Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 30th, 2018, 1:33 pm

ADumican83 wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 1:24 pm
I finally defeated Nameless this morning.
Good stuff, man. Perseverance is key. :)

ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 » January 31st, 2018, 10:45 pm

I just finished my first play through. What a fantastic game. I could criticise a few things I guess but it really would be nit picking compared to the amount of enjoyment I got from it. To think I only started a game going to see how it would run on my PC after picking it up in the Steam Sale for £9.99. What a bargain.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » April 10th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Really looking forward to the Switch release. Will be great to play DS flexibly. Planning to go magic user for the first time in a Souls game. And I want the Solaire amiibo!

arry_g

Post by arry_g » April 18th, 2018, 7:29 pm

It's a shame that the Switch version has been delayed but hopefully it leads to a better experience.

I'll probably get the game on both PS4 and NS, PS4 works better for friends and I'm interested in the graphical improvements, Switch because the idea of playing Dark Souls away from the sofa or desk is SO appealing right now.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 18th, 2018, 8:57 pm

I'm tempted by the PS4 version, but I think I'll hold off until I eventually get a Switch and play that one instead. The thought of the full Dark Souls experience on handheld is just too appealing.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 30th, 2018, 12:45 am

Interesting experience replaying the first Dark Souls - Between the slow combat, obscure level design and thick atmosphere, I'm surprised how much closer it is to Demon's Souls than to the rest of the series, especially BB and DS3.

I'm also in the sweet spot in that my last playthrough was far enough away that a lot of details are feeling fresh again, but without ever getting genuinely stuck or having to look anything up. I'm playing a DEX/FTH hybrid build because I apparently hate myself.

I plan on replaying DS3 shortly afterwards. Let's see if that game's often maligned aspects become more apparent to me this time around in direct juxtaposition with the original.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » June 30th, 2018, 8:22 am

The movement speed felt so slow to me this time round, even running with no armour felt like moving through treacle. I don’t know whether this was conditioning from the latter two games being much ‘faster’ to play.

My playthrough also brought home the vast difference between the first and second halves of the game. There is too much of a reliance on environmental effects imo. Darkness in Tomb of Giants, lava in Lost Iz, invisible walkways up top etc.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 30th, 2018, 8:52 am

Chopper wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 8:22 am
The movement speed felt so slow to me this time round, even running with no armour felt like moving through treacle. I don’t know whether this was conditioning from the latter two games being much ‘faster’ to play.
Has to be. And the Estus chugging is sooo slow, too!
Thankfully, the enemies are really slow as well and much less of a threat in comparison to the various hyperactive Sonic the Hedgehog wannabes in BB.

I'm still in the first half, taking my sweet time as always. The environmental traversal is truly fantastic, isn't it? The Darkroot Garden is definitely one of the very best locations in the series. I decided to go fight Sif early (before Capra and The Depths), and carefully progressing through this vast, dark and beautiful environment while being ever so slightly under-leveled brought back some of the feelings of my very first playthrough.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » June 30th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Yes, the traversal is a delight. There is the issue of it being a bit too easy due to familiarity, but as you mention, you can recapture that old Souls feeling though being under levelled :)

Oh, and the estus drinking got me killed so many times!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 10th, 2018, 1:51 pm

The Peaks and Valleys of traversing Lordran

I've lost every single one of the 25+ times I've been invaded. I'm nothing without my Claymore, I don't understand the weird broken builds people go for and those dastardly backstabs are always coming out of nowhere. :(

I've defeated Ornstein & Smough, Four Kings, Nito, Artorias and Kalameet all on my first try. Speaking of Kalameet, I've also been sunbroing like crazy and helped at least 5 people get the tail cut on that slippery lizard. :P

James

Post by James » July 15th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Well done on that tail cut. It’s no mean feat!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 26th, 2018, 11:32 am

Since I'm currently replaying some of these games, here are my thoughts on the way they compare to one another. Not as a simple boring list, but as the different ways each specific game excels at. (Because clearly, the internet needs more Souls-themed discussions.) Spoilers, obviously.

Demon's Souls
  • Best Atmosphere
I feel like Demon's Souls has been improved upon in almost every other aspect, but its signature sense of adventure, isolation and dread is still unmatched for me, with only Dark Souls coming close to it at times. Whereas the other games tend to end in bombastic and empowering boss battles, Demon's Souls remains opaque, inhospitable and confusing until the very end. The deck is stacked against you in this one, now and forever.

Personal highlights: Boletarian Palace, the noticeable differences in sound design between Body Form and Soul Form, the delightfully anti-climactic final boss.

Dark Souls
  • Best World Design
  • Best Lore
  • Best Traversal
  • Best NPCs
Replaying it recently reminded me of how wonderful the traversal is in the first half of this game. The world manages to feel like a lived in place instead of a quick succession of video game levels. The lore is at its most simple and potent here, and the various NPCs are simply dripping with tragic charm and personality.

Personal highlights: New Londo Ruins, Painted World of Ariamis, seeing a pair of eyes loom over you out of the pitch darkness in Tomb of the Giants, arriving back at Firelink Shrine after Blighttown, Hawkeye Gough one-shot no-scoping that loser Kalameet, Knight Artorias battle, saving Sif (the beauty of Life), fighting Sif (the tragedy of Death), Gwyn soundtrack, getting invaded + losing 100k Souls + swearing off the game for all eternity + popping it back in 15 minutes later.

Dark Souls 2
  • Best Build Variety
  • Best Multiplayer
HEX builds are simply fantastic. Giving the magic path the equivalent of a quality build sounds like a complete no-brainer and yet it has inexplicably never been better implemented than in this one. No, the half-baked physical spells in AotA don't count. Power stancing is neat and the multiplayer options are very nice, if that's your thing.

Not a huge fan of DS2 overall, but it certainly has its strengths.

Personal highlights: Darklurker, the massive quality improvement in the DLCs.

Dark Souls 3
  • Best Level Design
  • Best Bosses
  • Best Soundtrack
  • Best Covenants
  • Best Health Mechanic
Level design and bosses are the two most important aspects of the series for me, and this game delivers on both fronts. Which is probably why I hold it in higher reward as most other fans, although I definitely understand the criticisms aimed towards it. Also, the soundtrack is stellar and the Estus system has never been better balanced.

Personal highlights: Stumbling upon Irithyll of the Boreal Valley for the first time, Untended Graves, The Ringed City, the two different soundtracks for Firelink Shrine, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Twin Princes, Nameless King, Sister Friede, Darkeater Midir, Slave Knight Gael, getting emotional over the end (?) of the series.

Bloodborne
  • Best Combat
  • Best Setting
  • Bets Hub
  • Best Character & Costume Design
  • Best Unique Mechanic (Insight)
The fast-paced combat is excellent and I love just how wonderfully distinct every weapon feels in this one. But it's the setting that really seals the deal. Medieval fantasy stories are a dime a dozen (although most don't come close to the world design of Dark Souls for my money), but a Victorian-era werewolf fiction undergoing a thematic change into full-fledged Lovecraftian eldritch horror at the mid-way point is simply a marvel to behold. World Tendency and Dark Sigils are nice, but the Insight mechanic is a stroke of genius and one of the best implementation of an "organic" plot twist I've ever witnessed in the medium.

Personal highlights: Smashing fools with the Kirkhammer, landing a life-saving backstab mid-battle, fighting Father Gascoigne, chasing Micolash, performing a visceral attack on Ebrietas, looping back to Iosefka's Clinic from the Forbidden Woods, "Aah, you were at my side, all along. My true mentor... My guiding moonlight...", the first Insight-related mind-screw, everything about Lady Maria, seeing the Hunter's Dream on fire, "Oh, good Hunter...", receiving a love mail for helping a random defeat Ludwig after a dozen tries.

Thoughts? :)

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 27th, 2018, 8:50 am

Can't argue too much with any of that, though I haven't replayed DS3 or Bloodborne yet; they were put down as soon as the fire was lit/whatever that carry on with Gehrman was. I suspect that DS3 is actually my favourite of the Dark* games but I need to go back to be sure. I loved the callbacks to DS1 in there. So funny to be hit with sadness/nostalgia for those horrible Spider-Ladies :lol:

The games do so much right that it's possible to have a list of best things about them that is significantly different to yours above, and still enjoy them. For example I don't give a fig about lore, multiplayer, or difficult boss battles (one of the reasons I like Demon's best is that it wasn't afraid to put 'trivial' or different boss fights in there), but I still love the games.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » August 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm

We're not seeing Dark Souls on Switch until Christmas, are we?

Suits

Post by Suits » August 14th, 2018, 9:02 am

Nupraptor wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm
We're not seeing Dark Souls on Switch until Christmas, are we?
There was a listing on an European Amazon site that stated August 31st.

I would certainly hope it comes out before Christmas, not because I personally want it but because of the fuss Nintendo made about - they will look a bit silly.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » August 14th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Fingers crossed. If this goes on too long, I may turn hollow! (Crestfallen laugh)

Suits

Post by Suits » August 14th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Nupraptor wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 2:29 pm
Fingers crossed. If this goes on too long, I may turn hollow! (Crestfallen laugh)
Here we are fella, coincidentally Bandai Namo have just announced the new release date - October 19th.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... lease-date

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » August 14th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Yes! Just spotted it. Rather pushes the definition of "summer", but hopefully the wait will have been worth it and they'll have ironed out all the (chaos) bugs!