it so good regards accessibility to games.

Great times.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yeah I kind of miss certain things about Melee, even though I'm not a hugely competitive Smash player. Thing is, it has held its value and I was a bit rigorous, wiping my 100-200 hours save data. I'll never get that back anyway.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: August 26th, 2017, 10:53 am Never before as a media have we had it so good regards accessibility to games.
That's a moot point. While it's great to have so many digital distribution options and to see console manufacturers move away from the anti-consumer nonsense that is regional lockout, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement in that regard.

Backwards compatibility being thrown away across the board is a step in the wrong direction. The 3DS is still region-locked, together with the majority of older hardware. Peer-to-peer online marketplaces have their advantages, but come with their own intrinsic issues as well. And digital distribution is more restrictive than it often appears at first. This point is not limited to video games, btw. I have the exact same issue with subscription-based film distribution services like Netflix for example. Firstly, it amounts to little more than a glorified rental; and secondly, while the lineup is always being described as being "massive", things start to look a lot less appealing once you start searching for 15+ years old titles. Not to mention all those that keep being stealth-removed without warning. This is one of the reasons I don't believe digital distribution to be a valid and sustainable long-term preservation method. As convenient and practical as it otherwise may be.

In short, I don't disagree with you, but I think that things could and should be a lot better than they are now in order for the medium to grow and to establish itself as a valid and respectable art form.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 26th, 2017, 11:50 am
Suits wrote: August 26th, 2017, 10:53 am Never before as a media have we had it so good regards accessibility to games.
That's a moot point.
Personally, I don't think it is.

I feel that I've never had such access to as many games as I do toady - so for that fact, I feel it's a positive situation.

However the points you make are true, it could be better, as could everything I suppose.

:)
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

One thing about Switch I read in every article or review seems to involve the writer talking about playing the console on the loo, down the park, in a cafe, in between kids bath and books, whilst cooking tea, when the partner is watching substandard TV etc.

I play it on my commute and sometimes in my lunch hour, but I've still not done any of that, bar the last one a bit. Do these people not have partners who would frown upon that? Or kids they worry about misplacing? And if I got my Switch out near bedtime, the kids would go NUTS and want to have a go on it!

Is it just lazy journalism or are you all sat on your bogs right now playing Thumper?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Gotta be honest, I use mine quite a bit as described only in the home scenario. I've taken round a mates once, for a BBQ and we messed about while cooking playing Mario Kart.

I'm working away tomorrow until Friday, so the fact I can take it and Mario Rabbids for the evenings is truly quality.

I use it more the opposite way to what I thought I would.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Places I've played on the Switch:

Bath (foolhardy, stopped doing that)
Shitter (probably one in three visits)
Kitchen (while cooking, waiting for kettle/toaster/instant noodle)
Bed (lowest setting is Blackpool illuminations)
Couch (docked and handheld when Mrs. watching her stuff)
Plane (finally unlocked the D6 on Isaac!)
Train (handheld and tabletop, showboating)
Automobile (long taxi journey, miserable cabbie)
Hotel (docked, tabletop and handheld)
Mate's house (I'm Karen)
B&B (entertained mate's kids on holiday)
Sauna (really stupid, ten seconds tops)
Starbucks (felt like a bell-end)
McDonald's Drive Thru car park (bit depressing)
Fishing with father-in-law downriver (crucial 'me time')
Office (got in early, mistakenly perceived as committed)
Walking to the shop (aborted attempt)
Pub (just kidding, my mates refused)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'm in my final days of a three week holiday in Japan, and from Tokyo down to Kagoshima I've seen many out of stock signs for the Switch. To say it's been a success is a bit of an understatement.

You can find the occasional console in places like Mandarake, secondhand but Japanese-secondhand (so in really good condition), so it's not impossible to find.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've taken it to work to play a bit of Sonic on my lunch break, but other than that its been stuck in the dock the whole time.

I'm not really a 'gaming on the go' type of person.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Worth pointing out that since Mario+Rabbids has come out and I've been hitting the Switch hard for long durations, I've noticed that it no longer seems to hold it's mobile charge anything like what it used too.

I think I get about 3 hours from 100% charged to battery warning notification, where as it used to touch 4 hours when it forts came out and I was hitting Zelda hard.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 10:14 am Worth pointing out that since Mario+Rabbids has come out and I've been hitting the Switch hard for long durations, I've noticed that it no longer seems to hold it's mobile charge anything like what it used too.

I think I get about 3 hours from 100% charged to battery warning notification, where as it used to touch 4 hours when it forts came out and I was hitting Zelda hard.
Maybe there's something about the game that's pushing it harder? I noticed it drained my battery lots faster too on commutes home than Splatoon 2 and ARMS ever did?
Suits

Post by Suits »

seansthomas wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 1:40 pm Maybe there's something about the game that's pushing it harder? I noticed it drained my battery lots faster too on commutes home than Splatoon 2 and ARMS ever did?
Could well be the case actually, I don't think it's that optimised really.

There's a few times, when certain affects are activated, that I notice it chug a little.

I'm not a tech head but I do wonder how demanding performance wise this sort of a title is.

Perhaps there's a patch in the works.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

No-one's talking about the indie showcase Nintendo showed the other day? I guess most of what they showed wasn't too exciting, except for one thing that is. No More Heroes is back!!!! I'm extremely excited for this. Thought it would never happen. The concept of it sounds really cool too. While it's going to be a No More Heroes game as its core, the levels are going to be themed around existing games. Mostly indie games is seems. They have a little cameo of Hotline Miami in the trailer, which seems like a perfect fit for a NMH game to reference and play around with.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yup, the switch is essentially running similar hardware to the iPad Pro, and will have the same variable battery life depending on what you’re doing on it. Some games use more than others, and it makes some sense that the first party games would be a little better at it.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I could imagine the Travis Strikes Again thing being like the Guild game compilations, but with indie devs. Which is interesting as Suda 51 was one of the devs for one of those games.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Grasshopper has put out a press release giving an overview of what the game will be like, and it seems it will be pretty similar to previous NMH games, rather than some compilation like Guild. The game is supposedly "a raucous 3D action title, where Travis Touchdown wields the Beam Katana to massacre his way through countless enemies, taking on ferocious bosses in an epic battle with Badman." Sounds pretty NMH-like to me. There's still a lot of room there to mix things up with the indie stuff though. I can imagine enemies or bosses being lifted from or inspired by their source material. Could also include some interesting mechanical tweaks too.

I think the name might be throwing some people off. It is a bit weird, having "No More Heroes" as the subtitle, but I don't think that means the game isn't going to be a proper sequel. It might be partly to not scare away newcomers, since its been so long since the series was active. It also makes me wonder about the status of NMH2 in all this. This new game is supposedly set 7 years after the events of the first. Specifically that one, no mention of the sequel. With story details of this new game being tied to the first, and it also being directed by Suda, unlike NMH2, it makes me wonder if they've decided 2 isn't canon anymore. Or maybe something got lost in translation, since its been 7 years since 2 came out, so maybe they meant to say this time jump is based on that instead. I guess we will find out later, or if they decide to inform us of whether a certain video rental store owner is alive or not.