The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think you guys are being a little over two years late to the "I regret buying MGSV" party. :P

Ah, the memories...
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

This is excellent timing for me. Just signed up for PS+ and finally got around to playing my free copy of Ground Zeroes on Xbox just this week. I'm fired up for MGS again after a decade's absence.

And I never got around to Amnesia either. Fantastic month personally.

Hue's great too!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I got around to playing Ground Zeros around the same time as I was playing through Phantom Pain. And I just as PP's strength is in it's over-ambitious, not-quite finished, sprawling, flawed and beautiful mess, GZ's strength is in it's smaller scaled and much more focused sandbox.

Both games are definitely worth having in the collection. And I agree: great memories...
Joshihatsumitsu

Well, after reading this Ars Technica article regarding Gran Turismo Sport's decision to push everything online, I can confidently say that Sony has just made my purchasing decision very easy for me.

Sorry Gran Turismo, I'm out. Had some good times, and some mediocre times, but it's here that we part ways. I could bitch and moan (I really could), but the most constructive thing I can do is vote with my money. :(
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Well that conference was pretty underwhelming......
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I felt it went in a weird emotional curve that didn’t leave me thinking great things about ‘brand playstation’ by the end.

Spelunky 2! Cute game about paintings coming to life! Fun looking racing game! Infanticide! Someone getting their arms broken with a hammer! Fin,
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Flabyo wrote: October 30th, 2017, 6:43 pm I felt it went in a weird emotional curve that didn’t leave me thinking great things about ‘brand playstation’ by the end.

Spelunky 2! Cute game about paintings coming to life! Fun looking racing game! Infanticide! Someone getting their arms broken with a hammer! Fin,
Yeah Detroit and TLOU2 made me feel very uncomfortable.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fortunately the dialogue and delivery in Detroit were so predictably clunky as to make it completely unaffecting.
;)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing. Everything else......meh.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having been working my way through the Berserk manga recently, TLOU2 seemed quite 'try-hard' and gratuitous. Hopefully that level of explicit violence will have a bit more of an emotional punch in context.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Ghost of Tsushima was definitely the stand-out from that. They didn't really show anything from the game, but from the little bit of information they gave after the initial show was over, they seemed to make it sound like an open world samurai simulator. That's something I've wanted to get my hands on for so long. So I'm excited for that.

The rest was mostly meh, but Concrete Genie looked really good to me. Fantastic art style with a really fun way to interact with the world, with the paintings that come to life. Very cool. I'll definitely want to pick that one up.

I suppose Codemaster's new game looked alright. They usually make great racing games, and it's cool to see them branch out in to something that's not their usual staple of stuff. Something a bit more loony too, which we definitely need more of in racing games these days. It looks extremely similar to Motorstorm though. Before the logo showed up, I was sure it was going to be another one of those. Not sure I'll get it though. I tend to not care for off-road racing games. We so badly need some kind of successor to Burnout...

Spelunky 2 was an odd one. I've never played it myself, but Spelunky seems like one of those games where it doesn't really make sense for there to be a sequel. It's like trying to make a Minecraft 2. But hey, people love Spelunky, so sure, let's have another one.

With these kinds of shows, you generally can't expect much. Usually unless it's E3, or if you're very lucky TGS or Gamescom, these smaller events never really show off anything that exciting. That is unless you're Nintendo and you just put out some bonkers Direct. Yet even those seem to be somewhat rare, between the underwhelming ones. So going by those standards, I think this Sony event was pretty good. We got one new game that looks like it could be a yearly highlight, and one smaller indie game that looks very intriguing and unique. And a bunch of stuff that looked fun enough. I'm happy with that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle wrote: October 30th, 2017, 9:16 pm Spelunky 2 was an odd one. I've never played it myself, but Spelunky seems like one of those games where it doesn't really make sense for there to be a sequel. It's like trying to make a Minecraft 2.
Not at all, it’s more like making a Super Mario Bros. 2. New enemies, new items, new secrets, new objectives and, yes, new level layouts - because although they are procedurally generated it is to a very rigid and specific set of rules per environment. Tweaks to that algorithm in conjunction and aligned with new obstacles and enemies more than justifies a numbered sequel in my view.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My gut is that all the stuff in the Spleunky 2 teaser about ‘looking to the sky’ means it’s going to be a completely different game entirely. Not ‘more of the same but better’ like Steamworld Dig 2, but more of a ‘same world, new game design’ like Steamworld Heist was to Dig.

Derek Yu doesn’t strike me as someone that would be interested in just retreading the same idea.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I was actually getting the same feeling watching that little teaser. It was somewhat of a surprise that it was even Spelunky 2. Thought it might be a totally different game that just happened to have a character connection to Spelunky. Kind of like Teslagrad and World to the West. "Looking to the sky" definitely made me think it would be somehow flying-based. The sky and the concept of spelunking don't exactly go together.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The SotC remake may "only" be composed of a fresh new coat of paint on top of the old game, but damn if that trailer didn't make me smile. If there's a classic that deserves this kind of attention, then it's probably this one. Looking forward to it.

I love how they put together a one-minute long trailer for God of War just to reassure fans that "yes, there's gonna be combat in the new GoW, don't worry!" Looks good. Cautiously optimistic. :P

I think Detroit actually does have some narrative potential... The concept of sentient AIs existing within human society and the moral implications stemming from it does sound intriguing on paper. I fully expect Cage and his acolytes to completely botch the execution, though.

Monster Hunter looks vibrant and fun. Maybe this is the one that'll make me a fan?

And lastly, when I think of Resident Evil, "aiming down sights at vaguely amorphous bullet sponges" is not the first thing that pops into my head. Maybe that's just me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Personally I’m thinking Spelunky 2 won’t be *that* radical a genre departure.

Certainly some new aspects and ideas but fundamentally platforming, roguelike on (in) the moon (and perhaps beyond)!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 30th, 2017, 10:33 pm And lastly, when I think of Resident Evil, "aiming down sights at vaguely amorphous bullet sponges" is not the first thing that pops into my head. Maybe that's just me.
Funny that's one of the first things I think about ;)

On the press conferece itself there's little to be said
They are finnaly gonna release that free update for RE7 that took awhile but at least it looks substantial, YES! for the Monster Hunter beta on PSN because I need to play more of that game, from what I played it's everything I want it to be as someone who never got into the series. Lastlly Ghost of Tsushima looks interesting it seems to take place during Kublai Khan's attempted invasion of Japan so I think it's an alt history sort of thing, it's a cool setting but gameplaywise I dont know anything other then it's gonna be open world, it would be neat if this was the "oriental" Witcher 3 some people were clamoring for after Wild Hunt.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 30th, 2017, 10:33 pmI think Detroit actually does have some narrative potential... The concept of sentient AIs existing within human society and the moral implications stemming from it does sound intriguing on paper. I fully expect Cage and his acolytes to completely botch the execution, though.
In a world where the NBCU - Neil Breen Cinematic Universe - exists, I kinda want David Cage to make movies too. I'm always on the search for good-bad dialogue, and bonkers story twists, and I believe he could do that, easily.

Again, apologies for pre-judging a game... I mean, I could be surprised. I greatly doubt it, but anything is possible. Right? :|
Sean

Post by Sean »

Up until now, I had high hopes for Detroit. As I've said on our Quantic Dream podcasts, I think they get better with each game. That's not saying much, I know, but, still, I was hopeful that trend would continue.

So, while I'm gonna try and not let this new scene dampen my hopes *too* much, I can't shake the feeling that, this scene felt like very Heavy Rain-era stuff. Overly hammy dialogue and acting, despite trying to tackle the very real-world danger of child abuse. Maybe this was a scene Cage wrote all by himself?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Personally, I think Detroit looks good, but I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond. I think anyone hoping for an 'upgrade' of those two games is going to be sorely disappointed. This has got Cage's stink all over it, from the terrible acting to the ridiculous dialogue to the awkward handling of real world issues. And I can't wait. :lol: