Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
The Sonic Mole

Re: Dark Souls I & II

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Alex79uk wrote:Haha I do tend to overuse the 'this is the best game I've played for ages' line. It's funny playing both alongside each other. I'm almost seeing SOTN as a 2D Dark Souls. Obviously it's not, but there are definitely similarities to be drawn.
That's funny. Combine Hunter was drawing parallels between the two on Twitter the other day...

Yes, it's a very special game. It consumes you.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Those two bell gargoyles in Undead Parish are a right pair of bitches. Just can't do them solo - closest I got was with a summoned AI, but I died. Need to go and farm a load of humanity but it seems very scarce!
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote:Those two bell gargoyles in Undead Parish are a right pair of bitches. Just can't do them solo - closest I got was with a summoned AI, but I died. Need to go and farm a load of humanity but it seems very scarce!
Summoning will help. Who do you have available? You can summon both Solaire and Lautrec for that fight. Solaire will appear if you've spoken to him at the dragon-free end of that bridge, and Lautrec if you've freed him in the Parish and spoken to him back down at Firelink. Solaire's sign is hard to miss, but Lautrec's is behind you after you've climbed the first ladder up to the Gargoyles.

There's a Humanity you may have missed up past where you free Lautrec. Roll into the barrel with the corpse in it.

Humanity can be farmed from rats, but it'll take a while. Try the group of three rats under the bridge. Speaking of which, you can farm souls there by running up the stairs onto the bridge and baiting the dragon into breathing fire. 555 souls for the 5 Hollow Warriors the Red Hellkite Dragon kills each time.

Make sure that you've upgraded your weapons and armour at Andre the blacksmith too.

In the fight, you want to concentrate on the first Gargoyle until it's dead. The quicker you take it out the better. Try hitting its tail a bunch of times too, as that will remove its tail attack (which can be pretty nasty).

Best of luck.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, imperative to take Gargoyle #1 out as soon as - #2 appears when you get him down to half health so as soon as that happens, finish him quick!

If you're doing it unassisted there is a sweet spot at 4 and 8 o clock on the gargoyle's body - just tuck in there under his wing and hammer away and he can't touch you. Rotate with him as he comes around to get at you.

That fight gave me a lot of trouble as I didn't know you could summon. Several months later I came across a video where the guy takes out both gargoyles just using a starter bow.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks guys. I was really struggling and ended up farming some rats for humanity and then retried the battle with two summoned phantoms (not AI, real people) and the fight was a breeze! Onward to Darkroot Garden!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote:Thanks guys. I was really struggling and ended up farming some rats for humanity and then retried the battle with two summoned phantoms (not AI, real people) and the fight was a breeze! Onward to Darkroot Garden!
Beating those guys and ringing that bell felt amazing. Need to get back into this.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it was great ringing the bell after hearing it ring so many times whilst in the Parish! I spent 2 hours last night basically farming souls and humanity. Doing the hellkite dragon bridge trick and killing easy enemies and rats. I did it whilst listening to podcasts, and in any other game I'd have been well bored but not this. Amassed over 40k souls!
James

Post by James »

It'll no doubt both reassure and horrify you that, albeit a little later in the game, accruing that number of souls takes about 5 minutes if you know where to go.

Make sure to have your equipment upgraded with some of those souls.
James

Post by James »

A little perspective on what Dark Souls does to a person:

I completed Dark Souls for the first time a little over a month ago. I have since completed it twice more and polished off the 1000G in the PC version.

Today I ventured backwards through Blighttown with my second character (currently a SL46 Strength/Faith build that is ready to face Rogers & Hammerstein... almost) to meet up with Josh and back him up in taking down Quelaag - though he hardly needed it. Oh, and this afternoon I rolled character number three (called 'Caneandrinse') and started on a SL1 run.

I cannot get enough of this game! :shock:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Gaping Draon boss in the Depths is a real pain in the ass!
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote:Gaping Draon boss in the Depths is a real pain in the ass!
The biggest problem is its massive amount of health. Its attacks are generally easy enough to dodge once you recognise the patterns, but watch out for it trampling you if you're close up to it. Have you taken out the Channeler (the trident-wielding enemy upstairs amongst the rats)?

Summoning Solaire and/or Lautrec will help distract the Gaping Dragon enough to pelt it with Pyromancy and whatever your strongest weapon is. Most importantly with most bosses in the game is to take your time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I've taken out the channeller. I think I'm going to have to bugger off back to the Undead Burg for a bit to farm some souls and buy a load of bloody curse remover stones. Those basilisks keep spewing their curse gas over me. :/
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote:Yeah I've taken out the channeller. I think I'm going to have to bugger off back to the Undead Burg for a bit to farm some souls and buy a load of bloody curse remover stones. Those basilisks keep spewing their curse gas over me. :/
You should only have to face a single Basilisk on the main route through The Depths, the others are optional. That said, if you want to do some exploring then Purging Stones are 3000 Souls from Oswald Of Carim (in the Bell Tower), and more expensive from the female merchant. Personally, I was able to back-pedal and avoid curse build-up just well enough to not need Purging Stones, but they are a wise investment nonetheless.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woo! Slayed that beast! It's amazing how much easier the bosses are when co-oping. Just having someone else to draw the attention whilst peppering it with arrows makes a huge difference. And then when the dragon turns on me I start legging it whilst he takes his turn attacking.
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote:Woo! Slayed that beast! It's amazing how much easier the bosses are when co-oping. Just having someone else to draw the attention whilst peppering it with arrows makes a huge difference. And then when the dragon turns on me I start legging it whilst he takes his turn attacking.
YES! :D
Gaping Dragon is one of my least favourite bosses for no reason other than the ick factor. I've avoided fighting it it in most of my playthroughs.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Made a good bit of progress today. Chalked off Pinwheel, Ceaseless Discharge, Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon. About to head into Lost Izalith next. Damn, this game is good...
James

Post by James »

I found Demo Firesage to be toughest of those. Even though you essentially fight him three times, it's easy to be caught by one of its magic attacks for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Oh, and Ceaseless Discharge rivals Gaping Dragon in the Dark Souls boss ick factor charts. Yucky-a! ;)
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:I found Demo Firesage to be toughest of those.
Someone else said they found him particularly tough. I thought he was one of the easier bosses but I may have got lucky. I piled in with my Demon Spear +4 and did him 2 handed.
James

Post by James »

The extra magic attacks for Firesage and Stray Demon threw me a bit. Couldn't reliably find a safe spot to stand behind them in NG; I was much more confident in NG+.

Ceaseless Discharge and Centipede Demon were really straightforward for me. Though I did cheaply take down Ceaseless in the little shortcut passageway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Doh, just got really far in Blight Town then found some water wheel lift contraption, decided to see where it went and fell off to my death! I can't even remember how I found it.

:lol: