Official Video Game Guides & Art Books

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Official Video Game Guides & Art Books

Post by Alex79 »

Waterstones actually carry a decent selection of video game books in my town. For some reason they put them with the graphic novels but they've had Halo and Zelda stuff in there before I always thumb through before standing and reading batman books!
Suits

Post by Suits »

The Artwork of Overwatch looks rather glorious.

And has a rather generous discount on at the moment too.....

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Overwatch-Li ... 1506705537
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, in the UK Amazon looks to be the best place to pick that up too, it's £15 or so cheaper than RRP.

My copy hopefully arrives before the weekend.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nice, looks like a hell of a nice piece of work that book.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Has anyone got the Bloodborne art book? I think it's half in English half in Japanese. It looks a bit smaller than the Souls Design Works books so just wondering whether it's worth the cost.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: October 31st, 2017, 3:21 pm Has anyone got the Bloodborne art book? I think it's half in English half in Japanese. It looks a bit smaller than the Souls Design Works books so just wondering whether it's worth the cost.
Do you mean the Official Artworks? If so, check last page...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 31st, 2017, 3:50 pm
Stanshall wrote: October 31st, 2017, 3:21 pm Has anyone got the Bloodborne art book? I think it's half in English half in Japanese. It looks a bit smaller than the Souls Design Works books so just wondering whether it's worth the cost.
Do you mean the Official Artworks? If so, check last page...
Where I already replied to your post... :oops:

I'm losing it. Thanks for the reminder!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Very happy to report that The Art of Overwatch is definitely worth buying. Great print quality, fantastic artworks, and full of interesting tidbits of information. One of the very best coffee table books in my collection.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I know the thread says Official but my Unofficial SNES/Super Famicom Compendium arrived yesterday from Bitmap books.

This was a book that I Kickstarted back in last summer and it's wonderful, it’s a 500+ page book filled with key games, full page screen shots, interviews with developers and other 16-BIT Super Nintendo stuff.

I’ve got the hardback edition with the hard box sleeve and I backed it a level where I could get my name included in the back, although I eventually went with my new-born Son’s name, who has my middle name anyway, so technically we’re both in the book :lol: .

Its similar to the NES version and is in fact numbered 5 in the Bitmap books series, well worth a look if anyone has the chance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... =user_menu#
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: January 17th, 2018, 9:00 am I know the thread says Official but my Unofficial SNES/Super Famicom Compendium arrived yesterday from Bitmap books.

This was a book that I Kickstarted back in last summer and it's wonderful, it’s a 500+ page book filled with key games, full page screen shots, interviews with developers and other 16-BIT Super Nintendo stuff.

I’ve got the hardback edition with the hard box sleeve and I backed it a level where I could get my name included in the back, although I eventually went with my new-born Son’s name, who has my middle name anyway, so technically we’re both in the book :lol: .

Its similar to the NES version and is in fact numbered 5 in the Bitmap books series, well worth a look if anyone has the chance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... =user_menu#
I got mine yesterday too and it is lovely. I have the spectrum one too so the only issue I have is the numbers 3 and 5 on the side, they are not doing my OCD any good! :P

I received the Horizon Zero Dawn Art book for my birthday recently and it is great to flick through. Some great detail on the design of Aloy. If I had one criticism it would be that I would have liked more individual sections on the machines eg a section on Behemoths and Stalkers etc
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I was going to post this last year, but couldn't find the tread at the time ( :oops: ), but I picked up Batsugun: Truth Story Batsugun by Junya Inoue (ISBN: 978-4-19-864470-3):

I feel like if you are the sort of person who thinks they'd want to get this, then track it down. It was released in September 2017, so it's still pretty recent. I got my copy through CDJapan.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very cool indeed.

I got the Zelda: Art and Artifacts book for Christmas from my Mum and it is a stunner. Twice as thick as Hyrule Historia which I wasn't expecting!

I also got this one from my girlfriend, which is essential for SF fans I'd say:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Undisputed-Str ... 1524104663
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 17th, 2018, 9:35 pm I got the Zelda; Art and Artifacts book for Christmas from my Mum and it is a stunner. Twice as thick as Hyrule Historia which I wasn't expecting!
Only tangentially related, but as someone who is far from a hardcore Zelda fan, the incredible quality of these coffee table books is making me green with envy. If only more series received that kind of treatment...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 17th, 2018, 9:35 pmI also got this one from my girlfriend, which is also essential for SF fans I'd say:
I had a look at that, and then the deluxe edition caught my eye. I would just be happy to never read it (highly unlikely though) and just have it sitting on my shelf!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Twice or three times the price though. But yeah!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: January 17th, 2018, 10:45 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: January 17th, 2018, 9:35 pmI also got this one from my girlfriend, which is also essential for SF fans I'd say:
I had a look at that, and then the deluxe edition caught my eye. I would just be happy to never read it (highly unlikely though) and just have it sitting on my shelf!
Wow I need that in my life!!
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: January 17th, 2018, 12:53 pm I got mine yesterday too and it is lovely. I have the spectrum one too so the only issue I have is the numbers 3 and 5 on the side, they are not doing my OCD any good! :P
:lol: I only have the NES one currently, so this sits nicely next to that so my numbers are comfortably OCD :lol: .

I did however not get my scanline bookmark and SNES Blueprint poster, which was a shame, although I contacted them and they are sending me out my extra bits, they were very apologetic and friendly though so I'm more than understanding and happy with.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I do fancy the Nes one so I will be fine with 3, 4 and 5 I hope :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

Beautiful Destiny Grimoire book coming out.

https://bungiestore.com/products/preord ... y-volume-i
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Looks pretty! Bungie clearly put so much effort into the lore of Destiny that it's just such a shame they bodged the execution of it in the games themselves. Or at least they did in my view.

There was certainly more of it in the sequel and it was put across well enough, but by that point they seemed to be assuming you were pretty up to speed and had done your homework from the first game, so in terms of what was actually going on it largely passed me by!