Videogame Deals

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame Deals

Post by ratsoalbion »

Complex licensing issues. Also Sony US and Sony EU are separate entities and Humble are working with the American arm.

Still, it’s easy enough to make a US a/c...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Some fantastic games on sale on the psn store.

Picked up Yakuza Kiwami for 9.99, DMC ps4 for 8.99 and a few vita visual novels. Should have been £130 full price but came to £31.

Bargain
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 25th, 2018, 6:44 pm Complex licensing issues. Also Sony US and Sony EU are separate entities and Humble are working with the American arm.

If I made a US account to buy things, can I then log back in to my UK account to play the games, so that the trophies go to the 'right' account? Or can you only play the game using the account you bought it with?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: April 25th, 2018, 6:44 pm Complex licensing issues. Also Sony US and Sony EU are separate entities and Humble are working with the American arm.

If I made a US account to buy things, can I then log back in to my UK account to play the games, so that the trophies go to the 'right' account? Or can you only play the game using the account you bought it with?
Yes. You make your USA account the primary account which means you don’t need to be logged in to play the games then use your UK account. Unfortunately this means you must be online to use your UK account. A bit fiddly but works well for me.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:23 pm Some fantastic games on sale on the psn store.
I was hoping for Dariusburst! If it isn't even being discounted during the Japan-centric sale, then I probably have zero chance of ever getting it at a reasonable price. :(

But yeah, good sale otherwise. I bought The Silver Case and the DMC Collection + 4SE bundle.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Dariusburst has been on sale before, that’s when I got it.

Raiden V is discounted.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks, I already have Raiden. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for Dariusburst to be on sale again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:55 pm
Alex79uk wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Yes. You make your USA account the primary account which means you don’t need to be logged in to play the games then use your UK account. Unfortunately this means you must be online to use your UK account. A bit fiddly but works well for me.
Ah OK thanks.

As for the sale, I just picked up Steins Gate for Vita for £3.99, there wasn't really anything else that I spotted I really wanted. Loved the look of Aragami and it was really cheap, but it seems a bit more stealthy that I'd like so didn't bother. Didn't spot Raiden V though so might have another look!

EDIT: Huh that's weird. I did buy Steins Gate, and it said transaction complete but its still in my basket and not showing in my downloads list. I'll have to check my bank!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The PS4 remake of Odin Sphere is on sale for a lower price than I think you’ll ever see a physical copy for.

Yakuza 0 at a decent price too.

(And if I didn’t own nearly all of them already, the fact most of Koei’s Warriors games are on sale is notable too)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Plenty of Final Fantasies in that sale for anyone playing along with the podcast, its the usual half price that happens whenever they go on sale. I picked up the PS1 version of FF6 for my Vita for €5 (usually €10). Avoid PS1 FF5 though, the translation is awful.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

So a question for both of you perhaps - I don't have a PS3 or a Vita. If I want to sample a Warriors game or an FF game on my PS4, are any of those on sale worth trying out first?
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Oh boy! Fans can disagree on pretty much every entry in the Final Fantasy series. :lol: So everyone else can chip in if they want especially as I haven't played most of these for over 10 years. I've spoiler tagged the rest of this post as its a bit of a late night stream of consciousness on each of the FFs on PS4 rather than actually about videogame deals. Short story is that I recommend Final Fantasy 9 out of the lot.
Spoiler: show
I haven't actually played any of the PS4 versions of the Final Fantasies but I've played many of them elsewhere. I recommend either of the PS1 games (7 or 9, leaning towards 9). I hear that they give a lot of options to make the games easier in the PS4 version to make it easier or to speed the game up or something along those lines. I'll give a few thoughts on the on the ones that I've played which may or may not help you choose.

7 was the first RPG I ever played. Looking back now I can see that its as mad as a bag of cats but in a way that I like. The dieselpunk-ish setting is great. The story would probably be considered ropey today as it can get a bit confusing in the middle but very good for the time. The characters are an ugly collection of polygonal blocks joined together (thanks 1997) but they're mostly pretty interesting with good backstories (even the Mr. T stereotype who may be the first black character in the series). The actual battle mechanics are straight forward turn based 90's RPG mechanics and the materia (magic) system meant that the characters could be shaped whatever way you liked and you could just use the ones you like.

9 is a bit of a throwback to the early days (1-5) in that it is more of a straight fantasy setting with added airships and machinery but with the sensibilities of an RPG from 2000. I think the world oozes charm and I loved exploring it though some don't like the character design style. While it can be bright and fun, FF9 is not afraid to get dark in places and while the plot is not spectacular it has some neat turns and moments, some of which are cribbed liberally form previous games as it was a bit of a celebration of the series to that point but it works as its own stand alone game. Its still a standard turn based random battle RPG although this time the characters are locked into roles (knight, thief, healer, mage etc). From about the 2/3 mark it does become dungeon after dungeon and that can make it a slog to finish but I like it too much for that to be much of an issue. Again the PS4 version may have improvements that I haven't experienced as the encounter rate was higher than in 7 or 8 and the load times in battle were worse.

10 is a weird one for me. I loved it when I played it (on release in 2002) but I have never felt a desire to go back to it since. This is where the series went full 3D rather than the 3D models on drawn backgrounds of the PS1 games. While JPRGs are usually pretty linear but keep somewhat of an illusion of exploration at times, this one feels really linear, like a bunch of corridors going straight up through the land. I liked some characters then but I'm not sure I would now. It has a tweaked battle system from the PS1 games and is a slight improvement.

12 really shook up the battle formula with battling enemies on the same area as where you explored (like an MMO). I found it felt awkward though, trying to do things from a menu while you could still run around. You party members could be programmable to do what you want in situations. I lost interest in the plot by halfway, I didn't like the main character and I gave up 70 hours in in a big tower with annoying battles. It definitely has some fans though and I have thought about giving it a second chance.

14 is an MMO. I played it because I had never played an MMO before. It was interesting but what I think you're looking for.

I haven't played 15 or any of the spin offs on the PS4.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd say 7 is definitely worth playing, I never got on with 9. It's a shame 8 isn't on PS4 because I think that was almost as good as 7 and had an interesting system for gaining magic in that you basically had to steal it from enemies before you could use it.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

ColinAlonso wrote: April 27th, 2018, 12:14 am ...(A lot of really useful FF thoughts)
Thanks Colin, that's really handy. I think I will be kind to my wallet, then, as I already purchased VII a while back and haven't played it. I was resistant because I know there's this whole undercurrent of opinion that it's not the best, only the most well-known. But if it was the starting place for hundreds of thousands of Westerners on release it seems like a logical place for me to begin.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

As for Warriors Game on the PS4...

Dynasty Warriors 9 isn’t great. I like it, but I’m pathological for the series.

If you like the dragon quest series at all, know much about those characters, then the two Dragon Quest Warriors games are probably the place to start.

If you must have one of the two ‘core’ series, then Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends or Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada are probably the ones to try.

(The best Warriors game for newcomers is still Hyrule Warriors though)

Probably avoid the Warriors Orochi games. They’re glorious fun, but their plots are mostly extended in-jokes and fan service for long time fans of the series. Warriors All-Stars is the same only it also adds in some of the more icky Dead or Alive stuff they’ve inherited from Tecmo.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Flabyo wrote: April 27th, 2018, 11:59 am ...
(The best Warriors game for newcomers is still Hyrule Warriors though)
Thanks Flabyo, I may go with Hyrule instead then. I do have extremely dim memories of either DW2 or 3 on the PlayStation 2 so I'm familiar with the basics at least.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

When Hyrule Warriors launches on the Switch next month that’ll be the place to go I think.

If you can find the WiiU one cheap then go for it, but the Swtch version will have all the DLC from that and the 3ds version bundled in as well (and some new stuff in top of that)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

You can currently get Life is strange life before the storm on disc from Argos for £17!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ColinAlonso wrote: April 27th, 2018, 12:14 am Oh boy! Fans can disagree on pretty much every entry in the Final Fantasy series. :lol: So everyone else can chip in if they want especially as I haven't played most of these for over 10 years. I've spoiler tagged the rest of this post as its a bit of a late night stream of consciousness on each of the FFs on PS4 rather than actually about videogame deals. Short story is that I recommend Final Fantasy 9 out of the lot.
Spoiler: show
I haven't actually played any of the PS4 versions of the Final Fantasies but I've played many of them elsewhere. I recommend either of the PS1 games (7 or 9, leaning towards 9). I hear that they give a lot of options to make the games easier in the PS4 version to make it easier or to speed the game up or something along those lines. I'll give a few thoughts on the on the ones that I've played which may or may not help you choose.

7 was the first RPG I ever played. Looking back now I can see that its as mad as a bag of cats but in a way that I like. The dieselpunk-ish setting is great. The story would probably be considered ropey today as it can get a bit confusing in the middle but very good for the time. The characters are an ugly collection of polygonal blocks joined together (thanks 1997) but they're mostly pretty interesting with good backstories (even the Mr. T stereotype who may be the first black character in the series). The actual battle mechanics are straight forward turn based 90's RPG mechanics and the materia (magic) system meant that the characters could be shaped whatever way you liked and you could just use the ones you like.

9 is a bit of a throwback to the early days (1-5) in that it is more of a straight fantasy setting with added airships and machinery but with the sensibilities of an RPG from 2000. I think the world oozes charm and I loved exploring it though some don't like the character design style. While it can be bright and fun, FF9 is not afraid to get dark in places and while the plot is not spectacular it has some neat turns and moments, some of which are cribbed liberally form previous games as it was a bit of a celebration of the series to that point but it works as its own stand alone game. Its still a standard turn based random battle RPG although this time the characters are locked into roles (knight, thief, healer, mage etc). From about the 2/3 mark it does become dungeon after dungeon and that can make it a slog to finish but I like it too much for that to be much of an issue. Again the PS4 version may have improvements that I haven't experienced as the encounter rate was higher than in 7 or 8 and the load times in battle were worse.

10 is a weird one for me. I loved it when I played it (on release in 2002) but I have never felt a desire to go back to it since. This is where the series went full 3D rather than the 3D models on drawn backgrounds of the PS1 games. While JPRGs are usually pretty linear but keep somewhat of an illusion of exploration at times, this one feels really linear, like a bunch of corridors going straight up through the land. I liked some characters then but I'm not sure I would now. It has a tweaked battle system from the PS1 games and is a slight improvement.

12 really shook up the battle formula with battling enemies on the same area as where you explored (like an MMO). I found it felt awkward though, trying to do things from a menu while you could still run around. You party members could be programmable to do what you want in situations. I lost interest in the plot by halfway, I didn't like the main character and I gave up 70 hours in in a big tower with annoying battles. It definitely has some fans though and I have thought about giving it a second chance.

14 is an MMO. I played it because I had never played an MMO before. It was interesting but what I think you're looking for.

I haven't played 15 or any of the spin offs on the PS4.
I think final fantasy 6 through 9 are the highlights for me.

They are all very different and if you were to ask me which one to play I would probably say 7. It’s the crowd pleaser without it necessarily being anyone’s favourite. I can guarantee you will like but I suspect if you played them all it might not be your favourite.

Does that make sense?
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Yeah, that makes sense I think. 7 has so much going on in terms of setting, characters and plot that if you like JPRGs there is something you'll get out of it.

7 and 9 are pretty much tied for my favourite main FF (FF Tactics for the whole series). I gave 9 the edge on my recommendation as it probably aged better and doesn't have that personal first game in a series sheen that 7 does. (Oracle of Ages on the GBC is one of my favourite Zeldas, for example)

Given that kintaris already owns 7 its a no-brainer for him to try it. :)