Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
seansthomas

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by seansthomas » January 13th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Suits wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm
ratsoalbion wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm
Sub £40 at base.com: https://www.base.com/buy/product/dark-s ... -dsrns.htm
That's a very good price, considering it's still 4 months away from release.

Having not played the first game, I'll certainly be paying through face for it when it arrives on Switch.
Indeed, just ordered that! No idea if the order will process though as my card expires the month beforehand. Will see what happens...

I've ordered from there before apparently. Don't recall when?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 15th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Got about ten hours in to Dark Souls 3 so far, and liking it a lot. The cursed tree boss was a pain in the ass, my only sticking point so far, but got him down after about six tries. Unsure where I need to head after defeating him though, I've totally explored the area and can't find a path onwards. I've spoken to the giant archer and we've made friends, too.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Do you remember the tower where you first met Siegward? Take the lift down to the lower level and proceed from there. There will be a semi-dangerous enemy waiting for you, so be careful.

Beck

Post by Beck » January 15th, 2018, 1:57 pm

The lift that took you up to the archer can only move down and then up but will reset position if you use a bonfire. If you are hitting the lift and it takes you up to the archer then you won't be able to get to the next area without the following trick.

Warp to the nearest bonfire. Get to the tower and hit the switch to take you up, do not hit the switch to go back down. At the top of the tower use a homeward bone to take you back to the shrine. Warping back to the shrine will move the lift back to the middle position. Warp back to the nearest bonfire again and then get back to the lift, when you click the switch this time you will go do rather than up and be able to proceed.

As KSub said, be careful. Man I love Dark Souls 3.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I don't remember it being that complicated... Can't you just step on the lift to make it go up, but jump off of it immediately and take the lower lift that arrives afterwards?

Beck

Post by Beck » January 15th, 2018, 2:08 pm

You're method sounds a hundred times easier than mine! If there is a lever then that will work a treat.

It's worth nothing that if you go up and past the area with the fatties, you can drop down into another tower with some goodies in it. You'll need a couple estus for the fall damage.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I've been using this strategy since the first Dark Souls. I had no idea this was a controversial topic! :lol:

Beck

Post by Beck » January 15th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Haha, saved me a homeward bone ;) thanks 😂😂😂

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Aah thanks guys! Yeah now you mention it, that bumbling fool was on about the lift only being able to go down!

Incidentally, where does this game fit in the Dark Souls time line? I'd assumed it was after, but then the inclusion of the onion Knight (who should be dead?) made me think twice. Also, Firelink Shrine almost seems like its an old version before it became ruins in the first game, so now I'm not sure!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Incidentally, where does this game fit in the Dark Souls time line? I'd assumed it was after, but then the inclusion of the onion Knight (who should be dead?) made me think twice.
First, keep in mind that "Time in Lordran is convoluted", so there may not be a clear-cut Dark Souls timeline like you have in other series. With that being said, Dark Souls 3 is indeed meant to be set at a certain point after the events of the first Dark Souls, at least.

Second, Siegmeyer from Dark Souls and Siegward from Dark Souls 3 are actually two different characters, despite the obvious (and intended) similarities.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Aaaah I didn't catch that! I'd thought he was the same chap. I let out an audible cheer when he came up on the lift!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 27th, 2018, 11:23 am

I had a day off yesterday and managed to put a few more hours in to Dark Souls 3.

I reached and beat the boss of the Cathedral Of The Deep, and pressed on to Farrons Keep, eventually reaching the boss and...
Spoiler: show
...thinking I'd beaten him fairly easily before he transformed in to an incredibly difficult fire sword wielding maniac! Only had a couple of goes at him and not managed to beat him yet.

Met up with Patches - the complete arse has stolen onion mans armor, so I'm going to run my sword through him next time I'm back at Firelink.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that unless the game takes a sharp turn towards the middle and end, I think it might actually be a better game that Dark Souls 1. It's already climbed higher than Dark Souls 2 for me, and nothing will ever replace the sheer mystery of my original playthrough of the first game but I can see that mechanically this is superior. Just absolute first class gameplay, enemy design, world design, it's got everything.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 27th, 2018, 3:21 pm

My main issue with Dark Souls 3 is that it is the only Soulsborne game which doesn't really stand alone, to my eyes. It relies on the existence of the other games in every way and doesn't have anything to say which the other games haven't already said. It's leans on recycled lore, assets, areas, NPCs and as much as I enjoyed a nippier Souls after Bloodborne, there is a real lack of build variety compared to the first two games. It's kind of like a greatest hits album. It might be all killer but it has no inherent character of its own.

I've played through it I don't know how many times but the best playthroughs were on the Japanese version because I imagined so much fantastic lore and reasons for various links with the other games. It turned out it was little more than 'hey, remember this?'

It's gorgeous, the combat is very fluid (especially on the Pro), there are some fantastic areas but I can't remember anything about the base game which wasn't indebted to the rest of the series in some way, or weirdly (lazily) explicit in its references to Berserk, the manga. Having recently read all of Berserk, it actually made me think even less of DS3 (and Bloodborne, for that matter) because so so much visual design was simply copied from it, rather than used (mostly) as a springboard for inspiration, as with Demon's and the first Dark Souls.

DS2 gets a lot of flak but it dares to completely break away from the world of DS1 (and, visually, from Berserk) and it's probably the most varied and unusual in the series for that reason. Its themes are moving and it has a cohesive, direct message, and it feels perfectly standalone. Dark Souls is the best but I would more likely go to the barricades for DS2.

Todinho

Post by Todinho » January 27th, 2018, 3:54 pm

I said this after beating again late last year that despite the community lukewarm response to it DS3 is the best game in the series for sure but what Stanhall said is certainlly true and a big reason why people werent taken by as they maybe would if they judged it in isolation,

ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 » January 28th, 2018, 8:49 am

I'm up to the Nameless King and I just feel like I'm never gonna beat him. I'm fine with the first stage but that secons stage is ruining me every time. Anybody got any advice on strategies, gear/ equipment etc?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » January 28th, 2018, 9:20 am

It’s been a long time but...
...I think he’s pretty easy to tank if you have the right gear. If you’ve dealt with Dragonslayer Armour on the tower then you can craft his lightning resistant shield. I have it recorded on my ps4 I think, so I can check but am not back till tonight.

Hmm, swiftkey knew ‘Dragonslayer’ without prompting, what’s going on there :)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 28th, 2018, 11:04 am

ADumican83 wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 8:49 am
I'm up to the Nameless King and I just feel like I'm never gonna beat him. I'm fine with the first stage but that secons stage is ruining me every time. Anybody got any advice on strategies, gear/ equipment etc?
His second phase is very aggressive, so a good Lightning-resistant shield / armor does make a difference. He is also weak to Fire and Dark attacks, so maybe consider using consumable buffs if your weapon is compatible?
Alternatively, you can always summon help if he proves insurmountable. Unless you're like me and your pride doesn't allow it! :P

Chopper

Post by Chopper » January 28th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Well, I've had a look and I don't know if I can recommend my method. It involves tanking with loads of health, that shield, and totally inappropriate armour and weapons :)

I did summon someone on this one but they were killed early on.

MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer » January 30th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Stanshall wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 3:21 pm
My main issue with Dark Souls 3 is that it is the only Soulsborne game which doesn't really stand alone, to my eyes.
The more time that passed after playing through Dark Souls 3, the more I came to appreciate Dark Souls 2 for this very reason. The second game has some issues but one of the biggest ones for me is the couple almost copy pasted bosses from the first game. It felt very lazy. Then enters the third game where the main beats of the game follow the first not to mention removing some very nice mechanics from the second for seemingly no reason. Too much of it seemed to scream, "remember Dark Souls 1?!" At least the second was largely its own thing in the end.
Chopper wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 5:57 pm
Well, I've had a look and I don't know if I can recommend my method. It involves tanking with loads of health, that shield, and totally inappropriate armour and weapons :)
Nameless King was the point I said screw it. After several deaths beyond the half way point, I resorted to "that". Havel's Shield went up and proceeded to beat him down easily immediately after that. Sometimes all you need is a good turtling.

ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 » January 30th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I finally defeated Nameless this morning. A few times I had him to within a single hit before he'd kill me. Then I finally did it. Dragonslayer Shield equipped and then it was a case of managing my stamina and getting the odd hit in when I could. It was such a relief. I was really starting tonfall out with the game at that point. A bit like how I felt with Ornstein amd Smough. I know Nameless is optional but I couldn't leave it.