The Shenmue trilogy

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: E3 2015 - Conference times, news and hype (!)

Post by Todinho »

I dont know if this has been said here already but I think it's pretty much confirmed that the kickstarter for Shenmue 3 is only to see if there's really a market for the game and Sony is fronting most of the bill that's why the game's gonna be Ps4 and PC only.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Shenmue, Shenmue II and the future of Shenmue

Post by ratsoalbion »

Of course, but surely the budget will still only be a fraction of the originals. Not that that's to say III can't be something approaching the experience that the fans what, just that expectations probably need to be tempered.
chase210

Re: The Shenmue trilogy

Post by chase210 »

I don't mind them fronting the bill (I did donate to the kickstarter) long as we get a retail disc :p
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

chase210 wrote:I don't mind them fronting the bill (I did donate to the kickstarter) long as we get a retail disc :p
I'd be surprised if it was a disc release much as I would like it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

James

Post by James »

I agree, dodging questions doesn't really fly when you're asking for public support. To me, it seems like there's a big gap, yet to be bridged, between the usual, controlled development and PR methods of publisher-funded games and the more open, public-facing attitude expected by people pledging through Kickstarter. Developers like Yu Suzuki and Koji Igarashi are used to completely internal funding and development conversations, with any public exposure being limited (in one way or another) to advertising.

It seems obvious that Shenmue III isn't going to be the Kickstarter project to bridge this gap, however, being as it is now north of its 150% funding mark in spite of any reservations some have raised over the remaining funding: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3.

That goes doubly for Bloodstained, which was funded at more than 1100% of its initial funding target!
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

What are the chances of the original two games getting a re release along with the third entry? I've sadly never had the chance the play the originals.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My understanding is that those belong to SEGA still, so it'd be up to them. If this third game does well, I expect they'll do it though.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Really vague Shenmue news to get irrationally excited about everyone :D
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/shemue-1 ... ds/0158052
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Sega are investigating how to make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD a reality. Cool, seems silly to miss the opportunity.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sega are on a roll of late, I wouldn't expect them to mess it up however they do it. You should really get on board with yakuza if you haven't 6 looks like a dream!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

New screenshots! It looks pretty rough.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Can't argue with that, it doesn't look great. However, as someone who's not had any history with the series, I can only make a guess that the fans won't care about that too much. I'm slightly interested in the prospect of the first two games being re-released though - surely that is inevitable. I'm interested to see what all the fuss was about, having only ever played the first game briefly in the past.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm thinking they should just go all in and give us a Dreamcast physical release while they're at it! :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They all seem to have oddly squashed faces. Like it's a 4:3 face stretched to widescreen...

:lol:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ve never played any of the trilogy but pledged in a pretty big way for the third game during my kickstarter addiction year!

I’ve got a copy of the second game on Xbox but don’t have any way of playing the original beyond either getting hold of a Dreamcast or emulating it. I’m historically pretty against this unless the game is impossible to get hold of.

I know what’s going to happen is that I’ll fork out for a Dreamcast and the game then the following day they will announce the HD remake.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

chase210 wrote: June 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm I don't mind them fronting the bill (I did donate to the kickstarter) long as we get a retail disc :p
I thought that had already been confirmed.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: February 25th, 2018, 7:50 pm
chase210 wrote: June 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm I don't mind them fronting the bill (I did donate to the kickstarter) long as we get a retail disc :p
I thought that had already been confirmed.
It probably is, that post is nearly 3 years old (god doesn't time fly)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

chase210 wrote: February 25th, 2018, 3:05 pm New screenshots! It looks pretty rough.

I must be a weirdo as it just looks like Shenmue to me?.

Wish we would get a release date