Apex Legends

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Apex Legends

Post by ratsoalbion »

Anyone playing it?

Impressions?
dezm0nd

Re: Apex Legends

Post by dezm0nd »

Had a little poke about. It feels polished and good to play. The team only mode isnt ideal for me as i might have to duck out for child reasons.

Having said that, the respawn mechanics are well implemented adding a sense of tension not there in previous BR games.

Having no Titans and parkour feels a bit off first, mainly because it really does feel like Titanfall but i dont think the game really needs them at this point.

If I was to stick with one of them, it'd probably be this one as it feels the best to play, for me.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

This is getting some great write ups and really positive first impressions, certainly from what I've seen.

I've watch a bit on Twitch today it's definitely got me interested! Think this will be the battle royale game to finally get me to take the plunge!

Only downside will be that this will likely kill any chance of a Titanfall 3 if it really takes off, as Respawn won't have time to support Apex and produce a big AAA sequel at the same time.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think the sales of Titanfall 2 probably already put paid to Titanfall 3.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The cynic in me reckons this is testing the waters for the next team to do a battlefront game.

Just sayin.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’d like to try this I think.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m gunna play this.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Which console, man?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Thinking Xbox.

What about you ??
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Xbox for me
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, gunna give this a go tomorrow hopefully with three of my pals.

Would be sweet to get CandR groups going too 😎.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Played tonight with our very own James Carter. If you see me on, don't be a stranger!

Xbox One, innit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm up for trying it on PS4 at the weekend if anyone fancies getting a group together?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The I keep trying to wall run :lol:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Played a few hours last night, I prefer it to fortnite but that’s mainly because the building bits in fortnite are so clunky on console and just don’t feel like they should even be there to me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pleased to see this reviewing so well. Looking forward to giving it a try over the weekend. My only reservation is it seems very focused on team play, having squads of three, so may not be overly friendly towards single randomers playing alone. Anyone tried it this way?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:08 pm Pleased to see this reviewing so well. Looking forward to giving it a try over the weekend. My only reservation is it seems very focused on team play, having squads of three, so may not be overly friendly towards single randomers playing alone. Anyone tried it this way?
I have played it only twice solo. Using RB for comms is quite useful, it seems they have made a conscious effort to make it accessible for people without comms or solo.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Alex79uk wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:08 pm Pleased to see this reviewing so well. Looking forward to giving it a try over the weekend. My only reservation is it seems very focused on team play, having squads of three, so may not be overly friendly towards single randomers playing alone. Anyone tried it this way?
I've won two games with randoms and no voice chat. Respawn have been really smart with the vocal feedback from the characters and the ping system.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s a game design that is always going to be at its strongest when played with friends, but they’ve done a very good job of making it work with randoms. The context sensitive pinging of things (single tap for ‘this is a thing to do’ double tap for ‘something bad is here’) works really well. Ping an item, it marks it on the map for teammates, double tap ping on an open door you can see, it place a ‘someone’s been through here’ mark etc...

You’ll still have the issues you always get with random pickups: players treating it as solo, players who still think the best strategy in this genre is to jump and land as soon as possible rather than actively avoid other players until you’ve armed up...

But I think most of the weirdness I’m seeing in games is just players still getting used to the fact this is class based and the characters do play differently (it’s fairly soft differences for the most part, though the robot with grapple hook seems somewhat op compared to the others)
James

Post by James »

Had a lot of fun with Apex this week. Definitely preferred playing with Dez and Flabyo (without voice chat in both cases), but managed pretty well even with randoms. The tagging/ping system is a massive factor in that; I really wouldn't want to use voice chat outside of friend parties.

My only concern right now is that when I'm matching with randoms, I've been put into a pair a few times. When this has happened, usually the other player has dropped before the match starts, leaving me playing solo against a bunch of full squads. I guess this might be a sign that most people are playing in friend groups of 3.

I'm currently looking for a suitable headset so that I can chat when playing with friends. Though I maintain it's not necessary, I think there are a couple of character abilities that make much more sense when squads can coordinate around them. I'm thinking about Wraith's portal, in particular.

Anyway, I'll be playing plenty, so feel free to hop in if you see me on. Xbox tag: CarterCommaJ