Videogame Deals

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame Deals

Post by ratsoalbion »

Jusifer wrote:presumably civ VI only improved on V. :D
Except it's never that simple.

Some people swear by Civ IV, others believe that the series peaked with III, and others make the case that in some ways VI is a significant backwards step from V!
:)

As with every series, sequels are not always "better".
Dead Space 3 or Dead Space 2 anyone, to name but one example off the top of my head.
macstat

Post by macstat »

That's a huge assumption, and probably incorrect in eyes of some people. Remember that civ 5 have a couple of expansion that only added to the experience, while civ6 is "only" vanilla. So i guess its a matter of which mechanics you prefer, since for example 6 doesnt have ... religion if im not mistaken ?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote:Our local CEX has started selling Retrogames at insanely high markup.

The stock is building, probably because no-one is daft enough to pay £40 for a Dreamcast copy of Dynamite Cop, for example.
I follow some retro game collectors on Twitter and they've been posting pictures of some of the displays in CEX and you're right the prices are high.

Loose scruffy carts selling for £50 and such.

I also saw a Conkers Bad Fur Day for £105.

On a personal, selfish stance - My hope is that this puts general public Joe off collecting retro games and the items remain. Thus allowing me to take a walk into town and have a mooch about with a possibility of picking something cool up at a fair price.

I'll always pay £10 for a spare SNES pad though.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote:
Flabyo wrote:Our local CEX has started selling Retrogames at insanely high markup.

The stock is building, probably because no-one is daft enough to pay £40 for a Dreamcast copy of Dynamite Cop, for example.
I follow some retro game collectors on Twitter and they've been posting pictures of some of the displays in CEX and you're right the prices are high.

Loose scruffy carts selling for £50 and such.

I also saw a Conkers Bad Fur Day for £105.

On a personal, selfish stance - My hope is that this puts general public Joe off collecting retro games and the items remain. Thus allowing me to take a walk into town and have a mooch about with a possibility of picking something cool up at a fair price.

I'll always pay £10 for a spare SNES pad though.
That price for Conkers is pretty consistent with eBay prices too, ie too high.

I'm afraid the days of fair prices for old stock are long gone... depending on what you're after of course.

That being said, when you do hunt down something you like for a reasonable price, it just makes that purchase all the sweeter!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: That price for Conkers is pretty consistent with eBay prices too, ie too high.

I'm afraid the days of fair prices for old stock are long gone... depending on what you're after of course.

That being said, when you do hunt down something you like for a reasonable price, it just makes that purchase all the sweeter!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they price their games by looking at the most common "Buy it now" price on eBay. Which just drives prices up across the board.

If they check the recently sold at Auctions they'd get a better, more accurate, sellers market price.

I have a list that I manage of items I want. I keep it in my phone. Then I just track items and their price. I have alerts set up on eBay for when certain items get listed, I get an email straight away. Most of the time it's the same sort of condition at the same sort of price but every now and then a good one appears at a decent price.

Gumtree and Shpock used to be OK but generally people think they have solid gold because it looks old and has Nintendo written in it.

I tend to get most of my best deals, on overseas eBay items, with the "Best offer" option. I don't make huge savings but I get items for what I want to pay for them - sometimes.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There's a few Megadrive games I check eBay for every now and then that I know have high value, Mega Turrican, Sunset Riders, Castlevania Bloodlines.

Most of the md games I buy I'm just buying bundles of random loose carts on the off chance there's something good there I've not played before.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flybro - Yep, that's a good way of doing things. I often search "***** bundle" sorted by "Newly listed" and "Buy it now" auction type.

In the hope I can jump on something before anyone else see's it.

I spend hours on eBay just running searches sometimes.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Upcoming Cane and Rinse game, Life is Strange, is 70% off on the US PSN store.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote:I spend hours on eBay just running searches sometimes.
I do the same... mostly at work! :o
macstat

Post by macstat »

New humble monthly is up guys. And again with "out of the park" incentive. This time for 12$ you instantly unlock "The Witness" + games to be revealed later (later as in you cant buy it anymore ;) ).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I wish they did PS4 humble bundles, there doesn't seem to be any reason they can't. They could just email you the codes couldn't they? I know Capcom did a console one a while back but wasn't it US only?
Craig

Post by Craig »

There's been a Nintendo one which had codes for both US and EU and both 3DS and WiiU.

It could happen some day, I guess.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote:I wish they did PS4 humble bundles, there doesn't seem to be any reason they can't. They could just email you the codes couldn't they? I know Capcom did a console one a while back but wasn't it US only?
I was thinking about this the other day. Microsoft and Sony could do a humble bundle of all past PS4/Xbox One ps+/games with gold games.

Star Wars Battlefront is £7.99 on psn. I've got it via ea access but wanted to do the Rogue One VR mission which is well worth £7.99 on its own.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

A number of discounts are up on PSN today. Picked up Pac-man Championship Edition 2 for €5 and The Little Acre, following from Leon's interview, for €6. (Also I should play a few Irish made games, I don't think we ever had a big game making scene here).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

In that same PSN sale, Valkyria Chronicles is also available for €8 or your regional equivalent. Definitely worth it, if you ask me!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

For those into RTS Legacy of the Void and the other parts of Starcraft 2 are all heavily discounted right now get them while you can!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Syberia II is free 'On the House' through Origin right now.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Symths has a bunch of game reductions right now (I don't know the £ prices) including Gravity Rush 2 for €40, Zelda TP HD including the amiibo and CD for €20, starfox 64 3D for €10, ROTR for €30, Starfox Zero for €20. Bunch more stuff I'm not recalling.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fairly decent sale on the PSN store at the moment. Picked up Brothers (for PS4, been wanting to replay it), Abzu (been wanting to play that too) and Episode 2 of Hitman (which I loved Episode 1 for) all for £13. Love being able to buy them on the computer at work then having them ready to play on the PS4 when I get home.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Smyths had Witcher 3 and The Order for £10 each the other day