The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

While I’ve got my SNES mini preorder too, I’ll believe it when I actually get it!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Because Pokemon is the one true intersection between my wife's hobbies and my own, I have of course pre-ordered the Pokeball 2DS XL mentioned in the Direct as an early Christmas gift to her. It's just popped up on GAME and Smyth's websites, though curiously it's not showing up anywhere else (not even the Nintendo UK online store, yet). I don't know if they have some kind of retail exclusivity or they're just speculatively putting their pre-orders up now.

I'll be slumming it with the more standard 2DS XL, but I am getting the bundle with the Pikachu case on Nintendo's official shop as well as Ultra Moon. It's becoming a tradition for us to buy both versions of the latest Pokemon and play through in parallel, comparing notes as we go. Thus proving that Game Freak's business model of releasing two near-identical games at the same time is still working on idiots like us :)

Mainly though I'm looking forward to upgrading to the "New" 2DS so I can finally play Link to the Past and further my adventures into my alternative childhood.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've been playing Thimbleweed Park on my Switch. It's a bit good! Touch controls work well and also has the options of regular controls incase your fingers are huge.

Funny, intriguing and well made. Definitely check it out if you like Point N Click games or like me, you haven't played one in years! It's got a good "casual" mode.
Suits

Post by Suits »

kintaris wrote: September 24th, 2017, 2:08 pm I don't know if they have some kind of retail exclusivity or they're just speculatively putting their pre-orders up now.
Generally, in my experience Game tend to stick things up as soon as they are announced, or very close too, at least. I'm sure there will be some sort of estimate that they will be getting some stock so get it up ASAP - it's their business I suppose so is a calculated guess.

It'll be up on Nintendo UK's site then some time after. I've not really seem a time correlation, it seems to be random.

Quite often I've reserved a product on Games website, (just in case) and the ordered it from Nintendo when it becomes available from them. Then cancel the Game order.

Worth pointing out too that Nintendo UK has an "Register your interest" section on certain announced but not yet ready to pre-order products, which they then email you the moment it goes on pre-order. Currently its only Fire Emblem Warriors on the 3DS though.

:)
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: September 24th, 2017, 2:19 pm I've been playing Thimbleweed Park on my Switch. It's a bit good! Touch controls work well and also has the options of regular controls incase your fingers are huge.

Funny, intriguing and well made. Definitely check it out if you like Point N Click games or like me, you haven't played one in years! It's got a good "casual" mode.
If the, what seems, never-ending slew of games calms down :lol: , I'll have a look at this I think but I think I have enough things to tide me over until October 27th.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Suits wrote: September 24th, 2017, 2:53 pm
dezm0nd wrote: September 24th, 2017, 2:19 pm I've been playing Thimbleweed Park on my Switch. It's a bit good! Touch controls work well and also has the options of regular controls incase your fingers are huge.

If the, what seems, never-ending slew of games calms down :lol: , I'll have a look at this I think but I think I have enough things to tide me over until October 27th.
I loved it when it first showed up on the Xbox. A real love letter to the old days of point and clicks, but a competent one without many of the genre's notorious design pitfalls.

For those of you feeling bombarded by console releases right now, it's worth noting that the game has an iOS port and an incoming Android version too. Might be something to play on the commute, though I can't say how easy some of the pixel hunting would be on a smartphone.

And thanks for the heads-up Suits. Just need to remember all my pre-orders this season so I know which ones to cancel!
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, the time has come for me to seriously start to consider a memory upgrade on my Switch. I have about 10GB left of internal storage.

Trying to stay a physical as I can when when it comes to my games purchases, there are the odd games that are only digital and there are the types of games that you will always flick in and out of - regardless of time of year of release window. FIFA 18 being one and one that will benefit from being accessible at all times.

FIFA 18 is just over 14GB from what I have seen so I need a card if I'm going to live by my philosophy.

Currently Amazon have a SanDisk Ultra 128GB cards for £40, which seems like the best deal and something that should see me safe for a while.

What have others gone for in their Switch's ??
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just got a text from Argos with a tracking number for Delivery on Friday for my snes mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Guy who leaked that LA Noire was coming to Switch hints that GTAV is too. Which doesn't shock me, but still... wonder if it'll be single player only if it does?

Check out @Nibellion’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/91 ... 47205?s=09
Craig

Post by Craig »

I think they make a lot of money from GTA online, so I’m fairly sure they’ll want to cram it in.

I’d definitely rebuy it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I wavered but took the plunge on FIFA Switch. Take this with a pinch of salt, I've barely played any since 09 but this is really good fun. I've had plenty of online without any issues. Spot on in handheld mode, albeit a bit PS3 docked. Doesn't bother me at all, though. I don't know football games well enough to miss anything.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've got FIFA too Stanshall, I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'll give you a game :) ........, oh - hang on :| .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

In three months once the player base has dropped off, we'll be bumping into each other all the time! :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Craig wrote: September 27th, 2017, 11:25 pm I think they make a lot of money from GTA online, so I’m fairly sure they’ll want to cram it in.

I’d definitely rebuy it.
If that happens I imagine it'll be a separate download, the same way Doom's multiplayer will be. I can't see them being able to cram all that on to one game card.
Suits

Post by Suits »

kintaris wrote: September 24th, 2017, 2:08 pm .....not even the Nintendo UK online store, yet...
Hey man, just a heads up but this is up on the UK store now :) .
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Thanks Suits!

Prime example of why this community is awesome :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Anyone thinking of picking up the Switch Fire Emblem Warriors game that comes out on the 20th ??

I appreciate that it's a week before Mario Odyssey and that may put people off regards a sporadic purchase.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Don't have a Switch (yet), but as a fan of the series, I may end up buying it just to be on the safe side in case it becomes rare and expensive later on. Not that excited about the game itself, though, if I'm to be perfectly honest. I'm sure it'll be a fun Musou in its own right, it's just not really what I'd want from the franchise at this point.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I have no real affiliation to the Fire Emblem characters and have never been attracted to the Dynasty Warriors style of gameplay - so I’ve decided to pick this up in the interest of new experiences :lol: .

There’s a pretty tasty Special Edition available too for a few extra quid !!